Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

All times best selling albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: All times best selling albums
    Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 6:34am
Which are the best selling albums in jazz?
I guess that 'Kind of Blue'  is one of them if not the best selling one(at least this is what a label says on my copy of 'KOB' )
I've read that 'Officium'(which is not 100% jazz) went over 1 million albums sold several years ago and  that 'The Koln Concert' is the most sold solo piano album, but what about the others?
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 6:54am
John Coltrane - Giant steps?
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 8:05am
Any Kenny G in the top 10?
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 1:29pm
Kind of Blue and Herbie Hancock's Headhunters, I believe, hold the record for most sales in jazz. I think Time Out and Giant Steps, A Love Supreme, and Bitches Brew are not far behind.

But I'm just guessing, except for Miles and Herbie.

Edited by darkshade - 29 Apr 2011 at 1:30pm
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 3:55pm
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

Some info here: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080504083759AAgWIcf

Why is Diana Krall so popular? I haven't heard her music but no one has given me a reason to either
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 4:36pm
Why is pop music so popular? Duh... Tongue
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

Some info here: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080504083759AAgWIcf

Why is Diana Krall so popular? I haven't heard her music but no one has given me a reason to either
she's the latest jazz craze, the one that almost every jazz weakling has to own to show off, or else rface the shame.... Befiore her was Norah jones.... and since Krall , Winehouse is the one... (Is she in the db,, BTW???).
)I guess you could call them respectively  the Celine Dion,  the Jeff Buckley (Daughter/son of) and Britney spears of jazz
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 4:48pm
I dont know what her music is, but I did assume it was along the lines of pop-jazz; and I guess that's what it is?

Then why did she get picked out of the bunch?
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

she's the latest jazz craze, the one that almost every jazz weakling has to own to show off, or else rface the shame.... Befiore her was Norah jones.... and since Krall , Winehouse is the one... (Is she in the db,, BTW???).
)I guess you could call them respectively  the Celine Dion,  the Jeff Buckley (Daughter/son of) and Britney spears of jazz

Norah Jones had a big hit with that one song (the name escapes me though). What has Krall done that has brought her the popularity?
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 5:34pm
^Diana Krall came before Norah Jones, ahemm.,,,

I don't know their work too well, but from what I remember, Krall, Jones and Winehouse are pretty different from each other.

Oh, and the song you're talking about is 'Don't Know Why'.

Edited by Abraxas - 29 Apr 2011 at 5:35pm
triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 5:35pm
Winehouse isn't even famous for her music, so...
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by triceratopsoil triceratopsoil wrote:

Winehouse isn't even famous for her music, so...

Right!LOL
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by Abraxas Abraxas wrote:

I don't know their work too well, but from what I remember, Krall, Jones and Winehouse are pretty different from each other.

that's the song!

I dont care enough about any of these artists to look up their bio's Tongue
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 6:29pm

Originally posted by Abraxas Abraxas wrote:

that's the song!

I dont care enough about any of these artists to look up their bio's Tongue

I don't care much either, but I still know about them since I used to be aware of some of the mainstream music going on, which actually was a good thing since I could really "debate". Now that I barely know what's going on the mainstream, I feel lost hehe.
Not only that, in the house there is one or two Krall albums and Jones and Winehouse had one or two "hits".
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2011 at 2:18am
I think Diana Krall's Concert In Paris is pretty good and I also like very much 'The Girl In The Other Room'

Ken Burns
Stooge View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2011 at 1:33pm
I'd guess that Weather Report's Heavy Weather would be at least gold in a number of countries.
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2011 at 3:53pm
The biggest selling song that we have here is Bing Crosby........"White Christmas"  then The Frank Sinatra albums. Believe it or not,  it was those Duet ones he did about 93 and 94 Ermm that sold the most and then the other biggies "Sings Only For the Lonely"," Come Fly With Me", "Strangers In the Night", "September Of My Years", "A Swingin' Affair", and still more. As for Instrumental it would have to "Kind of Blue" I would think but Brubeck's "Time Out" would be close
Matt
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 1:37pm
one about I found out today:
Aziza Mustafa Zadeh- Dance Of Fire, over 2.000.000 copies sold worldwide
Ken Burns
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 7:26pm
^ I've only recently heard her stuff but I did notice that it'd sold a few copies so I started with that one
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic