JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The 70's Jazz-rock/fusion appreciation society

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 9:30am
Fusion was my gateway into the world of jazz music.  As a bass player, I was looking for some instrumentalists to listen to, and the name Jaco kept coming up.  I heard he was in Weather Report, and thankfully my dad has a number of their albums on vinyl.  I started there, then went to Return to Forever, then probably Herbie Hancock/Headhunters.  The first time I heard Bitches Brew (not quite 70s but close enough) I didn't know what to make of it.  A second listen months later got me to appreciate it more, and from there I branched out to Miles' other work, his sidemens' other work, etc. until I had full-blown jazz-itis.
1967/ 1976 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1967/ 1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2011 at 4:40pm
Listening to "The Eighties" by Chick Corea I reflected on how Fusion could be born (listening to "Essential Miles Davis" stands out more): at some point for some Jazz musicians acoustic sounds and rhythms Bop and Hard Bop were tight. Looking for new sounds they encountered in electric/ electronic instruments (bass, keyboards ...). They have tried to use it and understood the potential of these instruments they have included these instruments in their music. Of course it was all natural ... The first Fusion of Miles Davis was an electric version of what has been done so far.

I got it wrong?
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2011 at 2:19am
Originally posted by 1967/ 1976 1967/ 1976 wrote:

The first Fusion of Miles Davis was an electric version of what has been done so far.

that more or less describes the music of Miles In The Sky
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1967/ 1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2011 at 11:29am
I'm not saying I'm right but if we listen to this CD by Miles Davis:
MILES DAVIS - The Second Spring cover
4.001 rating | 1 review
Buy this album from MMA partners

Live album · 1991

Filed under Classic Fusion

Tracklist

1. Spring (Part Two) (42:35)

Line-up/Musicians

- Bill Evans / sax
- Mike Stern / guitar
- Marens Miller / bass
- Al Foster / drums
- Mino Cinelu / percussion
- Miles Davis / trumpet, keyboards

About this release

1991: Paradise/ Abraxas P1030-2

Live in Rome (April 22, 1982)

We can see that the music is a new version hard bop, because:

Only one song in this "Second Spring", a live CD by Miles Davies (that I bought for €2,00), published in 1991 and recorded in Rome (Italy) April 22, 1982 by Miles Davis Sextet. The basic stile of "Second Spring (part two)" (that is 42 and half mins long) is Hard Bop but the presence of electronic keyboards putthis release in Classic Fusion field. The music is not explosive but reflective, not so technical but with great feeling, magic and power. 

Certainly other artists use too much Rock in their mixture of rock and jazz, sometimes ending up in Heavy Metal, sometimes getting too Rock Progressive.

For me Classic Fusion is still 100% Jazz, crtainly with tons of Rock. But for his roots, for me Classic Fusion is 100% Jazz.

Edited by 1967/ 1976 - 01 May 2011 at 11:32am
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2011 at 11:49am
Nice! I wasn't remembering that Mike Stern had played with Miles Davis.
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2011 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

Originally posted by 1967/ 1976 1967/ 1976 wrote:

The first Fusion of Miles Davis was an electric version of what has been done so far.

that more or less describes the music of Miles In The Sky

And not too far from the style of Filles de Kilimanjaro.
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1967/ 1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2011 at 5:01am
RETURN TO FOREVERRomantic Warrior Album · 1976 · Classic Fusion
Cover art
StarStarStarStarStar
Return To Forever... One of the most great and ingenious band in the world: Jazz, Rock or... Whatever it play! In this case RTF play a type of Fusion that is too close to Prog Rock. In my opinion with "Romantic Warrior" are inserted between instruments duels that will be taken by many Heavy Metal groups. This due to the style of Al Di Meola on guitar and Stanley Clarke on bass. Another point is the insertion of Classic Music partiture in a Rock partiture with Jazz treatment. The production is too close to Rock than to Jazz and, also for this motive, I think that the music of "Romantic Warrior is close to Prog Metal. Not for this, or due for this, the music of this "Romantic Warrior" is more Fusion that other Fusion music.

Interestig are the instruments duels, what makes Jazz the music, because the rest is pure Rock, Hard Rock. The sound of keyboards is powerfully joyful as the guitars and the bass is incredibly powerful, as the percussive instruments are a great motor. The arrangiaments are in Jazz style but the writing style is a mix between Classic Music and Rock, as is incredibly evident in "Duel Of The Jester And The Tyrant" or in "Majestic Dance", in this case in a great mix with Folk. The power of music are mixed with the Latino sensibility of Corea and Di Meola, the power of Stanley Clarke and the Jazz motor of Lenny White: now the music it is as if it were still 1976: the magic and the feeling are still too evident!

I have not other words to describe this incredible album, a Masterpiece of XXth Century music, Jazz, Rock, Fusion, Classic Music or Heavy Metal that it is!

Edited by 1967/ 1976 - 06 May 2011 at 5:02am
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1967/ 1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2011 at 5:10am
BILL BRUFORD'S EARTHWORKSFootloose and Fancy Free Live album · 2002 · Classic Fusion
Cover art
StarStarStarStar1/2 Recorded live at the PizzaExpress Jazz Club, Siho, june 23rd and 24th 2001, "Footlose and Fancy Free" is a good album if Classic Fusion please you. Only that this album is all acoustic. But this is only a small detail.

Bill Bruford was the drummer of Yes and King Crimson and in first UK album Bill plays a good related Jazz Rock version of Symphonic Prog. So it seemed natural, even considering the evolution of King Crimson, that Bill conceive great Jazz albums. I do not have other albums by Bill (soloist or with Earthworks) but this live album is extremely good, for me.

Fusion or not (but this is fusion? Hmmm... Because no?) Bill played with great technique and precision and the rest of the band is great (Steve Hamilton to piano is a great machine as Patrick Clahar to saxes). In general this album is for connoisseurs, although very immediate and not too technical. As in other jazz albums, for me is the final result that should OK, for me. 2 hours of Jazz that weigh no to anyone and, of course, frees the mind. It is clear that this album present more Jazz that Rock. And not because acoustic.

In definitive if for you Bill Bruford is only Yes, King Crimson or UK... You are outside of the road. Bill Bruford is only a drummer, in this case a great Jazz drummer. That please you or not.

CHICK COREAThe Eighties Boxset / Compilation · 2003 · Classic Fusion
Cover art
StarStarStarStar: My review is based on: Emarcy/ Universal059 878-2

"Eighties" is a Chick Corea compilation focused on 1986/ 1993 production. Not all compositions are Classic Fusion but, in a good view, this is the genre that is good for this compilation.

In this compilation compositions have been included enough interesting for a general audience but also for those who love Jazz. In general these compositions (that please me all at the same manner... Also if "Trance Dance", "Got A Match?" and "Blue Miles" have a superior magic, for me) not present virtuoso or solo parts complicated or heavy, tired and confused that who does not love Jazz. In other words, Rock is not the base of the songs and Jazz is only a colour, because Fusion, also in Fusion composition, is only a component of the music. But if you search POP Jazz in Chick Corea you are outside of the road. Corea's music is 100% traditional Jazz but written for a generalist audience, so that the contamination are present but not invadents.

Certainly acoustic or electric the music of Armando "Chick" Corea not change. And also this compilation present only 10 composotion composed between 1986 and 1993 for the presence of excellent musicians (all stars of modern Jazz) I think that if you do not have nothing of Chick Corea this is a good compilation.

BILLY COBHAMThe Best Of Boxset / Compilation · 1979 · Classic Fusion
Cover art
StarStarStarStar My review is based on: Atlantic 7567-81558-2

Billy Cobham is one of my preferred drummer. In my opinion this "The Best Of" is a good compilation if you do not know Billy Cobham. All the songs are written by the same Billy cobham except "Do What Cha Wanna" that is written by George Duke and that is performed live with George Duke Band. Except for "Quadrant 4" that is a savage Heavy Metal/ Jazz fusion with double bass drums the rest of the album is more funkysh. But the great technique of Billy on drums was great also if the music is funkysh.

In definitive view Billy Cobham is a great drummer and good songwriten. That in 70's are at his apex. And this compilation is good. Not only for Billy's newbies.

Edited by 1967/ 1976 - 06 May 2011 at 5:12am
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1967/ 1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2011 at 5:00am
JACK DEJOHNETTESorcery Album · 1974 · Classic Fusion
Cover art 
StarStarStarStar "Sorcery" isn't a Fusion album but an album of Electric Bop. And for this motive "Sorcery" is an album of Fusion. Unreservedly Jack DeJohnette able to record an album very technical and easy to read. This is because Jack has a great musical sensibility and, in a period where everyone was trying to play hard, he tries to communicate what the music can be emotion and melody. With these ingredients "Sorcery" becomes an album of POP Fusion but not an album of POP Jazz, because 100% Bop. (P.s.: I do not have other words to describe this concept... Excuse me).

The experience of "Sorcery" is a soert of trip to the dreams and shadows of an human mind and for this fact I think that "Sorcery" is a good album if magic, inventive and feelings are what we seek in music.

Edited by 1967/ 1976 - 08 May 2011 at 5:01am
seb2112 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seb2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2011 at 3:29pm
I got into jazz fusion through the prog side of things, and fusion is 95% of the jazz I listen to.  I`m listening to a Soft Machine live CD from the period where Holdsworth was playing guitar for them right now and loving it. Some great bands not yet mentioned in this thread are Passport and Nucleus, two of the first bands I got into when I started discovering fusion. It`s hard to draw the line between fusion jazz and canterburry prog, I really enjoy Gilgamesh and National Health and I`d say they`re pretty darn close to being fusion.

Rahmann only released one album, but it`s a damn good one. I concider it fusion, but it`s often classified as Zeuhl or RIO because of it`s association with Magma (a band of which I am NOT a fan)

Hermann Szobel only recorded one album and then disapeared off the face of the world, but it is easily in my top 5 70`s fusion records and well worth checking out for anyone who has never heard it

Bill bruford`s 2 studio and 1 live albums in the fusion genre are also excellent, although I`m not a fan of earthworks

And although they`ve been mentioned, I want to point out thtta the first 3 al di meola records, the first 2 Brand X records and all the musc Mahavishnu Orchestra released in the 70`s are pure gold and amongst the best music ever produced

We should open a thread for fusion post-70s thats worth checking out. Overall the quality of fusion is far from being what it used to be, but we do have some great bands still banging out awesome fusion records like Planeta Imaginario (borderling canterburry prog again) and One Shot (yet another Magma-associated band yet I dislike the ``original`` band so much)
The Truth View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Truth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2011 at 12:37pm
Indeed, some of my favorite music comes from this genre. My favorite jazz album is Big Fun by Miles Davis which IMO defines this era of fusion. Can't really go wrong with anything from 70's fusion. Thumbs Up
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2011 at 1:32pm
We should have a thread for 80s fusion, 90s fusion, and 2000s fusion

Honestly, I think I have less 90s fusion than from any other decade
trinidadx13 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trinidadx13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2011 at 2:41am
Love 70's fusion....the holy grail in fusion. Why did the 80's get so boring?
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2011 at 4:21am
^ synth guitars?
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2011 at 4:45am
Wait, synth guitars are considered boring?
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2011 at 4:48am
I was mostly kidding, some people get nice things out of them, but a lot of guitar players in the 80s used really cheesy sounds with their synth guitars.
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2011 at 10:12am
Yes. But that's interesting.
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2011 at 7:47pm
Did someone say synth guitar, boring.  McLaughlin gets good sound from his.

Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2011 at 8:34pm
Still, I think that the fusion album that PMG announced in the 80's is good.
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2011 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by Kazuhiro Kazuhiro wrote:

Still, I think that the fusion album that PMG announced in the 80's is good.

Which one? American Garage?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic