JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Women in Jazz

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Women in Jazz
    Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 2:47pm
Why is jazz male dominated?
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 3:37pm
I will not answer because the female up roar would not be pleasant  Wink
Matt
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 3:42pm
My wife is a Cajun Coon-a$$......If I asked her this she might bury my underwear in the front yard.....Yikes!!!!
My jazz collection....a work in progress.
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 3:49pm
I moved the thread there - more comfortable place for this discussion
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 4:08pm

There are many female greats but vocals is where you find the majority. Billy Holiday and Ella Fitzgerald are legends. Lil Armstrong, Marian McPartland. Mary Lou Williams and Hiromi are a few pianists. Billy Holiday  is my fave though.

Name me a woman explorer and name me a bloke who has pushed out twins Big smile Ouch
Matt
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 4:38pm
I like Diana Krall....excellent jazz  voice, good pianist........ohh and very, very easy on the eyes. She's originally  from Vancouver Island, BC.....Just north of here.

And she is married to Elvis Costello.....how he landed her is beyond me!!
My jazz collection....a work in progress.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by snobb snobb wrote:

I moved the thread there - more comfortable place for this discussion
That's odd... Confused

when I saw this thread title in the non-musiic forum, I was thinking of asking the admins to move it in the jazz lounge LOL

After all this should be a music subject if handled the right way
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by Matt Matt wrote:

There are many female greats but vocals is where you find the majority. Billy Holiday and Ella Fitzgerald are legends. Lil Armstrong, Marian McPartland. Mary Lou Williams and Hiromi are a few pianists. Billy Holiday  is my fave though.

Name me a woman explorer and name me a bloke who has pushed out twins Big smile Ouch
Natalie Lorrier is a very good modern (avant-garde)jazz pianist, and she doesn't sing eitherTongueWink
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2011 at 12:26pm
I know too some of the names-Allisson Miller, Anat Cohen. Anat Fort, Carla Bley, but they are like rain drops in an ocean...
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2011 at 4:16pm
Hiromi-another drop in the ocean
Ken Burns
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2011 at 4:25pm
I am distressed that not one lady member had a go at me for my above comments. Unhappy Big smile Cassandra Wilson is awesome (real bluesy) as well as Hiromi. What about Liberace is he included for this topic Wink
Matt
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 5:05am
Ay least the ladies can be proud that they dominate the vocall-jazz genre
Ken Burns
The Manticore View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Manticore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 8:43am
Yeah, but when I think of Female Jazz vocals, a bubble-permed Cleo Laine just will not get out of my head !!!
When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 10:46am
I wonder what happened to Walter Carlos' musicianship when he switched to Wendy Carlos. Shocked

Edited by js - 20 Feb 2019 at 5:20pm
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2011 at 2:52am
Been in the Streets Too Long - album cover 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2011 at 2:54am
^^^^

Annette PeacockHeartPigHeartHeadbangerSax manLOL

Been Living On The Streets Too Long
Jazz Pianist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jazz Pianist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2011 at 3:11pm
Eliane Elias is a PHENOMENAL jazz pianist. Plus she is friggin' gorgeous.
Dick Heath View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick Heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 3:21am
In Europe jazz instrumentalists  Annie Whitehead, Barbara Thompson, Susan Weinert immediately come to mind
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 11:33am
Originally posted by js js wrote:

I wonder what happened to Walter Carlos' musicianship when he switched to Wendy Carlos. Shocked

Don't you mean switched on to Wendy Carlos? Tongue  I think it was the powdered wigs or something.  By the way, I have two Wendy CDs.  One, The Beauty In The Beast beats out anything I've heard from Walter.  Digital Moonscapes however was a bit disappointing.

Isn't music in general male dominated?  Perhaps you should be asking the "broader" question.
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 11:53am
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Originally posted by js js wrote:

Don't you mean switched on to Wendy Carlos? Tongue  I think it was the powdered wigs or something.  By the way, I have two Wendy CDs.  One, The Beauty In The Beast beats out anything I've heard from Walter.  Digital Moonscapes however was a bit disappointing.

Isn't music in general male dominated?  Perhaps you should be asking the "broader" question.

I think pop is not male dominated
Ken Burns
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic