JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >I Have A Question For You......?
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - I want to explore the Jazz horizon... please help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I want to explore the Jazz horizon... please help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I want to explore the Jazz horizon... please help
    Posted: 15 Oct 2015 at 3:02am
Greetings all,
I'm really into Sonny Rollins, Cannonball Aderrley...plus, as some people call them the standard, Miles, Parker, Coltrane, ect.

I'm looking for recommendations of artist and albums.
Like I mentioned above, I'm really into Rollins and Cannonball....I guess I'm more into the Saxophone type Jazz artist. So maybe I can get reco's along those two type of artist....or anything awesome worth hearing.

Please forgive the bad spelling...lol

Edited by Eman - 15 Oct 2015 at 3:04am
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2015 at 6:51am
From the next generation, here's a guy influenced by both of those artists: Joe Lovano.
Tell me what you think, I have more.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YebOyztBhwA
Eman View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2015 at 2:45pm

js.... Lovano is right up my alley.
Thanks for the reco... Do you have a favorite album of his?
And if you don't mind, whenever you have the time, keep the recos coming. I reallly appreciate it.
...And thanx for being so kind...I've been on other forums and if you're not a regular you get ignored.

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2015 at 3:22pm
Thanks a lot, and yes, the other sites can be snobby, and often far less knowledgeable than they pretend to be. 

Anyway, my favorite album with Lavano on it is "schlohofo", a post bop album with John Schofield, it features excellent sensitive enter play between the four band members.

Anyway, if you like Sonny Rollins, you'll probably like Dexter Gordon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfqsKcR9rBg

Edited by js - 15 Oct 2015 at 3:24pm
Eman View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2015 at 6:50pm
js,
I like Dexter....I have a couple of his albums.
Thanks for the Lavano reco.....I think I'll be picking it up.

A buddy at work suggested Moondog, what's your opinion on him.
Although I do prefer the sax, I don't want to be close mixed to other great Jazz. What are some of your favorite albums?

Thanks again for responding.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2015 at 7:11pm
Moondog is an interesting artist, but he's not really a jazz musician, he's more of an "outsider" concert hall composer and pre-minimalist composer. 

If you're still looking for great saxophonists, Coleman Hawkins is a favorite.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTOSuZR4feI&list=PL18yhXvkVdCD8jzEDzAv969MJPMfiqCqv
Eman View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2015 at 9:34pm
Ya, I also dig Hawkins..
I know what you mean about Moondog...its kind of out there.

I read that the best sounding Jazz albums are the live session and concert recordings. The supporting fact was because.... in live sessions and concerts you get the TRUE emotion of all the musicians where as when its recorded over multiple sessions and lots of editing you lose the raw emotion and the true feeling of the music. (That was an option of one blogger)

What is your option on live session and concert recordings?
Do you recommend any...
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2015 at 1:49am
Live is probably usually better, even if its just live in the studio.
Here is a hot live set featuring Thelonious Monk and Johnny Griffin.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81E90VMdkeg&list=PLv4PEAoZeRvxhu6clVALfZ2SYQgE9hoc1
FromArmstrongtoZappa View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FromArmstrongtoZappa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 8:40am
I have a few Cannonball live lps. He's an entertainer as well as a musician. John Coltrane may be my favorite for saxophone. Ballads, Kulu Se Mama, Interstellar Space, Ascention are a few that I have. I would recommend any Coltrane. Do you know the World Saxophone Quartet?
www.FromArmstrongtoZappa.blogspot.com
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 8:44am
Yeah, I think I have a couple of their records, or at least one.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic