Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What are You Listening II

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2526272829 45>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 1:09pm
The Declaration Of Musical Independence
Matt
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 1:52pm
"Oh yeah ya mamba, oh yay ya mamba"

ART ENSEMBLE OF CHICAGO WITH FONTELLA BASS vinyl record

Matt
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 1:57pm
^ what an unusual cover art - is it US edition?
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by snobb snobb wrote:

Yes Slava, it is on the label Prestige. I have seen the cd has a different cover.
Matt
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 3:00pm
Snowy Egret

Now 

The Ice Queen

Good Blues album 
Matt
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 2:50am
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 3:17am
Originally posted by Matt Matt wrote:

Originally posted by snobb snobb wrote:

Yes Slava, it is on the label Prestige. I have seen the cd has a different cover.

original French release looks like that Vaizdo rezultatas pagal užklaus&amp;#261; „art ensemble of chicago and fontella bass“

and there are CD reissue with different cover art as well
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 6:38am
I got to hang out with those guys backstage at a show in Memphis back in the early 80s.
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 7:03am
lucky you, my biggest success in this field is I saw Roscoe Mitchell Trio playing live in Sarajevo, Bosnia in 2004 in small Croatian Theater hall
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 12:40pm
You have to say they are different, I have 4 of their albums here but one is the Rarum (compilation ) from ECM. Also the Lester Bowie one "Works" ( Compilation). As three of the albums I have are not on ECM I have been thinking about that upcoming Box Set Of 21 cds on The Art Ensemble and related stuff. 
I only have about 4 of the albums included and two are the comps I mentioned above.

Liked your review on the new Andrew Cyrille "Lebroba" Slava. That's another I have on my list. 

Are they as crazy as their covers and music John when you met them?

Edited by Matt - 10 Nov 2018 at 12:46pm
Matt
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 12:59pm
Hard Bop
Matt
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 11:11am

You have to say they are different, I have 4 of their albums here but one is the Rarum (compilation ) from ECM. Also the Lester Bowie one "Works" ( Compilation). As three of the albums I have are not on ECM I have been thinking about that upcoming Box Set Of 21 cds on The Art Ensemble and related stuff. 
I only have about 4 of the albums included and two are the comps I mentioned above.

Liked your review on the new Andrew Cyrille "Lebroba" Slava. That's another I have on my list. 

i was fairly young then and they were older guys, pretty serious group really. I was with the local Rastas and the Art Ensemble had just gotten back from Africa, so everyone wanted to talk about what was happening in Africa.
Everyone was cool, but Lester Bowie was probably the most approachable for an outsider like myself.
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by js js wrote:

i was fairly young then and they were older guys, pretty serious group really. I was with the local Rastas and the Art Ensemble had just gotten back from Africa, so everyone wanted to talk about what was happening in Africa.
Everyone was cool, but Lester Bowie was probably the most approachable for an outsider like myself.
Thanks John. Smile
Matt
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 3:59pm
Hard Bop

69-80 by Salif Keita
Matt
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 2:00am
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 1:01pm

I have that one. Great Country cross over album John.
Matt
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 1:25pm
Figures you already have it, looks like something you'd be interested in.
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 1:29pm

Figures you already have it, looks like something you'd be interested in.
I have a few of Joe's records John. He was good.

The Big Beat
Matt
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 1:35pm
Joe Tex is another one i have a story about. Back in the late 70s or early 80s I was driving from Dallas to Memphis at about 2 AM. The highway was mostly empty and then this Cadillac limo goes shooting by me at about 100 mph. On the rear license plate it said J TEX, so I guess that was him. He passed away around that time too.
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 2:59pm

Joe Tex is another one i have a story about. Back in the late 70s or early 80s I was driving from Dallas to Memphis at about 2 AM. The highway was mostly empty and then this Cadillac limo goes shooting by me at about 100 mph. On the rear license plate it said J TEX, so I guess that was him. He passed away around that time too.
Bit like Hank Williams, John at least Joe was still living when he got out of that Cadillac. Sounds good, I will give that album a review in the next one or two.  I will go dig out the record. 
Matt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2526272829 45>
  Share Topic