JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Suggest new bands/artists to JMA
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tom Waits

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricochet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tom Waits
    Posted: 24 Apr 2011 at 12:35pm
Don't take me for an expert, but I think you can relate him a lot to the blues and jazz (and vaudeville, adds wiki) scene. He does blend styles or experiment (Rain Dogs), but it's not always unclear.

Not putting samples right now, given how popular he is - but should you ask, I will try and think of some examples quickly.

snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2011 at 12:46pm
I believe almost everyone knows Tom Waits (more or less). I really like his music in general, but do you think "it's jazz" when you hear him singing?

Having time and wish it's possible to find some jazz arrangements in his music, but do you really believe he is a jazz musician (or seriously jazz related)? 
Ricochet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricochet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2011 at 12:52pm
I would definitely call him an important artist in modern blues, at least. It doesn't feel like it's simply about arrangements, either.

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2011 at 12:56pm
He has an off and on relationship with jazz related, but we are trying to concentrate more on jazz artists that are still missing as opposed to high profile artists from other genres.
Ricochet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricochet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2011 at 1:01pm
Probably a bit challenging to filter his works, otherwise I don't see why postpone. Priority in archiving should have been a factor before the launch, as now it is pretty much everybody suggesting what they find missing on this site.

Really doesn't sound that marginal to me.

Jazz related isn't a genre, and related to jazz is the point of being off and on.

Edited by Ricochet - 24 Apr 2011 at 1:03pm

harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2011 at 1:43pm
I was listening to his second album recently and it struck me as vocal jazz and I even thought of suggesting him but I felt I needed to learn more about his output. 
The Truth View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Truth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2011 at 4:15pm

He has some jazz elements but I don't believe he has enough to call him full blown jazz.

Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2011 at 4:22pm
Love Tom myself but apart from the first 1/2 dozen albums the Jazz disappeared after that and they were still bluesy as well. "Blue Valentine" is the best Jazz style one. I have em' all. Played him since the late seventies. These days he is Blues/ Rock. He was always in the Rock section at the record store. Love the suggestion though myself as John would know but I reckon he is spot on with him at the moment.Big smile
Matt
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 5:03am
Originally posted by The Truth The Truth wrote:

He has some jazz elements but I don't believe he has enough to call him full blown jazz.

Don't forget we have several genres here that are not "full-blown" jazz, like Crossover (Wink), pop-jazz, DJ Jazz, etc. and in general a total of 12 "related to jazz" categories.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic