JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music News, Press Releases
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Resonance to Release 1966 Thad Jones-Mel Lewis Set
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Resonance to Release 1966 Thad Jones-Mel Lewis Set

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Resonance to Release 1966 Thad Jones-Mel Lewis Set
    Posted: 22 Jan 2016 at 2:49pm

Resonance to Release 2-CD 1966 Thad Jones-Mel Lewis Set

Recorded live at the Village Vanguard

By JazzTimes

Resonance Records has announced the Feb. 19 release of the two-CD Thad Jones/Mel Lewis Orchestra’s All My Yesterdays: The Debut 1966 Recordings at the Village Vanguard. According to a press release, “This first official release of these recordings capturing the Thad Jones/Mel Lewis Orchestra in their opening night performance at the legendary Village Vanguard in NYC on February 7, 1966, a performance that launched a tradition of successive Monday night appearances by the Thad Jones/Mel Lewis Orchestra that lasted 12 years and which continues today through the dedication of the band's musical heir, the Vanguard Jazz Orchestra.” 

The release includes over 100 minutes of music, with a 92-page book, featuring
rare, previously unpublished photos, essays, interviews and memoirs. Contributors include executive producer George Klabin, who recorded the original tapes, producer Zev Feldman, associate producer Chris Smith (author of The View from the Back of the Band: The Life and Music of Mel Lewis), longtime Vanguard Jazz Orchestra arranger and pianist Jim McNeely, and trombonist/educator and current member of the Vanguard Orchestra John Mosca. All of the living musicians who played on these recordings contributed to the notes, recounting their personal experiences of the Thad Jones / Mel Lewis Orchestra. Included are accounts from saxophonists Jerry Dodgion, Eddie Daniels and Marv "Doc" Holladay, trumpeter Jimmy Owens, trombonists Garnett Brown and Tom Macintosh, along with bassist Richard Davis. The pages display rare photos by Chuck Stewart, Raymond Ross, Ray Avery and Jan Persson.

Track List

Disc One - Recorded Feb. 7, 1966
Back Bone (13:21)
All My Yesterdays (4:22)
Big Dipper (5:51)
Mornin' Reverend (4:49)
The Little Pixie (14:24)
Big Dipper (alt take) (5:44)

Disc Two - Recorded March 21, 1966
Low Down (4:38)
Lover Man (5:24)
Ah, That's Freedom (10:08)