Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tigran Hamasyan debut for ECM

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tigran Hamasyan debut for ECM
    Posted: 12 Aug 2015 at 3:45pm
Renowned Armenian-born LA-based pianist Tigran Hamasyan is set to release his debut album for the ECM label, Luys i Luso (Light from the Light), on 4 September which features solo piano alongside the Yerevan State Chamber Choir in a deep exploration of Armenian sacred music. The project has been planned for the past two years and sees Hamasyan take sacred Armenian hymns, sharakans and cantos from the 5th to the 20th century and create new arrangements for the choir, and as vehicles for him to also improvise on. The music includes chants by saints such as Mesrop Mashtots, the 5th century saint, composer and linguist alongside Nerses Shnorhali, Grigor Narekatsi, Grigor Pahlavuni, Mkhitar Ayrivanetsi and Komitas. The album was recorded in the Armenian capital, Yerevan, last October, and produced by Manfred Eicher.

The recording comes in stark contrast to Tigran’s recent distinctly electronic and fusion influenced albums Mockroot (Nonesuch)and Shadow Theater (Verve), but is something of a continuation of his 2011 solo piano album A Fable (Verve), which featured compelling contemporary takes on traditional Armenian music.
Luys i Lusowill be followed by another for ECM in 2016, which will feature improvisations around Armenian themes, with Tigran joined by revered Norwegian musicians trumpeter Arve Henriksen, guitarist Eivind Aarset and electronics maestro Jan Bang.

Live performances of the music from
Luys i Luso began in March this year as part of a 60-date tour of churches in Georgia, Turkey, Lebanon, France, Belgium, Switzerland, the Czech Republic, Germany, Luxembourg, Russia and the United States. Tigran and eight members of the Yerevan State Chamber Choir will be performing three dates in the England and Ireland at the following venues: Union Chapel, Islington, London (15 October); Howard Assembly Room, Leeds (16 October) and Christchurch Cathedral, Dublin (17 October).

– Mike Flynn

For more info visit http://www.luysiluso.com

from  www.jazzwisemagazine.com

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2015 at 3:32am
love Tigran's Mockroot album and his concerts with Dhafer Youssef... Though i must say that A Fable bore me death, but generally rankk Tigran in my top three "world jazz" along with Dhafer and the tremendous Ibrahim maalouf.

It's a bit weird that this new project will come out on ECM (though  not all that surprising either), so hopefully, this will be an excellent sale dor Manfred EIcher. He needs to have major sellers, like this one couldprove to be.
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic