JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The dreaded 'S' word in jazz

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The dreaded 'S' word in jazz
    Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 8:36am
Being new here I wasn't sure where this discussion should go so moderators please feel free to move to more appropriate location.  The 'S' word I refer to is "smooth" as in smooth jazz (aka loosely c-jazz or contemporary jazz).  A sub genre of jazz where I've seen some raging debates.  I personally love it (the good stuff that is).  As with one of the negative comments it can be considered warmed over sax-dribble.  But in other cases there are some great displays of musicianship and virtuosity.  Also there seems to be some good diversity (although slowing down some) in what's available.  Some of my favorites the great Rippingtons, Special Efx (w\Chieli Minucci) , David Beniot, Dave Grusin, the late George Howard, others.  So what say you.

Edited by dwill123 - 27 Apr 2011 at 8:37am
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 8:40am
Smooth jazz has its good artists and albums too. I suppose you could call Miles' "Amandala' smooth jazz, but its a great album.
Have you checked out our Post Fusion Contemporary genre here at JMA, thats where artists who blend fusion and Post Bop with a smooth jazz sensibility go.
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 8:44am
It can be a great music for parties and a relaxed atmosphere. 
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 9:02am
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

Right. I agree. This kind of music is very appropriate for those cases.
Cannonball With Hat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 10:13am
I don't know nothings about smooth jazz, but its never been something I've had the desire to investigate. I'll watch those videos provided in the opening post when I have the time.

Having said that...a smooth jazz atmosphere used occasionally amoungst other things could work nicely.
Hit it on Five.

Saxophone Scatterbrain Blitzberg

Stab them in the ears.
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 12:27pm
It is also great for elevators and shops
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 12:54pm
I don't like smooth whiskey and I don't like smooth jazz.
Freddie Freeloader View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freddie Freeloader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 1:00pm
I understand the appeal of smooth jazz and I respect the musitians who can be great, but I personally like jazz for the danger... without the rough edges it cannot hold my attention.
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 3:27pm
Crunchy for me, like a bit of bounce myself. There is always a speed hump and a pothole with me TongueMusicianship is important but I like them having a go as well with the quicker,harder and louder making it better. Sax manViolinHead on wall
Matt
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by idlero idlero wrote:

Yes, I'm not a fan of smooth jazz, because it can be elevator or supermarket music.... I don't even consider it good mood music either... Of course I'm speaking in general terms and broadbrushing here.

I may not make friennds with the following comments, but a lot of the 80's ECM jazz was dangerously close to muzak
The Manticore View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Manticore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 4:23pm
I look at 'smooth' like this........a lot of people are scared of 'Jazz'. If it is easy to listen to and accessable, then maybe it will lead the occassional bod to listen a bit more and try something a little more involved.

It'snot for me, but some of my Lee Ritenour and Dave Grusin stuff comes pretty close. 
When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 4:31pm
Its the "pop" music of jazz.....I don't have a problem with it, I just can't listen to much of it. My wife and I saw Kenny G couple years ago (kinda felt obligated since he is from the Emerald City).....it was a good show, I mean he can play no doubt. He walked the crowd and my wife got serenaded by him.......I was not concerned, I mean he is about 1.5M tall...with heels!

The opening act was Norman Brown...who I enjoyed very much, guitarist along the lines of George Benson.
My jazz collection....a work in progress.
colorofmoney91 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colorofmoney91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2011 at 7:20am
I like very little smooth jazz. I think the only artist I really like in that form is Earl Klugh.

I generally go for speedy fusion jazz or energetic avant jazz.
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2011 at 9:34am

I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2011 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by idlero idlero wrote:

I always listen to fusion and smooth jazz. The chance that I love it is this exactly. And, my father recommended me the tune of Perez Prado. When I was a grade-schooler, those events all had me. It was surely carved in my brain though I did not understand it at that time.
I had music and hard rock in surroundings in the 80's that became popular since then.
And, the starting point of my music was in smooth jazz/fusion and Latin-American music now though jazz rock/fusion occupied the specific gravity.
poorslyn View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poorslyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2011 at 8:28pm
my fave smooth jazz must be `Blue Mitchell` ,  his early 70`s Mainstream label issues were really cool but also a listening blast.

Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2011 at 10:28am
Originally posted by poorslyn poorslyn wrote:

my fave smooth jazz must be `Blue Mitchell` ,  his early 70`s Mainstream label issues were really cool but also a listening blast.

I saw this video for the first time. It was a good tune. Thank you. However, it was possible to listen to it a little for me as a part of Soul/Funk Jazz. I am not so well versed for smooth jazz. I thought that Amandla of Miles Davis that John had referred in this thread before was a good example as smooth jazz. Or, I submit Atlantis of Wayne Shorter as an example. In addition, the music recalled at once for me was Fourplay and Urban Knights.
poorslyn View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poorslyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2011 at 7:18pm
Originally posted by Kazuhiro Kazuhiro wrote:

Originally posted by poorslyn poorslyn wrote:

I saw this video for the first time. It was a good tune. Thank you. However, it was possible to listen to it a little for me as a part of Soul/Funk Jazz. I am not so well versed for smooth jazz. I thought that Amandla of Miles Davis that John had referred in this thread before was a good example as smooth jazz. Or, I submit Atlantis of Wayne Shorter as an example. In addition, the music recalled at once for me was Fourplay and Urban Knights.
hmmm, the vinyl version [on mainstream] is the real source for his cool but intoxicating jazz blues fusion, go get it , vinyl or cd reissue. an absolute treat.
poorslyn View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poorslyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2011 at 9:12pm
the video of blue mitchell is the last track on the relevant album,. the previous tracks are cooler!
The Hepcat View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Hepcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2011 at 11:26pm
I honestly like smooth jazz.
Now I doubt I'd ever buy any and I don't have any, and I know generally it is simple sax (maybe others) over, barely, a drum beat...but it is soothing. At a restaurant or just generally in the background, it's really nice. I like falling asleep to it sometimes.

I prefer "normal" jazz though for sure.

Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

Or for a short version ^ LOL

Edited by The Hepcat - 02 Jun 2011 at 11:27pm
My fav jazz artist is Charlie. He hangs out in the park with his sax and is a character out of the 1940's. He's not great, but is improving each day and damn he has heart. That's what its all about!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic