JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >Jazz related lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Frogg Cafe

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Frogg Cafe
    Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 2:03am
I had their first, self-titled album for a while, but it didn't seem like a strong release to me, though there's a few good songs on there. I shelved it for a long time, until I got Creatures and Fortunate Observer of Time recently. I listened to Creatures so far and it's a million times better than the debut. I will listen to FOoT soon, but I realize I've been missing out on this band big time.

How's that new album? The hype from its release is what got me to re-discover this band.
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 5:13am
There is one great track on the 2010 album -Terra Sancta, unfortunately at least at Amazon it is not possible to download it, you have to buy the whole album.
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
Nathaniel607 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathaniel607 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 6:06am
It's super awesome. Go get it now!
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 9:11am
Frogg Cafe are definitely one of my favorite newer bands.  I rated their new album as my top album for 2010 releases on PA. 
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 9:31am
They are one of the best jazz rock bands that I've listened to.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 1:19pm
Once I get through the 2 albums I got, I will get their new album next. They are such a good band
triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 1:21pm
I've not listened to them yet.  Any of you know my tastes well enough to know if I would like it?
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by triceratopsoil triceratopsoil wrote:

I've not listened to them yet.  Any of you know my tastes well enough to know if I would like it?

do you like jazz-rock with a dose of prog rock, and Frank Zappa? If so, you should enjoy them
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 1:30pm
Check these out:

I think that these might give you an idea of whether you might like them or not.
Cannonball With Hat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Frogg Cafe are definitely one of my favorite newer bands.  I rated their new album as my top album for 2010 releases on PA. 

Ditto for me. Honestly, in whatever year it came out (since I've been paying attention to music...circa 2005-2006) it probably would have been number one. And if not, certainly top three. I would recommend it even if you didn't care for any of their previous releases.

Though, I do like the debut. Tongue Certainly no where near the awesomeness of Bateless Edge or Creatures, but a strong release in itself, and better than the relatively disappointing Fortunate Observer (which still has some awesomeness sprinkled in).
Hit it on Five.

Saxophone Scatterbrain Blitzberg

Stab them in the ears.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 3:35pm
Though I talked down on the debut in my original post, I had given it another listen before I posted and I enjoyed it a lot, the writing is sometimes "jagged" though, but I find that these guys are adventurous musicians.

Also, any fan of Frank Zappa should get the debut for the "surprise" near the end of the album Wink
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 3:38pm

I think you'd find them quite bland.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

judging by his last.fm account, I'd say it could go either way.
Krilons Resa View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krilons Resa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 4:03pm
I tried getting into these guys when that album came out and it was near the top of the PA BOY list.  It wasn't for me.
That shows you the power of music, that magician of magician, who lifts his wand, says his mysterious word and all things real pass away and the phantoms of your mind walk before you clothed in flesh.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Check these out:
I think that these might give you an idea of whether you might like them or not.

Part 3 sounded pretty good, but the other two were for the most part...

Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

unfortunately, yes.  Not terrible, but not as exciting as most people make them out to be.
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 4:52pm
I know you like the insides of my pockets Tongue
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 4:54pm
Me too Tongue
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 5:37pm
How about this?

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 5:49pm
"Too smooth, bro"
-Dimebag Darrell
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 6:00pm
i understand if you dont like it, but "smooth" is not necessarily a word I would use to describe that song 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic