JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music News, Press Releases
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Kamasi Washington,McCoy Tyner to Play Free NYC Gig
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Kamasi Washington,McCoy Tyner to Play Free NYC Gig

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kamasi Washington,McCoy Tyner to Play Free NYC Gig
    Posted: 22 Feb 2016 at 11:53am

Kamasi Washington, McCoy Tyner to Play Free NYC Gigs

Among featured jazz shows at SummerStage

By JazzTimes

New York City’s City Parks Foundation has announced a handful of concerts in this upcoming season’s SummerStage series, including two free major jazz shows.

The McCoy Tyner Quartet, plus groups led by bassist Ron Carter and drummer Roy Haynes, will perform June 4 at 6:00 pm, and Kamasi Washington, the rising-star saxophonist, will perform on June 18 at 6:00 p.m. Both shows are in association with the Blue Note Jazz Festival and will take place in Central Park.

In addition, the Charlie Parker Jazz Festival, produced in association with SummerStage, has announced appearances by Jason Lindner’s Breeding Ground in Marcus Garvey Park on Aug. 26 and the Donny McCaslin Quartet in Tompkins Square Park on Aug. 28.

The City Parks Foundation will present more than 130 events in all this summer, with more specific dates to be announced soon.

Cannonball With Hat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2016 at 9:11pm
Oooooo...that McCoy Tyner show looks like a possibility. What kind of stuff does he play these days? (I think I've only heard up to his 70s albums)
Hit it on Five.

Saxophone Scatterbrain Blitzberg

Stab them in the ears.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2016 at 9:59pm
I would guess that if he is doing a show with Kamasi Washington, they are going to do an all out Coltrane style mid 60s modal jam. Washington is a descendant of this style, and he does it with fire and his own personality, he is very popular right now with the 'jam-band jazz' fans, and of course Tyner is a natural for this. 

Edited by js - 22 Feb 2016 at 11:16pm
Cannonball With Hat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2016 at 12:04am
Oh. I assumed from the above blurb they would be separate shows.
Hit it on Five.

Saxophone Scatterbrain Blitzberg

Stab them in the ears.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2016 at 6:34am

Wow!!!

This is more like a dream come true

Edited by Sean Trane - 25 Feb 2016 at 6:35am
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic