JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Suggest new bands/artists to JMA
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

VOODOO DOGS - smooth jazz fusion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VOODOO DOGS - smooth jazz fusion
    Posted: 18 Feb 2016 at 5:26pm
Kinda sounds like a mix of synthfunk Headhunters era Herbie Hancock with ethnic downtempo electronica of the 90s with a smooth Rippingtons type of pop jazz going on

Edited by siLLy puPPy - 18 Feb 2016 at 5:27pm
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2016 at 12:52am
added        
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2016 at 7:14am
Acid jazz? I was expecting some kind of jazz fusion like post 70s or something. Can you tell how much trip hop constitutes acid jazz? I mean isn't acid jazz just a subset of post 70s eclectic fusion? Also acid jazz is listed here as jazz related and this album is clearly jazz first and electronica second. Confused!
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2016 at 8:13am
Its somewhat modern dance beats topped with jazzy solos, that leaves the choices as either JR RnB or Acid Jazz.
The repeated use of 90s style looped beats and the kitschy psychedelia of tracks like "Spellbound", pushed it towards Acid Jazz.

What other acid jazz artists are you familiar with that you used in your deduction?
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2016 at 11:45am
I'm not super familiar with acid jazz. I'm aware of Hancock, Corduroy and a few others. I'm asking more for my own educational distinction since there are so many subs here and it seems like some of them cross over
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2016 at 11:48am
Club beats (looped beats, house or hip-hop) plus jazzy solos (or jazzy singing) equals Acid Jazz. Check out some of the other artists we have in the genre.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic