JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Recent JAZZ Purchases

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 24>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2011 at 11:53pm
Originally posted by Stooge Stooge wrote:

Originally posted by dreadpirateroberts dreadpirateroberts wrote:

Wow, what an awesome cover on the Bill Evans album ( Not so much Tony's but hahaha)

Yeah, the cover caught my eye as well.  It's a cool illustration for sure. Smile

Ordered it - so now I wait...looking forward to it but
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2011 at 1:41pm
I have been chasing 10 inches and all of these except for two were $10 each., $14 for Johnny Ray and $20 for Frankie Laine

and Wild Bill Davis.........."On The Loose" no cover can I find. Has a dog on it.

Week or two away till they arrive
Matt
Cannonball With Hat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2011 at 6:12pm
Recieved:

John Coltrane - Sun Ship
Tony Williams Lifetime - The Collection
Hit it on Five.

Saxophone Scatterbrain Blitzberg

Stab them in the ears.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2011 at 4:57pm
I just got the famous concert by "The Quintet" on vinyl in really good shape at a very low price. God bless re-issues, they are the backbone of my record collection. Approve

Edited by js - 13 Nov 2011 at 4:57pm
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2011 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by js js wrote:

I just got the famous concert by "The Quintet" on vinyl in really good shape at a very low price. God bless re-issues, they are the backbone of my record collection. Approve

Very nice, how do you like it?
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2011 at 9:03am
The musics great and the recording is not too bad. I think this may be one of those re-issues where Mingus re-recorded his bass because the bass is loud and clear.
Even for a re-issue I'm really surprised I got this record for as cheap as I did.
I also picked up an alternate mix of Don Ellis' "Shock Treatment" that I had traded off long ago and "Moog Groove" a 60s album with Moog versions of pop hits on Limelight. I have a few of these kind of records and this one is very good, it too was also way under-priced. Limelight was a leader in early electronic music, especially modern composers.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2011 at 11:16am
Yea live recordings from that time have very low bass, so it's possible they were re-recorded, or at least remixed. I don't worry about under-priced music from musicians who are dead. My opinion is once an artist is dead, his or her music should be priced low and/or available for public-use, like classical music. If it's a band, once at least 3/4 of the band is dead and the surviving members are not continuing the band. But that's for another thread...

I haven't listened to "The Quintet" in a while, I'll have to search for it. I do not know where my copy is.

I received a couple of CDs in the mail the other day (among other non-jazz albums)

Hiromi - "Voice" Big smile
Soft Machine - "Fourth"

Edited by darkshade - 14 Nov 2011 at 11:23am
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2011 at 1:43pm
All his stuff from 1944 to 1951...........Beltone, Atlas and the majority is all his Mercury stuff. I have to have it and there is no other place to find all his material. Even if one could find all his records from this period which I know are not out there and if so what is the condition of them? Anyway six discs containing Frankie singing Jazz. Sounds wonderful to me. Don't forget the book as well that will come with it. Good ole Bear Family Records, no half arse jobs from them. There is another two sets as well Geek Maybe I can get em' all here at home to put in and get me "I Believe" or better still the "Rawhide" one.....that has nine discs Wink xmas is coming Smile

Also look who has a newie out.

Folk Tale

Luv ya Christy. best folk singer out there today in my humble opinion
Matt
Stooge View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2011 at 11:23am
Keith Jarrett - Mysteries / Shades

Dick Heath View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick Heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2011 at 9:00am
New or forthcoming album by Jake Hertoz, Evolution (Buckyball Records) is a nice, if occasionally quirky mix of guitar-lead jazz  and jazz fusion.
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2011 at 2:09pm
RawhideI Believe

I have become his number 1 fan LOL Rawhide arrived yesterday and you know some days things just don't seem to be going right but like a bright light in total darkness when I opened it, on top was an lp size glossy of him,signed by Frankie himself ( not a copy) .He signed the first batch for every Rawhide box. I will frame it and stick it on the living area wall with my other Jazz pics. Star Thumbs Up He was a star
Matt
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2011 at 6:17pm
Bought:

Tony Williams - Emergency
Hit it on Five.

Stab them in the ears.
Stooge View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2011 at 11:23am
Found a few cheap vinyl while Christmas shopping ($2 each):

Eberhard Weber (Colours) - Little Movements

Jim Hall - Commitment
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2011 at 11:05pm
Jazz and related christmas gifts:

Peter Broztmann - Die Like A Dog Quartet Box Set
John Coltrane - Live At The Village Vangard box set
                          - Complete Africa Brass
Gilgamesh - Another Fine Tune You've Got Me Into
Bela Fleck - Rocket Science
Weather Report - Procession
Full Blast - Black Hole
John Zorn - Zorn/Graves Duo (50th Borthday Celebration)
The Wrong Object - Platform One
Earthworks - Stomping Ground
Bruford/Borshap - In Two MInds
Hit it on Five.

Stab them in the ears.
Stooge View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2011 at 9:37am
A few jazz albums under the my tree:

Cecil Taylor - Looking Ahead!/Love For Sale/Hard Driving Jazz

Endangered Blood - S/t

Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2011 at 2:28pm

cover artcover artcover artcover artcover artcover artHound Dog Taylor and the Houserockers [Vinyl]In the Remains

Usual mix.
Matt
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2012 at 1:20am
Ordered:

Miles Davis - Nefertiti
                        Socerer
                        Seven Steps To Heaven
Magnus Ostrum - Thread Of Life
Supersilent - 4
Hit it on Five.

Stab them in the ears.
Stooge View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2012 at 4:28pm
Spent some Christmas money today.

Stevie Wonder - Music of My Mind

Roy Haynes / Phineas Newborn / Paul Cgambers - We Three

Kenny Drew - Undercurrent

Naked City - Absinthe

Stooge View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2012 at 1:15pm
Art Ensemble of Chicago - Chi Congo

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2012 at 3:28am
Ordered:

Coltrane - The Major Works Of John Coltrane
Wadada Leo Smith - Lake Biwa
Hit it on Five.

Stab them in the ears.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 24>
  Share Topic