Hard bop or hardly bop?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 12:12pm
^ that one sounds like sort of 'out there' hard bop, but I think hard bop is still the best tag for that one.
liontime View Drop Down
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liontime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 11:42am
What about Jackie Mclean's album One Step Beyond? Seems like the title would suggest post bop but it walks that line really carefully.
liontime View Drop Down
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liontime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 11:40am
Thanks for the link! Very helpful actually. I don't think Contours ever really gets atonal, but it's not all that straightforward either. Pretty cool album! Hard to classify haha
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 10:32am
Originally posted by js js wrote:

No, generally modal isn't AG, we tend to define AG as atonal, or mostly atonal.

You might enjoy checking out this thread:
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 10:28am
No, generally modal isn't AG, we tend to define AG as atonal, or mostly atonal.
liontime View Drop Down
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liontime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 10:24am
Good to know! The third track, Euterpe, is particularly interesting with (what I believe to be) a modal baseline throughout. Don't know if that would push it over to AG.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 10:04am
Writing reviews helps, posting in the forums helps too. If you have any friends that like jazz, tell them about the site.

RE Sam Rivers album, just listened to samples on allmusic and amazon and it seems Post Bop would be a good fit. Allmusic describes the album as being in between post bop and AG.
liontime View Drop Down
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liontime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 9:51am
What's the best way for jazz fans who like the site to help you guys out? Writing reviews? Posting in the forums?
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 9:42am
Originally posted by liontime liontime wrote:

I'm sure it's much easier for me to come up with genre bordering albums than it is for you to take time out of your day to listen and assess haha. But what about Sam Rivers' Contours? To me that seems like a good candidate for post bop

No problem, I'll check it out, we want to have correct genre tags. I'm in this for the long haul. Stern Smile
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 9:41am
The front page of the site just crashed, gotta notify the owner.  Ermm
liontime View Drop Down
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liontime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 9:40am
I'm sure it's much easier for me to come up with genre bordering albums than it is for you to take time out of your day to listen and assess haha. But what about Sam Rivers' Contours? To me that seems like a good candidate for post bop
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 9:37am
Thanks  Wink
liontime View Drop Down
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liontime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 9:29am
I agree with your rulings!
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 9:21am
Last night I listened to the first one again and changed the tag to Hard Bop. The next three are tagged Post Bop.
I left "This is Our Music" as AG, the album opens with a hard bop number, but then they get outside after that, and more or less stay there, although the self recorded cassette I have seems to be missing a few tracks towards the end.
liontime View Drop Down
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liontime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 9:17am
Just re-read your criteria for hard bop again and it seems like Something Else!!! at least should be tagged as hard bop. It's very bluesy. The album still sounds really fresh to my ears though. It must have seemed totally alien in '58 haha. What are your thoughts? Is it avant-garde enough?

Edited by liontime - 23 Apr 2017 at 9:20am
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 2:59am
I'm listening to the first one again, this one is unique. I like that neo be bop sound on this one.
liontime View Drop Down
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liontime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 9:15pm
the first six or seven are all impeccable. It's a really respectable series of albums.
liontime View Drop Down
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liontime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 9:13pm
I honestly really like his quintet. I love all his work but the first album has a special place in my heart. Specifically the tracks Blessing and Sphinx. Just some really great jazz.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 7:04pm
Their second album definitely starts sounding a little more like Ornette. Looking forward to checking out the third one tomorrow when Charlie Haden joins the group. 
liontime View Drop Down
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liontime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 6:53pm
Yeah I inagine it's that classic first album deal where the label wants you to be at least a little conservative
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic