JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Flute in jazz

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flute in jazz
    Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 5:14am
Aside from Roland Rashaan Kirke (who played more sax than flute), the obvious two would be Herbie Mann (probably the grandfather of flauters as he started in the mid-50's), and Jeremy Steig, a somewhat much more experimentative flauter, whose album Something Else is absolutely essential as he started in mid-to-late 60's.  

Are there any others???Smile

Ian Anderson did play a fantastic version of Rashaan's  Serenade To A Cuckoo on Tull's debut album Time Was, but that doesn't really count , does it??? Wink

Edited by Sean Trane - 25 Apr 2011 at 5:16am
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 5:58am
Well, you can add to the list Jean Pierre rampal who played Claude Bolling's 'Suite For Flute And Jazz Piano'
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 10:22am
I listen to the performance of Joe Farrell that often competes with Chick Corea. It is felt that it has acted well for the music character of Chick Corea. Or, a melody unique Eric Dolphy will be performed.
triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 2:35pm
Jerome Richardson and Dick Hafer
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by idlero idlero wrote:

Well, you can add to the list Jean Pierre rampal who played Claude Bolling's 'Suite For Flute And Jazz Piano'
 I thought Rampall was a classical flutist

Originally posted by Kazuhiro Kazuhiro wrote:

I listen to the performance of Joe Farrell that often competes with Chick Corea. It is felt that it has acted well for the music character of Chick Corea. Or, a melody unique Eric Dolphy will be performed.

Oooohhh!!!.. How could I forget Farrell???... Embarrassed

Love what he did in RTF (except for their last studio album), and some of his solo albums are superb.

Originally posted by triceratopsoil triceratopsoil wrote:

Never heard these two.... any suggestions???

Edited by Sean Trane - 25 Apr 2011 at 3:20pm
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 3:26pm
Dave Liebman is the only one I can think of beside the other more famous ones.

Oh! And James Spaulding!

And not entirely jazz, but say jazz-related in the least, Jimmy Hastings.

Edited by Abraxas - 25 Apr 2011 at 3:33pm
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by triceratopsoil triceratopsoil wrote:

Never heard these two.... any suggestions???

They were the flautists on The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady; not sure what other albums they have played on.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 4:04pm
I think the topic of jazz flute came up over at PA recently, and I mentioned Herbie Mann, and it became a bashing thread, so I dont know if I should mention him here... Eh, f**k it

this is my favorite album by him

and then someone posted this album cover, and then the bashing started

Shocked

Seriously, it's good stuff Wink

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 5:42pm
^^^^

Yup, my two faves from herbie, but I still have to re-investigate london Underground.

I simply don't get the guys that are so insecure because of male nudity... I know some that are denying the status of Yes' Going For The One and Rush's Hemispheres
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 5:50pm

^^^^

Yup, my two faves from herbie, but I still have to re-investigate london Underground.

I simply don't get the guys that are so insecure because of male nudity... I know some that are denying the status of Yes' Going For The One and Rush's Hemispheres

I deny the status of Going for the One and Hemishperes, but the nudity has nothing to do with it.LOL

And, seriously, do you find that Herbie Mann cover appealing? I mean, what's the need haha. However, if the music's good, then no problem. 
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 6:11pm
Although his releases are severely lacking in male nudity, Eric Dolphy plays a mean flute, one of my favorites on the instrument.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by Abraxas Abraxas wrote:

I deny the status of Going for the One and Hemishperes, but the nudity has nothing to do with it.LOL

word
Krilons Resa View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krilons Resa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 7:21pm
HENRY THREADGILL!!!!!!
That shows you the power of music, that magician of magician, who lifts his wand, says his mysterious word and all things real pass away and the phantoms of your mind walk before you clothed in flesh.
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krilons Resa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 7:26pm
Whew, okay...just had to get that off my chest.

Off the top of my head, Other notables besides the unimitable Eric Dolphy....

Charles Lloyd
Yusef Lateef (whom Toby Driver has studied under for you Progsters)

Edited by Krilons Resa - 25 Apr 2011 at 7:27pm
That shows you the power of music, that magician of magician, who lifts his wand, says his mysterious word and all things real pass away and the phantoms of your mind walk before you clothed in flesh.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 3:17am
Originally posted by Krilons Resa Krilons Resa wrote:

HENRY THREADGILL!!!!!!

I'll be sure to revisit Henry THREADGILL'S VERY VERY CIRCUS (it appears to be his most successful period)
I had done so a few years ago, but I guess it flew by my grasp or comprehension, thanks
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 3:19am

Charles Lloyd

Well Llod, Dolphy and Lateef  are better known as sax players, but they do deserve a mention in this thread
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krilons Resa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 11:50am

Charles Lloyd

Well Llod, Dolphy and Lateef  are better known as sax players, but they do deserve a mention in this thread

Of course they are, and deservedly so.  Although Lloyd does play the flute very often.

bartosso View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2011 at 9:36am
As for the flute players, I recommend Malik Mezzadri.

dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 9:00pm
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2011 at 11:26am
Hubert Laws, who played a lot of flute on Gil scott-Heron albums, before Brian Jackson did take over, is another superb flauter
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic