JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Your all time 10 fav jazz Artist

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawkwise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your all time 10 fav jazz Artist
    Posted: 23 Apr 2011 at 5:21pm
So who is it that does it for you in the jazz world  what 10 Jazz artist  hold that special  little something for you ?
not necessarily the biggest or even the best but who have that little something special to you personally

And after  all we like are  list don't we ?

so..

1  John Coltrane  .

Really yet to hear album he has been involved with i haven't liked  he just got that something for me

2. Stanley Clarke 

Just for Journey to love  album which i love oh so much and was the first Jazz album i bought all those years ago and still to this day  one my all time Fav,s

3. Chick Corea

So Much good music from the Man  RTF his solo stuff just love this guys Music.

4.   Paul Chambers   .

Man that guy just played with everybody who was anybody in the Jazz world what a Bass Player.

5.  Miles Davis

Nothing  to say  really he was the Man.

6.  Jean- luc Ponty

Love his Music simple as that.

7.  John McLaughlin,

First real Jazz artist i got really into back in 75.

8.   Wayne Shorter 

Brillant  . love his work did with Joni Mitchell and three solo albums  Night Dreamer    
Speak No Evil    and Juju brillant .

9.  Gong for Shamel and Gazzuse  and i love the band to bits and lucky enough to of seen them more times that i can count over the years since 1975.

10.    Glen Miller   for my Dad Smile

Edited by Hawkwise - 23 Apr 2011 at 5:31pm
"If you're trying to be hip, be hip." - Miles Davis
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2011 at 6:23pm
I'll be a bit obvious in the first ones:

1. John Coltrane: unbelievable saxophone player, but that's only half of it. He was an artist, a full-fledged dedicated musician. He's amazing, be it for his own take on My Favorite Things, the entire A Love Supreme or dozens of other fantastic moments.

2. Miles Davis: although I've heard only half of his discography, his pure diversity and musical pursuit is incredible. Also, he has released some of the finest music releases, both In a Silent and Kind of Blue are exceptional and unique.

3. John McLaughlin: he has become probably my favourite guitarist of all-time in the last couple of months. His Mahavishnu work was outstanding both for his fiery and compositions, but delving deeper, with Shakti, Davis, solo, he simply is a genius as a guitarist.

4. Herbie Hancock: similarly as Miles Davis, his exploration for new grounds is always fascinating, even if at times the results weren't that good. Having composed classic Post Bop material, highly original avant-fusion and some killer funky stuff. He's the man.

I don't want to contninue because I just realised that this list may not be really that definitive, except the first 2 or 3. 

Honorable mentions: Charles Mingus (if only I knew more of his work and digged it), Larry Young, Pharoah Sanders, Chick Corea, Joe Zawinul, McCoy Tyner, Mike Ratledge, Monk, Bruford, Cobham... Also Zappa and Santana, but that would be going less jazz..
triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2011 at 8:05pm
Mingus Mingus Mingus Davis Mingus Coltrane Ellington Gillespie Mingus Rich
The Manticore View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Manticore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2011 at 8:46pm
Zawinul
Corea
Di Meola
Ponty
McLaughlin
Bruford
Clarke
Shorter
Burton
Jackie Orszaczky

.......and just outside the top ten would be;

Zappa
Pastorious
Vitous
Kawasaki
Cobham
Hiromi
Kazumi Watanabe
David Jones (Aussie Drummer)
When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.

ConnorE View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConnorE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2011 at 11:04pm
clark
jones
jarrett
holland
brubeck
sikala
hancock
roach
davis
coltrane

Edited by ConnorE - 24 Apr 2011 at 11:05pm
Zarathustra View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zarathustra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 10:59am
Miles
Hendrix
Pastorius

Coltrane
Bill Evans
McLaughlin

Bruford
Corea
Stanley (Clarke)
Herbie
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 11:03am
Originally posted by Zarathustra Zarathustra wrote:

Miles
Hendrix
Pastorius

Coltrane
Bill Evans
McLaughlin

Bruford
Corea
Stanley (Clarke)
Herbie

Sorry, but do you consider that Jimmy Hendrix is a  jazz artist?
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltyJon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 7:09pm
John Coltrane
Mingus
Pharoah Sanders
Sun Ra
Eric Dolphy
Thelonious Monk
Ornette Coleman
Alice Coltrane
Dave Holland
Rashied Ali

Pretty much no particular order.  As you can see, I tend to gravitate more towards the free side of things. Tongue
Hawkwise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawkwise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 7:11pm
Hendrix Jazz ? sadly we will never know but it seems he was heading in that direction before his death
"If you're trying to be hip, be hip." - Miles Davis
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by SaltyJon SaltyJon wrote:

John Coltrane
Mingus
Pharoah Sanders
Sun Ra
Eric Dolphy
Thelonious Monk
Ornette Coleman
Alice Coltrane
Dave Holland
Rashied Ali

Pretty much no particular order.  As you can see, I tend to gravitate more towards the free side of things. Tongue

Lots of "hippie jazz" there. Wink
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltyJon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 7:18pm
Yeah, it's the good stuff. Tongue
Krilons Resa View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krilons Resa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 9:26pm
John Coltrane
Charles Mingus
Andrew Hill
Eric Dolphy
Wayne Shorter
Fredrik Ljungkvist
William Parker
Paal Nilssen-Love
Ken Vandermark
Omer Avital

...I guess.

That shows you the power of music, that magician of magician, who lifts his wand, says his mysterious word and all things real pass away and the phantoms of your mind walk before you clothed in flesh.
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2011 at 7:53am
Art Tatum
Miles Davis
John Coltrane
Louis Armstrong
Charlie Parker
John McLaughlin
Herbie Hancock
Charles Mingus
Ella Fitzgerald
Thelonious Monk
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2011 at 11:52am
Again, I'll stay away from the 70's JR/F groups, which would probably hog 9 out of 10 spots

Sooo I'll mostly stick to pre-67 jazz artistes and again in no particular order

Mingus
Coltrane (this includes McCoy Tyner and Alice, both of which will havev their best works in the 70's)
Davis
Lateef,
Brubeck
Shorter/Hancock (pre-70's)
Sun Ra
Eric Dolphy
Lionel Hampton
Satchmo Armstrong

Mentions to Ellington, Bird and Monk

Edited by Sean Trane - 06 May 2011 at 1:29am
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2011 at 1:25pm
I've avoided this thread for a reason, I like too many artists to narrow it down to 10 Ermm
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2011 at 1:28am
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

I've avoided this thread for a reason, I like too many artists to narrow it down to 10 Ermm
that's always the big drawback about these list and polls.... but it's not like you're committed for life either.... this is pure musement...Wink
Drummer View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drummer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2011 at 8:00am
The first ten jazz artists to come to my mind are :

Ornette Coleman
Sun Ra
Henry Threadgill
John Coltrane
Wayne Shorter
Miles Davis
Weather Report
Tim Berne
Charles Mingus
Hermeto Pascoal
http://enterpanopticon.blogspot.com
Noak2 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noak2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2011 at 7:44am
Charles Mingus 
Eric Dolphy
Peter Brötzmann
Anthony Braxton
Pharoah Sanders
Alice Coltrane
Ivo Perelman
Barry Guy
Cecil Taylor
Sun Ra
MilesBeyond View Drop Down
JMA Jazz Reviewer
JMA Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MilesBeyond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2011 at 4:59pm
I'll just do five, with a little blurb for each.

Wes Montgomery

I'm a guitarist, and Wes was to the guitar what Bird was to the horn . As far as I'm concerned, the greatest guitarist who ever lived. Smokin' At The Half Note is my musical Bible. I listen to it regularly, and every note on it has influenced my playing profoundly.

Miles Davis

The man was so much more than a great trumpet player. A true visionary with an incredible talent for bandleading, he was always innovating and always bringing in the most cutting edge players to achieve that with him. Jazz newbies and aficionados alike praise Kind of Blue as being the greatest album of all time, and with very good reason, and it was one of two albums that made me want to play jazz. He'd be my #1 if I wasn't a guitarist.

John Coltrane

His incredible passion for jazz as an art form came out in everything he played. His vision of music as an expression of higher spiritual truth is actually audible in what he plays. Not to mention the fact that he redefined the word "virtuoso." Giant Steps was the second of two albums that made me want to play jazz.

Jim Hall

The second member of the First Big Three of Jazz Guitar (him, Wes and Joe Pass), his rendition of Round Midnight off his Live! album really opened my ears to the guitar's potential for dynamic expression that's almost horn-like in its soulfulness. A true master of expression.

Thelonious Monk/Charles Mingus

Incredible visionaries both, Monk redefined music with some of the most complex and idiosyncractic jazz ever written, while Mingus' constant probing of the depths of possibilities of jazz as an art form makes his music a joy to listen to. I remember being blown away the first time I heard Pithecanthropus Erectus: An instrumental jazz suite depicting the rise and fall of the human race? This isn't your grandparent's dancing music!
stuccohomes View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stuccohomes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2011 at 6:10pm
1. Miles
2. Keith Jarrett
3. Michael Brecker
4. John Coltrane
5. Wes Montgomery
6. Django Reinhardt
7. Branford Marsalis
8. Wayne Shorter
9. Pat Metheny
10. Herbie Hancock

.....but some days its also - Jaco Pastorius.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic