JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Coltrane galaxy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coltrane galaxy
    Posted: 11 May 2011 at 10:27am
Trane's legacy

Mostly to mention some of Coltrane's sidekicks' later works (post july 67) and their best works:... but I kind of avoid the really dissonant stuff (free-jazz)

Alice Coltrane - Ptah el Daoud
Carlos Santana et Alice Coltrane - Illuminations
Carlos & John McLaughlin - Love Devotion Surrender
McCoy Tyner - Sahara
McCoy Tyner - A Song For My Lady
McCoy Tyner - Extensions
McCoy Tyner - Asante
Pharoah sanders - Karma
Elvin Jones - On The Mountain
McCoy Tyner - Song Of The New World
Alice Coltrane - Journey in Satchidananda
Archie shepp - The Way ahead.
Pharoah Sanders - Summun, Bukmun, Umyun (aka Deaf Dumb Blind)

Other additions are welcome

Edited by Sean Trane - 12 May 2011 at 3:12am
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 3:51pm
Leon Thomas - Spirits of Known & Unknown: fabulous sang jazz tunes in the vein of Pharoah Sanders.

Don Cherry - Organic Music Society

Lonnie Liston Smith - Expansions and Astral Travelling
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 7:13pm

This is my personal opinion. Therefore, it cannot know whether this opinion is general.

I felt zeal and the breath of Coltrane succeeded a little in the music character of "Emergency" of Tony Williams.

Of course, the relation between the member and Coltrane of Lifetime might be little.

However, overwhelming power of the organ and the guitar. And, it was felt that the part of ensemble beyond strange looked like the blissout that Coltrane had done.

Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by Kazuhiro Kazuhiro wrote:

This is my personal opinion. Therefore, it cannot know whether this opinion is general.

I felt zeal and the breath of Coltrane succeeded a little in the music character of "Emergency" of Tony Williams.

Of course, the relation between the member and Coltrane of Lifetime might be little.

However, overwhelming power of the organ and the guitar. And, it was felt that the part of ensemble beyond strange looked like the blissout that Coltrane had done.

Actually, you're not alone, I was going to mention that album but then thought better not heh.

Both, Larry Young and McLaughlin were/are Coltrane fans as far as I'm aware of, so you're not stretching things. And well, Tony Williams is like an Elvin Jones having done a step forward towards the rock genre.
A lot of the jamming in there, while psychedelic and rockish in nature, can have that aura and freeness of Coltrane, I agree.
The same goes for John McLaughlin's Devotion, to a lesser extent.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2011 at 3:10am
Originally posted by Abraxas Abraxas wrote:

Leon Thomas - Spirits of Known & Unknown: fabulous sang jazz tunes in the vein of Pharoah Sanders.

Don Cherry - Organic Music Society

Lonnie Liston Smith - Expansions and Astral Travelling

i'd put these two in the Sanders sub-galaxy really!!!....

Not a big fan of Leon Thomas and his schmaltzy-spritual chants...

Love Astral Travelling, though. Approve
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic