JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Suggest new bands/artists to JMA
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gill Scott Heron (and Brian Jackson)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gill Scott Heron (and Brian Jackson)
    Posted: 03 May 2011 at 12:05pm
Definitely worth the inclusion for the founding father of jazzy rap ...

Sounds like a no-brainer to me.... but I think that I'd better ask around
Ricochet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricochet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2011 at 1:16pm
Ehh, jazzy rap?

To be as diplomatic as the JMA moderators, "I'm not hearing enough jazz in it." Tongue
We'd be including a soul/rap/hip-hop artist, foremost - methinks.

Edited by Ricochet - 03 May 2011 at 1:16pm

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2011 at 1:30pm
Brian Jackson was definitely adding a jazz piano to GSH's rant and raps....

No danger of adding rap artistes because GSH would be included, though...

Edited by Sean Trane - 03 May 2011 at 1:31pm
Ricochet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricochet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2011 at 1:32pm
That sounds more like focusing on Jackson than adding Small Talk at 125th and Lenox for no real reason.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2011 at 1:48pm
Hey Rico,

don't just trust me on this one....LOL

Look up RYM ans see what they say of

and of his works with BJ

Ricochet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricochet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2011 at 1:51pm
Don't trust me either, from what I've heard (in rush, except 2010's I'm New Here, which I devoured) I wouldn't add him. Smile

Edited by Ricochet - 03 May 2011 at 1:51pm

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2011 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by Ricochet Ricochet wrote:

Don't trust me either, from what I've heard (in rush, except 2010's I'm New Here, which I devoured) I wouldn't add him. Smile
I was slightly disappointed with that returning album.... everyone had spoken wonders about it, and when I finally got hold of it at the library system..... way underwhelmed....

I think most are a little too admirative of his previous glorious past achievements.
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2011 at 1:23am
added
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2011 at 5:09am
ClapStarWinkSmile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2011 at 6:45am
Discography entered - no line-ups though
Moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2011 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Definitely worth the inclusion for the founding father of jazzy rap ...

Sounds like a no-brainer to me.... but I think that I'd better ask around

I see he has been added ... he deserves it ... but if you want to listen to the earliest rap and incendiary lyrics, you gotta catch his piece in the "Performance" movie soundtrack ... yeah ... he was rap before anyone knew what rap was, and we're talking 1968 ... or there abouts!

But I would imagine that he should/would/could be considered more of a "jazz" performer in that he was quite free form and more poetry oriented than anything else ... I'm not sure that fits into the "jazz" section that is not usually fond of "lyrics", but it was quite experimental and original in its time and place ... and he was ignored.

I prefer to single him out along side of a Bob Dylan, Roy Harper, Peter Hammill ... the eternal and never stop poets that will use one note or 10 notes as they see fit, and sometimes giving the music a description is scary ... I would never buy Gil because it was jazz ... but because I know the poetry is inspiring and he is one of the original "beat" poets ... the group that he fits in with the most ... but I'm not sure that we want to study "beat-poetry-ism" in a jazz board.
... And then one day, the prophet said that you and I would know what is art ... and real!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic