JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Suggest new bands/artists to JMA
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A Tribe Called Quest??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EatThatPhonebook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Tribe Called Quest??
    Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 4:03am
Since they are considered Jazz Rap, maybe you should file them under DJ/ Hip Hop Jazz. 
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 8:10am
They're a great band and very innovative, but our DJ Jazz section is about DJs performing full on jazz, not hip-hop with jazz influences.
EatThatPhonebook View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EatThatPhonebook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 2:21pm
well, you know better than I do Beer
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 4:09pm
I dont know, they are probably the only band of that kind that I would add. Maybe not now until the site is more established, but I could see them being here one day.

I know why The Roots are here, as they write their own material, and are an actual "band"
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 4:24pm
The DJ section is for music created mostly by DJs, but the Roots are in the Funk genre, not the DJ section.
The music in our DJ section has a lot of straight up jazz cretred by DJs. Tribe Called Quest is a great jazz influenced hip-hop group, but calling them jazz is kind of a stretch, although I am sure there are some who might call them that.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 5:24pm
i dont know, I'm not the biggest fan of Tribe, I have only 1 of their albums though, so I'd have to give it another listen before I give my true opinions
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by js js wrote:

The DJ section is for music created mostly by DJs, but the Roots are in the Funk genre, not the DJ section.
The music in our DJ section has a lot of straight up jazz cretred by DJs. Tribe Called Quest is a great jazz influenced hip-hop group, but calling them jazz is kind of a stretch, although I am sure there are some who might call them that.

Well, but you just seem to point out that they're definitely jazz-related ("jazz influenced"). 

I've heard their debut, and also would have thought that they and some other jazz-inspired hip hop acts would be here, say US3. 

But it really all depends in the criteria. 

My opinion, of course. Smile
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 5:44pm
I wish I could play you samples from some of the other bands here, not all of their cuts are pure jazz, but many of these artists have produced cuts that are very sophisticated pure jazz music, not that sample and loop sort of thing that is very common.
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by js js wrote:

I wish I could play you samples from some of the other bands here, not all of their cuts are pure jazz, but many of these artists have produced cuts that are very sophisticated pure jazz music, not that sample and loop sort of thing that is very common.

Mind you John, I wasn't suggesting them for DJ Jazz, first of all because I'm not completely sure what that is, and second because I don't think that's where they would go, that doesn't make sense hehe.Embarrassed

I just think that they would fit in the site, though in some Jazz-Related thing, since like you said, they're not jazz, but undoubtedly jazz resounds throughout their music.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic