What are You Listening II

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3637383940 45>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2015 at 9:03pm
Santana live in 1970
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8dGh1iEmCY
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2015 at 10:22am
Chuck Berry and Yoko Ono  Shocked
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9kgu71d81U
LucidSamples View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LucidSamples Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2015 at 4:56am
Now litening Twin Peaks" Soundtrack :)
Sample packs with music samples
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by js js wrote:

I think Schofield has come a long ways since those days, check out some of his more recent music, he has some great RnB roots and a lot of creative rhythm playing.
Thanks John will give it a shot. I have one of his albums but don't know where it is................I know it is in the garage but must be in another genre of music as it is not in the JazzConfused It  will turn up. I bought it about 20 years ago and to be honest do not even remember the title. I vaguely remember the music but it has been so long since I played it. Maybe my perceptions have changed when I hear it again.  "Live At The Fillmore" I checked your review( very nice) must pick up and  get it. 

Edited by Matt - 11 Apr 2015 at 7:04pm
Matt
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 7:02pm
I think Schofield has come a long ways since those days, check out some of his more recent music, he has some great RnB roots and a lot of creative rhythm playing.
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 6:37pm

Speaking of Miles' post 70s work, the best is "Live Around the World", "Amandala" and "We Want Miles".
I should have reviews up on all those.
I did not mind  "You're Under Arrest" but like "Live Around The World" he included "Human Nature" and "Time After Time" John. The worst for me is "Tutu" and "Decoy". "Star People" I don't mind either but although I am not really a Scofield fan, I liked his input. I often find his playing cold. His technique is top notch but it seems to lack emotion. Ry Cooder is another I find like that. Still like them on various numbers they do but not a big fan,excepting  Ry's World music material. 

Amandla

Edited by Matt - 10 Apr 2015 at 6:50pm
Matt
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2015 at 7:53pm
Speaking of Miles' post 70s work, the best is "Live Around the World", "Amandala" and "We Want Miles".
I should have reviews up on all those.
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2015 at 7:25pm

"Live at the Fillmore" is kind of different, its very much a DeJohnette/Holland type jam, DeJohnette more or less runs things, or at least thats how it comes across.
I should get it. Sounds good.
Matt
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2015 at 7:06pm
"Live at the Fillmore" is kind of different, its very much a DeJohnette/Holland type jam, DeJohnette more or less runs things, or at least thats how it comes across.
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2015 at 7:00pm

I don't know if you are familiar with Miles Davis' intense AG jazz-rock onslaught called "Live at the Fillmore", but my take on those jams is that if you subtract all the other instruments and leave only Miles's trumpet solos, basically Miles is playing Satchmo licks, both a tribute and an inside joke, listen to the blues riff that closes each jam, its like a sly wink to let you know.
I will listen for that John. I don't own that one. Should get it as I have most of his other Fusion albums from that period. I do like "Dark Magus" and have that one. I have all his studio work even the those dodgey ones after his Fusion period when he came back and about half his Live albums with the entire "Live At The Plugged Nickel" and since I have been going on about him, 

Get Up With It

Where do you buy the glasses? Wink

Edited by Matt - 09 Apr 2015 at 7:00pm
Matt
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2015 at 10:43pm
I don't know if you are familiar with Miles Davis' intense AG jazz-rock onslaught called "Live at the Fillmore", but my take on those jams is that if you subtract all the other instruments and leave only Miles's trumpet solos, basically Miles is playing Satchmo licks, both a tribute and an inside joke, listen to the blues riff that closes each jam, its like a sly wink to let you know.

Edited by js - 08 Apr 2015 at 11:48pm
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2015 at 10:08pm
Keepin' Out Of Mischief Now" is first

Satch Plays Fats - Columbia Jazz Masterpieces
Matt
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2015 at 7:07pm
We were dudded down here when this was released. No Zip on the cover, just a cardboard slit in the fly. ( they don't have a cheap bastards emoticon)

First up "Can't You Hear Me Knocking"  what's better the sax or guitar solo?, does it matter, awesome stuff.

Sticky Fingers (Remastered 2009)
Matt
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2015 at 6:32pm
When I play music in my car I usually take what I am playing from the house and return it back when I come home. I do however keep 3 in the car all the time and call them my emergency cds ( if for some reason I have nothing else to play or forget to take one from the house) They are all old Beatles albums from the 1st cd edition. My wife  complained and asked if I would change them as she uses my car occasionally and she is sick of them. When I suggested what other Beatles albums she would prefer? Wacko I also had the Beach Boys Greatest hits job but one of my daughters has it now.

Magical Mystery Tour (Mono Vinyl)

Edited by Matt - 03 Apr 2015 at 6:33pm
Matt
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2015 at 4:53pm
Yeah I remember listening to them a while back, sounds interesting.
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2015 at 3:23pm

^ Whats that?
Italian Jazz Band John, Octet They sound very 1920's at times with the trumpets etc and then there is  a theremin included with electric guitar blazing away in the next breath Mauro Ottolini the leader plays trombone . It is a mix of old Italian, New Orleans and fusion..............yes right up my alley and they are different. They have a new one just released which I am still waiting for Amazon to get (on back order) . I came across them only a couple of months ago when checking out new releases.
Matt
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2015 at 8:05pm
 ^ Whats that?
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2015 at 4:12pm
Sky Above Braddock
Matt
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2015 at 4:24pm
before

Swingin On The Korner: Live at Keystone Korner

The drums were mik-ed terribly and destroys the album a bit............so gone for this much better quality one in all areas including the music. 

At the Prelude
Matt
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 10:10pm

Yeah, "No Name on the Bullit" rocks. All of this talk reminds me of their work with Black Uhuru a few years earlier.
Don't get me goin', you could get bored of your brain rapidly John, lol .I love Black Uhuru myself. Michael Rose did the vocals on the night I saw them.Cool
Matt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3637383940 45>
  Share Topic