JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Jazz Drummer recommendations?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jazz Drummer recommendations?
    Posted: 09 May 2011 at 1:46pm

It seems as though my favorite jazz albums are those that are "fronted" by the drummer such as Bill Bruford and Bruford's Earthworks, and Dave Weckl's solo albums.  I've heard one Billy Cobham album and I really like that.  I also like Brand X with Phil Collins.  With older jazz I seem to prefer the music of drummers like Buddy Rich and even Gene Krupa over the horn legends like Miles Davis or John Coltrane.  What other jazz drummers are there that I am missing that I should be checking out? 

Edited by rushfan4 - 09 May 2011 at 1:48pm
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2011 at 1:57pm
I'd say the two best that you might like based on what you already like are Tony Williams and Jack DeJohnette.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2011 at 2:02pm
Thank you.  I've heard of both of them, but to date I haven't checked them out yet.  I've heard good things about Tony Williams' Lifetime.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2011 at 2:06pm
If you want to hear DeJohnette at his best, check out live Miles albums like 'Live at Fillmore' or 'Live Evil'. No one else plays the drums like that.
Another good live drummer album is 'Shabazz'  by Cobham
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2011 at 2:15pm

I definitely need to check out more Cobham.  I only have By Design from his "solo" albums.

Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2011 at 2:58pm
Elvin Jones is a legendary drummer.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2011 at 3:00pm
^ yes he is, his work with Coltrane is sort of the bridge between those older drummers you like and someone like DeJohnette.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2011 at 3:02pm
Interesting.  In 1999, Jones worked with Our Lady Peace on their album Happiness...Is Not a Fish That You Can Catch. He was featured playing drums on the song "Stealing Babies", which was also featured on their 2009 compilation album The Very Best of Our Lady Peace

I am listening to this track now.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2011 at 3:06pm
He is also originally from Pontiac, MI, which is where I had dinner on Saturday night.  I don't remember hearing his name before, which is strange since he is from the vicinity. 
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2011 at 3:09pm
Is there any jazz with heavy drumming except that Fusion that lies more on the rock side? 
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2011 at 3:29pm
This album

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2011 at 3:29pm
I'm not sure what you mean by heavy drumming, whats an example of that?
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2011 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by js js wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean by heavy drumming, whats an example of that?

Well I can't give you any because I really don't know any examples. LOL But I've read this expression a lot, and also "heavy on the drums". IDN, "powerful" drumming? Drumming in jazz is usually subtle. (Again, I'm ignoring Jazz-Rock of course).
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2011 at 3:53pm
^ Ronald Shannon Jackson comes to mind. His work with Last Exit is very heavy on the drums, but Last Exit is almost more like noise-rock than jazz, but they are all jazz players.
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2011 at 7:00pm

The technology and individuality might be various depending on the drum player. Elvin Jones and Jack DeJohnette that opinions gather are already wonderful musicians. The performance was always reformative of course.

I recommend Bill Stewart as a drum player these days. He thinks that the rhythm of jazz was really evolved.

Or, I think that Shelly Manne and Philliy Joe Jones are good if looking for from traditional jazz.

And, if it is an expert of the wire brush, Ed Thigpen might be wonderful.

triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2011 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

Is there any jazz with heavy drumming except that Fusion that lies more on the rock side? 

Buddy Rich.
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2011 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by triceratopsoil triceratopsoil wrote:

Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

Buddy Rich.

Max Roach?
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2011 at 8:40pm
A musician not often mentioned for his drumming (other things for sure) is Lionel Hampton.  He was a fantastic jazz drummer.

idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2011 at 1:29am
Two names worth checkin
Trilok Gurtu
Manu Katche
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2011 at 3:11am
Originally posted by Prog Geo Prog Geo wrote:

Elvin Jones is a legendary drummer.

The amazing part is that he really banged on those skins...

During sets, his wife (acting as a roadie) had to push back the drum set some two fzeet backwards, because her hubby drove the kit frontwards from hitting it so much >>> mind you in the 60's, those drum kits were much lighter than the monsters of the 70's.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic