Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

R.I.P. RUDY VAN GELDER (1924-2016)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: R.I.P. RUDY VAN GELDER (1924-2016)
    Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 1:03am
R.I.P. RUDY VAN GELDER (1924-2016)

We're deeply saddened by the loss of another Blue Note legend, the great recording engineer Rudy Van Gelder, who has passed away at age 91. Read The New York Times obituary.

Rudy was as vital a part of the "Blue Note Sound" as the incredible musicians he recorded, and his importance to the legacy of jazz cannot be overstated. In addition to his work with other labels, most notably Impulse! for whom he recorded classics including John Coltrane's A Love Supreme, Rudy was the go-to recording engineer for Blue Note Records between 1953-1972, capturing in sterling sound the monuments of the Blue Note catalog.

Rudy first came to the attention of Blue Note founder Alfred Lion in 1952 when Rudy was still a practicing optometrist moonlighting as a recording engineer, and Alfred began using him regularly the next year. Rudy initially recorded sessions on evenings and weekends in his parent’s living room in Hackensack, New Jersey, giving each label a day of the week for their sessions. Later on, in 1959, he closed his optometry practice and built his own studio in Englewood Cliffs, a holy site of jazz music.

Blue TrainSong for My FatherThe SidewinderMoanin’Somethin’ ElseBack at the Chicken ShackMidnight BlueSpeak No EvilMaiden Voyage, he recorded them all and thousands more. Our Classic Hits playlist is a staggering collection of landmark recordings that Rudy allowed to shine bright. Our Classic Ballads playlist becomes an elegy in his honor.

Thank you Rudy, for all that you gave the world of music. Rest In Peace.

from www.bluenote.com

Cannonball With Hat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2016 at 9:37pm
Truly a classic, truly unparalleled.
RIP
Hit it on Five.

Saxophone Scatterbrain Blitzberg

Stab them in the ears.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic