JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Sarah Vaughan Stamp to Be Issued by USPS in 2016
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sarah Vaughan Stamp to Be Issued by USPS in 2016

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antongf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sarah Vaughan Stamp to Be Issued by USPS in 2016
    Posted: 22 Jan 2016 at 1:15pm
I recently learned that the United States Postal Service is going to issue a new stamp commemorating jazz singer Sarah Vaughan in 2016. This is certainly great news. You may find more information about this HERE. In the same post I discuss two albums by Sassy that I really love—one of them more pop-oriented, and the other one more of a jazz offering. Great news for all jazz lovers and stamp collectors! Smile

This leads me to ask the question: What's your favorite Sarah Vaughan jazz album? Mine, by far, is the one she made with Clifford Brown, although the one she cut with Oscar Peterson late in her career, How Long Has This Been Going On, is very good also.

Edited by antongf - 22 Jan 2016 at 1:17pm
antongf View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antongf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2016 at 1:20pm
I will expand my question: What are your favorite Sarah Vaughan jazz and pop albums? My favorite among her pop albums is Misty.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2016 at 1:27pm
That is good news about the stamp, I believe Slava also posted that a while back. 
Sarah Vaughan is not someone I have pursued much, but I think I may have a couple albums of hers to check out sometime, (I buy old records in bulk sometimes), I should probably get around to that.
Funkarello28 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Funkarello28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 11:13am
Misty is great tune! Both music and lyrics are wonderful. Sarah Vaughan really nails it. 
The band that accompanies her as well sounds gorgeous. This is my favorite rendition of Misty done by a vocalist. 
Splanky View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Splanky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2016 at 6:44pm
I agree - my favorite Sassy album is the one with Brownie and "Lullaby of Birdland" is my favorite song of hers.

Scott W. Weaver
www.splankyradio.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic