JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sidney Bechet, Bix, Benny Goodman music rec's

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badacid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sidney Bechet, Bix, Benny Goodman music rec's
    Posted: 13 Nov 2014 at 7:32am
Hello all

Looking for recommendations on albums for Sidney Bechet, Bix Biderbecke and Benny Goodman. I dont really like these best of style compilation albums as you miss out on the other bits and pieces so full albums or recordings are what im after. If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated!
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2014 at 8:02am
Ouch! I've been listening to a similar era, just different artists, I'm all about Fletcher Henderson, early Duke Ellington and early Coleman Hawkins, so I don't have many recommendations for your favorite artists.
But, I know you said you didn't like comps much, but this comp "The Jazz Modernists 1924-1933" has interesting cuts by Bix, Trumbauer and others. Basically they went for the more experimental numbers, its a fascinating collection, but I still think these guys were not quite on the level that Henderson and the Duke were on.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2014 at 8:09am
By the way, I do think 1920s jazz is some of the most amazing music ever made, and it seems to be the only period in jazz history that people seem to have a really hard time re-creating. It seems very few are willing to take on that fast moving style.
badacid View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badacid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2014 at 8:20am

Thanks, ill check that out. Im a newbie to the early stuff if im honest, thats why im trying to enhance my collection a little bit!

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2014 at 8:36am
I'm not even close to being some sort of expert on 1920s jazz, but its a time period that I have become very fond of, easily one of the most energetic, experimental and interesting periods in jazz. A lot of good things got left behind as the music moved into the mid 30s.

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2014 at 9:08am
Here are two comps of 1920s to early 30s jazz that have been getting a lot of play at my house lately.

Fletcher Henderson: "Wrappin it Up"   Quadromania series - a very low priced, yet excellent comp of Henderson's music. 
Duke Ellington: "Mrs Clinkscales to the Cotton Club Volume 1 1926-1929"    Duke put out great music throughout his career, but he was on fire in the late 20s, this collection is filled with creative one of a kind tracks.
badacid View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badacid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2014 at 4:07am
Im not familiar with Fletcher Henderson, so many people to listen to and learn about! Ill do some listening today.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2014 at 2:16pm
Henderson's best music is around 1927 when Don Redman was his main arranger. Redman's arrangements are superbly unique and always interesting.
As Henderson's band ran out of gas in the mid to late 30s, Benny Goodman picked up Henderson and made him his top arranger, also Goodman picked up all of Henderson's previous charts as well and made all that part of his band.
PopetherevXXVIII View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PopetherevXXVIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2015 at 11:05am
Sidney Bechet was gangsta before there was a term for it.  Before rappers were shoot up da club, Sidney Bechet was doing it on the back streets of Paris. 

Yet I know nothing about his music.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2015 at 11:20am
Jazz started as music for gangsters and illegal parties, now its taught in well respected universities. 
PopetherevXXVIII View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PopetherevXXVIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2015 at 11:28am
This is true. But It's the only real case of a jazz musician acting like a modern day rapper where firearms are concerned. Unless there are others I don't know about.

I fear for the world when Kanye West is taught in well respected Universities.

Edited by PopetherevXXVIII - 19 Mar 2015 at 11:29am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic