Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What are You Listening II

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 45>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2018 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by js js wrote:

^ Look what the dingoes dragged in, we really need to get that back door fixed, ha.

Welcome back Matt, excellent reviews by the way.  Cool
Thanks John, Smile

Matt
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2018 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by snobb snobb wrote:

Originally posted by Matt Matt wrote:

Hi Everyone. Been a while.

Out Of The Blues

have this album, surprisingly nice Wink
Yes, it is a good one. Smile
Matt
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2018 at 3:33pm
Paimon: Book of Angels 32
Matt
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 9:15am
^ I don't know that album, but Mary Halvorson has been a person of interest lately, love the way she can get deep into jazz guitar ala Jim Hall or Wes Montgomery, and then switch up and go NYC avant-pop like Sonic Youth.
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 4:37pm

^ I don't know that album, but Mary Halvorson has been a person of interest lately, love the way she can get deep into jazz guitar ala Jim Hall or Wes Montgomery, and then switch up and go NYC avant-pop like Sonic Youth.
It's the only one of hers I have John, it is great for the last edition for Zorn's "Book Of Angels" which is why I bought it as I have about 75% of that series from him and yes she is one hell'va guitarist. I am meaning to look at some others of hers as well after hearing this but they seem to vary quite a bit and will check them out first. "Code Girl" her latest has been getting good reviews.
Matt
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 4:46pm
Kirkastus
Matt
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 6:58pm

It's the only one of hers I have John, it is great for the last edition for Zorn's "Book Of Angels" which is why I bought it as I have about 75% of that series from him and yes she is one hell'va guitarist. I am meaning to look at some others of hers as well after hearing this but they seem to vary quite a bit and will check them out first. "Code Girl" her latest has been getting good reviews.

Check out this review I wrote for her album from about a year ago. It also features Susan Alcorn on pedal steel guitar.

Edited by js - 27 Aug 2018 at 6:59pm
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2018 at 3:13pm

Check out this review I wrote for her album from about a year ago. It also features Susan Alcorn on pedal steel guitar.

Sounds really good, esp the Pedal Steel being used John. You must of been impressed by the rating you gave it. Liked your review. will go hunt up some samples. Thanks
Matt
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2018 at 5:32pm
And thanks for this recommendation, I enjoyed the rest of the album too.

Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2018 at 7:10pm

And thanks for this recommendation, I enjoyed the rest of the album too.

Can't beat the old Country songs, still the best for that genre.
Matt
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2018 at 7:14pm
Sweeter Than The Day
Matt
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2018 at 7:21pm
Scroll down towards the bottom of this page and you can hear the entire Halvorson album I was talking about.

I don't know if you noticed, but this site has really stepped up its coverage of new jazz, RnB, dub, jazz-rock, funk, blues etc albums. Our foot traffic is way up as people come by to listen to new albums. The forum still does not draw a lot of conversation, but we have managed to keep the site growing in popularity with all of our new album features and listening samples.
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 3:33pm

Scroll down towards the bottom of this page and you can hear the entire Halvorson album I was talking about.

I don't know if you noticed, but this site has really stepped up its coverage of new jazz, RnB, dub, jazz-rock, funk, blues etc albums. Our foot traffic is way up as people come by to listen to new albums. The forum still does not draw a lot of conversation, but we have managed to keep the site growing in popularity with all of our new album features and listening samples.
Thanks for the sample John.  I listened to a lot of the Halvorsen album it is good. I have noticed some changes with more artists listed. Noticed you added Van Morrison yesterday and saw Buddy Guy, Muddy Waters, Howling Wolf, Sonny Boy Williamson, Guy Davis etc and Augustus Pablo is listed as well not to mention Willie. Great to see more variety. I have the current new ones for Buddy Guy and Van Morrison, so will get on to them soon.  I don't buy as much music these days and I am fairly fussy with what I do get. Usually they are my fave artists, like, Van, Willie, Boz, Buddy, Wadada (love torturing the family, they all hate Avante) also will be getting the soon Wayne Horvitz.

I left work about 18 months ago and really have no intention to rejoin the work force again. ( 59 now) and we drove around Australia for approx 2 months ( About 18,000 K or 11,000 miles worth). Then when we returned my wife had me installing a new kitchen plus changing the laundry around by closing up two doors ( interior and exterior)and adding one connecting to the kitchen ( became Pantry 50% and the rest still the laundry). I used tradesman for the plumbing, electrician, a brickie for the exterior door) and a tradie for the actual fitting for the kitchen cabinets, benches and appliances. The kitchen had to go in exactly lined up and if I had done it I felt it may have become my worst nightmare. All the demolition, carpentry, painting, plastering ( with sons help), floors etc was me. Originally thought about 4 weeks, wound up closer to three months until fully completed.
Matt
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 3:38pm
The Blues Is Alive And Well

Edited by Matt - 30 Aug 2018 at 3:39pm
Matt
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 7:05pm

Thanks for the sample John.  I listened to a lot of the Halvorsen album it is good. I have noticed some changes with more artists listed. Noticed you added Van Morrison yesterday and saw Buddy Guy, Muddy Waters, Howling Wolf, Sonny Boy Williamson, Guy Davis etc and Augustus Pablo is listed as well not to mention Willie. Great to see more variety. I have the current new ones for Buddy Guy and Van Morrison, so will get on to them soon.  I don't buy as much music these days and I am fairly fussy with what I do get. Usually they are my fave artists, like, Van, Willie, Boz, Buddy, Wadada (love torturing the family, they all hate Avante) also will be getting the soon Wayne Horvitz.

I left work about 18 months ago and really have no intention to rejoin the work force again. ( 59 now) and we drove around Australia for approx 2 months ( About 18,000 K or 11,000 miles worth). Then when we returned my wife had me installing a new kitchen plus changing the laundry around by closing up two doors ( interior and exterior)and adding one connecting to the kitchen ( became Pantry 50% and the rest still the laundry). I used tradesman for the plumbing, electrician, a brickie for the exterior door) and a tradie for the actual fitting for the kitchen cabinets, benches and appliances. The kitchen had to go in exactly lined up and if I had done it I felt it may have become my worst nightmare. All the demolition, carpentry, painting, plastering ( with sons help), floors etc was me. Originally thought about 4 weeks, wound up closer to three months until fully completed.
I used to work in the construction business, every job always takes much longer than predicted, and it always goes way over estimated cost too.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 7:10pm
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2018 at 3:52am

Kirkastus

Matt, from your current selection it looks Finnish TUM label just opened the outlet close to your house  LOL

On more serious note, if you like harpist/pianist Iro Haarla she has released some quite strong albums as leader on ECM. Multilayered if still chamber, her music is quite accessible but more smart than many more traditional ECM chamber/ambient albums

Edited by snobb - 31 Aug 2018 at 3:59am
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2018 at 9:47am
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2018 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by snobb snobb wrote:

Kirkastus

Matt, from your current selection it looks Finnish TUM label just opened the outlet close to your house  LOL

On more serious note, if you like harpist/pianist Iro Haarla she has released some quite strong albums as leader on ECM. Multilayered if still chamber, her music is quite accessible but more smart than many more traditional ECM chamber/ambient albums

Yes I know of her Slava, I actually like her Tum stuff just as much with Kolibri being my fave. I wasn't that keen on her latest ECM, Ante Lucem but I did like Northbound and Vespers a lot. I do have quite a bit of that Tum label.Smile The Billy Bang one Prayer for Peace and just about all the Juhani Alaltonen's I like as well from them plus Wadada of course.
Matt
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2018 at 4:54pm
Conclusions

Since I was talking about them. Cool
Matt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 45>
  Share Topic