Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What are You Listening II

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 45>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2018 at 5:39pm
Americas National Parks
Matt
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 2:58pm
Duke Ellington: The Complete 1936-1940 Variety, Vocalion and Okeh Small Group Sessions
Matt
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 3:41pm
^ that looks like a real gem. Do you have that on vinyl?
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2018 at 7:13am
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2018 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by js js wrote:

^ that looks like a real gem. Do you have that on vinyl?
cds John. 7 of them. Really nice. It would be my most played set from Mosaic with Armstrong's Decca material. I do prefer the instrumentals though so the first two get the most play.  I know they do it for date order but I wish they would put all the alt tracks at the end instead of pairing them straight after the A recording as on the first two discs there pretty much is an alt track for all them so you get a double take everytime. Love his earlier stuff and this has plenty of that.

Edited by Matt - 10 Sep 2018 at 2:32pm
Matt
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2018 at 2:35pm
 I have to agree with you there, I really don't want to hear 2 or 3 takes of the same song in a row. I'm getting where I avoid CDs with alternate takes, just give me one good version of a song, thats plenty.
To quote from Theo Macero talking about alternate takes, "They're putting back all the mistakes we took out".

Edited by js - 10 Sep 2018 at 2:36pm
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2018 at 2:38pm
Some of the band names for the set are 
Duke Ellington's Sextet
Rex Stewart and his 52nd Strret Stompers
Barney Bigard and his Jazzopators
Cootie Williams and His Rug Cutters
The Gotham Stompers
Johhny Hodges and His Orchestra

Edited by Matt - 10 Sep 2018 at 2:38pm
Matt
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2018 at 2:42pm

I have to agree with you there, I really don't want to hear 2 or 3 takes of the same song in a row. I'm getting where I avoid CDs with alternate takes, just give me one good version of a song, thats plenty.
To quote from Theo Macero talking about alternate takes, "They're putting back all the mistakes we took out".
Big smile
Matt
gian View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2018 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by Matt Matt wrote:

Chants, Hymns And Dances

wow that's actually unexpected. Definitely added to my upcoming listenings list.
Listening to: Floros Floridis-Babis Papadopoulos: F.L.O.R.O. Fictional Lies On Right Occasions. Electric guitar (lots of effects) and a sax (with occasionally some loops) from Greece. Both melodically and rythmically really fine.
I suppose it'll be a long journey to get to Gurdjieff from this..

Edited by gian - 10 Sep 2018 at 3:57pm
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by gian gian wrote:

Originally posted by Matt Matt wrote:

Chants, Hymns And Dances

wow that's actually unexpected. Definitely added to my upcoming listenings list.
Listening to: Floros Floridis-Babis Papadopoulos: F.L.O.R.O. Fictional Lies On Right Occasions. Electric guitar (lots of effects) and a sax (with occasionally some loops) from Greece. Both melodically and rythmically really fine.
I suppose it'll be a long journey to get to Gurdjieff from this..
I haven't heard that one Gian sounds interesting. I like a bit of variety with my music and Anja Lechner is great on violincello. How I first got into Salsa etc a friend of mine owned an import record and cd store which concentrated mainly on Latin, African and Reggae. The shop was in the inner city were the Latinos esp the Spanish are based for around 25 years  but like most music stores these days he started to struggle and had to close about 5 years ago. So much of the African I learnt through him and the Latin through his off sider who used to often give me tips on what albums to get.  

Edited by Matt - 11 Sep 2018 at 6:11pm
Matt
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 3:36pm
Pa Otro Lao
Matt
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 2:58pm
Haven't played this one for a few years. There were three in the series with one leaning towards Traditional "Healers Brew" and the other popular "Free At Last" but this one below was the best. Got quite a bit of play. 1995 was the release date. South African based.

Outernational Meltdown: Jazzin Universally by Airto Moreira, Andrew Missingham, Byron Wallen, Fana Zulu, Jose Neto, Max Ngcobo (1995-11-07)

Edited by Matt - 14 Sep 2018 at 3:01pm
Matt
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 3:27pm
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 4:02pm
Soro
Matt
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 8:07pm
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2018 at 1:05pm
Live in London
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2018 at 2:27pm

Good stuff John. Cool
Matt
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2018 at 3:10pm
^ Indeed, thats a good cover of that song.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2018 at 1:02pm
Vortex (feat. David Torn)
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2018 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Vortex (feat. David Torn)
Hi Scott, hope you are going well. Haven't heard that one from David Torn. The most recent one I have is "Only Sky". He is a great guitarist. Loved him in Jan Garbarek's  "It's Ok To Listen To The Gray Voice".
Matt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 45>
  Share Topic