JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Can someone please help me ID this bossa nova?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waldek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can someone please help me ID this bossa nova?
    Posted: 19 Dec 2014 at 4:41am
Can anybody help me in identifying the name of the 60's bossa nova 
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_e9BDwRfWJ8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=max_mRv_a-Q

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2014 at 5:14am
Your second sample has the credits for the song, I just don't know that language. This sounds like generic background music used for films and adverts. Its an interesting cut, I like the odd organ playing in the background.
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2014 at 7:14am
I know the language(s) Smile

The second sample is played by Vilnius Recording studio band "Estradines Melodijos", recorded in early 70s

The song is credited to R.Tauber (don't know who could it be), most probably cover 

Edited by snobb - 19 Dec 2014 at 7:47am
waldek View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waldek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2014 at 7:16am
Many thanks for your answer.
It's lithuanian language. On a label the song's composer is indicated incorrect.
I think this tune was taken from the repertoire of Stan Getz or Coleman Hawkins.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2014 at 8:07am
I don't think its Coleman Hawkins, maybe Getz, but it may just be a studio musician who is not well known.
waldek View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waldek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2014 at 8:22am
Please, check out this album
http://www.amazon.com/Desafinado-Bluesy-Burrell-Coleman-Hawkins/dp/B00ATCZIM4/ref=sr_1_1?s=dmusic&ie=UTF8&qid=1418998486&sr=1-1&keywords=coleman+hawkins+-+desafinado

very similar to Hawkins
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2014 at 8:29am
Thanks, I have to go to work now, but I will definitely check it later and let you know what I think.
Cheers.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2014 at 3:30pm
Okay, I finally had some time to spend with this and I really think it is a East European studio band used for making incidental background music.
The sax player is good, but he is not on the level of Hawkins or Getz, really, I know very very few sax players who can play like Hawkins.

It sounds like an East European band because their feel for samba/bossa nova rhythms is not exactly right, but it is instead influenced by the rhythms of their own culture, also that odd organ part is out of character with most Bossa Nova at that time, but the oddness is part of what makes it interesting.

I think the credits listed on the label are your best bet for finding this, but a lot of times background music like this only comes out on album collections of background music, not on an album credited to one artist.

Edited by js - 19 Dec 2014 at 3:32pm
waldek View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waldek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2014 at 4:26am
Dear js, thank you for the answer, but you did not understand me what I wanted to find out. Yes, it is a lithuanian band "Estradines melodijos" (in english "Variety Tunes"). But I need to find out the original title of the tune only, not the artist's name.
Of course, I am not saying that this tune is played by Coleman.  Maybe you heard this tune on any of Getz or Coleman, or other artists albums?
I am sure the composition was written by some famous jazz musician from USA or Brasilia. On the label the author is indicated incorrectly.

Here is another similar example, which has been already identified.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63z-wqOOYMM&feature=youtu.be

They're playing the famous Roland Kirk's composition "Serenade To A Cuckoo". But the tune's composer is also indicated incorrectly on the label.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2014 at 6:02am
I see what you are saying now, yes, that is probably a borrowed tune that was previously written by someone else.
I don't know who at this time, but I will check the tunes you posted again and see if something is there.
Atkingani View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atkingani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2015 at 4:38am
For me it looks like a collage where the 1st part was taken for a Brazilian classic (not bossa nova):

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic