JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The "top albums" charts for genres

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltyJon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The "top albums" charts for genres
    Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 6:40pm
I'm curious...why does it seem that the charts only (seemingly) show albums with 4+ star ratings?  I've been browsing genres, and for example in Swing, Lionel Hampton's Golden Vibes has been rated/reviewed yet doesn't show in the charts.  
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 6:54pm
I think the chart you are looking at is called "Top albums" in each genre. That's basically the top rated albums in each genre.
It wasn't anything I designed or asked for, it just came with the site.

Edited by js - 27 Apr 2011 at 6:55pm
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 6:57pm
I'm not exactly sure how it works, but it seems to take in account the ratings for the whole site when determining what is "top".
There was a time when the 'top' album in Pop Jazz was 2.5
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 7:13pm
Jon, if I'm not mistaken, the same system is used for PA's Top Genre albums. It's about the ratings. (although I may have misunderstood what you were saying)
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltyJon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 7:14pm
Yeah, I'm referring to the genre charts.  I'm just curious why some of them aren't more populated when there are more album ratings or reviews which could be displayed.  Weird that it considers ratings for the whole site since some genres could get shunted and then not have anything in the charts, if I'm understanding your response right.
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltyJon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 7:16pm
Pablo, look here at the Swing charts: http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/swing%28subgenre%29.aspx

You see that there are two albums in the genre's chart, yet another album with a rating and review which doesn't show there.  That's what's confusing me, since generally the top album charts show 12 albums (right?).
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by SaltyJon SaltyJon wrote:

Pablo, look here at the Swing charts: http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/swing%28subgenre%29.aspx

You see that there are two albums in the genre's chart, yet another album with a rating and review which doesn't show there.  That's what's confusing me, since generally the top album charts show 12 albums (right?).

Oh, know I understand. 

But that's because the Hampton album is below the 4 stars (or whatever is the average established).

But you probably already figured that out,  and I might not be answering your doubt hehe.
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltyJon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 7:26pm
Well originally I thought it was only albums with 4+ star ratings make it to charts for whatever reason, but then I checked out the pop jazz charts and there's an album there with something like a 3.78 or so.  I'd just call myself generally confused at this point. LOL
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 7:36pm
mmm. It is certainly a mystery. A top album is 3.5 also in the section of DJ/Hip Hop now.
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltyJon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 7:38pm
Maybe the charts just don't like John's ratings sometimes. Tongue
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 8:22pm

Well now that you mention it, I did review/rate Where Have I Known You Before with 5 stars, but I never saw it in the charts. 
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 8:25pm

I'm sure thats it Angry

But seriously folks, I don't totally understand it either, but statistics and such are always interesting to me so I too have wondered how this works.
My guess is that it takes in consideration the whole site ratings in their configurations. For a long time there were, or still are, albums in Progressive Big  Band and Exotica that were 4 stars that did not show  ... of course I was the one that rated them  ...hmmm Ermm

Edited by js - 27 Apr 2011 at 8:27pm
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by Abraxas Abraxas wrote:

Well now that you mention it, I did review/rate Where Have I Known You Before with 5 stars, but I never saw it in the charts. 
Its pretty obvious that number of ratings are also part of the configuration, for instance and album with 5 ratings and an average of 4.90 might rate higher than an album with one rating of 5.00.
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by js js wrote:

Originally posted by Abraxas Abraxas wrote:

Its pretty obvious that number of ratings are also part of the configuration, for instance and album with 5 ratings and an average of 4.90 might rate higher than an album with one rating of 5.00.

Yes, I know that. But at the very beginning, when there were very few ratings, that album still didn't get in the charts.
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltyJon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 8:36pm
Well whatever the reasoning behind it, I hope the charts can get more filled up with time.  I've been using individual artists to find new things to listen to, but I know a lot of people like to start with the top albums and work from there. 
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 10:00pm
The charts in the older jazz genres will fill up when we get more fans of older jazz genres here. Personally I would love to see knowledgeable reviews of Coleman Hawkins and Fletcher Henderson on the front page.
I've tried advertising at sites where jazz musicians look for playing opportunities, and I have seen some people join the site, but no reviews yet.
If you guys know here to advertise for jazz fans, go for it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic