JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

British Jazz

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: British Jazz
    Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 3:41pm
Unlike with rock music, jazz's main artists come from U.S. 

Here we can talk and recommend some fine British Jazz albums, list your faves, whatever. (please do not delve in jazz fusion, unless it's the more raw fusion type in the likes of early Soft Machine or Nucleus)

I'm interested if there's anything "classic" from the U.K. belonging to the jazz genre.  (classic meaning innovating or original or must-have, etc.. )
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 3:51pm
Off the top of my head, Dave Holland is one of my favorite British jazz musicians, and it's inevitable Brand X will be mentioned; I love them, and they have a unique atmosphere (especially in their first 3 albums) no other fusion act Ive heard has ever come close to achieving.
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 3:52pm
Hatfield and the north is a band of Canterbury scene. As you know the bands of this scene had jazz elements. They are here under classic fusion.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 3:56pm
Of course how could I forget John McLaughlin, Pablo? he's in your sig 
triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 3:57pm
Led Bib
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

I did specify to not mention jazz fusion, but oh well... Ouch
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 5:21pm
JM has done a lot more than just fusion Stern Smile It'd be one thing if i mentioned MO
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 5:25pm

JM has done a lot more than just fusion Stern Smile It'd be one thing if i mentioned MO

Yes, I know. But if I had mentioned McLaughlin initially, everyone would have thought that I'd been wanting British fusion. 

Since they already mentioned stuff like Brand X, Hatfield & the North. They're fantastic bands for me, but that's not really what I'm looking for. 

Edited by Abraxas - 25 Apr 2011 at 5:26pm
Hawkwise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawkwise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 5:25pm
Miller/Coxhil  The Story so far oh Really Thumbs Up and   Miller and Coxhill    Miller being Steve Miller Coxill being Lol Coxhill two brilliant albums by two of the best from English Jazz

And then of Course there is the one and only Courtney Pine.
two albums by him worth seeking out would be Journey to the Urge Within and Modern day Jazz Stories  .

Edited by Hawkwise - 25 Apr 2011 at 5:35pm
"If you're trying to be hip, be hip." - Miles Davis
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 5:37pm
Well the UK jazz scene seemed to come alive with the Rendell-Carr Quintet around the mid-60's... I'm not really aware of some high profile jazz artiste before that

Not surprisingly, that band is still missing in the database..
Of course via Nucleus (Carr again) and the Canerbury scene, the JR/F scene will explode, outting the UK on the map...
Hawkwise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawkwise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 5:38pm
Oh yeah you cant talk about Britsh Jazz with out George Melly 
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by Abraxas Abraxas wrote:

Yes, I know. But if I had mentioned McLaughlin initially, everyone would have thought that I'd been wanting British fusion. 

Since they already mentioned stuff like Brand X, Hatfield & the North. They're fantastic bands for me, but that's not really what I'm looking for. 

sorry, but my knowledge on British Jazz is limited, so I hope to learn something. I know how you feel about fusion always being brought up
Hawkwise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawkwise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 5:45pm
oh yeah and must not forget  The Gathering by Annie Whitehead   , google her top jazz artist Thumbs Up
The Manticore View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Manticore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 5:47pm
Then there is always Pentangle
When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.

Hawkwise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawkwise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 5:49pm
Oh and of course there is Penguin Café Orchestra to
Hawkwise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawkwise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by The Manticore The Manticore wrote:

Then there is always Pentangle

Good call Folk/Jazz at its very Best
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 5:54pm

sorry, but my knowledge on British Jazz is limited, so I hope to learn something. I know how you feel about fusion always being brought up

Hey, no problem, my British jazz is equally or even more limited than yours, that's why I made this thread, to see if there's any "high profile jazz musician from UK".

Well, the issue with fusion being brought up always is simply because that can also be talked on PA, you know hehe. I came here for something different, if it's possible. I won't mind commenting fusion polls or the like, but hopefully they won't be the same ones as in PA. 
Hawkwise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawkwise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 6:13pm
Biggest Name in British Jazz at the Moment i guess would be  Jamie Cullum  not really my cup of tea but then again cant say i have heard much of his music .

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 6:14pm

I did specify to not mention jazz fusion, but oh well... Ouch

If you want real jazz, check out George Shearing, beautiful pianist in the style of Bill Evans.
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by Hawkwise Hawkwise wrote:

Biggest Name in British Jazz at the Moment i guess would be  Jamie Cullum  not really my cup of tea but then again cant say i have heard much of his music .

Yeah, I know that guy, didn't know he was British though.

He's ok. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic