JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Albums not released yet

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 19>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2016 at 2:56pm

Wynton/JALC Orchestra to Release “The Abyssinian Mass”

Jazz and gospel work on double CD plus DVD

By JazzTimes

Blue Engine Records will releases The Abyssinian Mass by the Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra with Wynton Marsalis featuring Damien Sneed and Chorale Le Chateau with special guest Reverend Dr. Calvin O. Butts, III on March 18. The recording, described in a press release as a “collaboration of jazz, gospel, instrumentation and vocals,” marks Marsalis’ first original recorded composition in six years. 

The release states: “In 2008 … Marsalis was commissioned to write a piece commemorating the 200th anniversary of Harlem’s Abyssinian Baptist Church. The result was a sacred celebration: a sweeping composition for big band and 70-piece gospel choir. The work’s popularity sustained a 16-city, 19-concert tour that brought the Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra with Wynton Marsalis … recording artist Damien Sneed and his choir Chorale Le Chateau across the American south and into deep dialogue with the black tradition.”

The Abyssinian Mass is being released as a double album with bonus documentary DVD featuring performances, interviews and insights behind the music. The package includes an essay by Leon Wieseltier, author, critic and contributing editor and former literary editor of The New Republic.

Fans who purchase The Abyssinian Mass via Jazz at Lincoln Center’s webstore will receive a limited edition tote bag and the 2013 Abyssinian Tour Diary. More information can be found on Jazz.org.

The Abyssinian Mass Track Listing:

Disc 1
1. Devotional (8:34)
2. Call to Worship (5:11)
3. The Lord's Pray er (4:13)
4. Processional: "We Are On Our Way" (7:25)
5. Invocation and Chant (6:29)
6. Responsive Reading, Matthew 5:3-12 The Beatitudes (7:57)
7. Gloria Patri (5:05)
8. Prayer: "Pastoral Prayer" (13:05)
9. Choral Response: "Through Him I've Come to See" (2:21)
10. Anthem: "Glory to God in the Highest" (7:01)

Disc 2
11. Scripture: Isaiah 56:7 (2:36)
12. Meditation: "Lord Have Mercy" (4:59)
13. Sermon: "The Unifying Power of Prayer" - Part I: "This House is God's House" (4:17)
14. Sermon: "The Unifying Power of Prayer" - Part II: "The Power of Prayer" (4:57)
15. Sermon: "The Unifying Power of Prayer" - Part III: "Everyone Has a Place" (3:15)
16. Invitation: "Come and Join the Army" (4:33)
17. Offertory: The Father (2:39)
18. Offertory: The Son (3:22)
19. Offertory: (You Gotta Watch) The Holy Ghost (4:45)
20. Doxology (3:21)
21. Recessional: "The Glory Train" (7:34)
22. Benediction (1:27)
23. Amen (8:20)

snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2016 at 3:50am
Free Jazz Icon ROSWELL RUDD Joins Pianist JAMIE SAFT and Colleagues TREVOR DUNN and BALAZS PANDI on Stirring RareNoise Release "Strength And Power" 

In a remarkable example of uncanny group-think, pianist-keyboardist and RareNoise regular Jamie Saft (Metallic Taste of Blood, Slobber Pup, Plymouth, The New Standard, Red Hill) joins with longtime collaborators Trevor Dunn on bass and Balazs Pandi on drums and master trombonist Roswell Rudd on the astounding, purely improvised Strength and Power. Recorded live in Saft's home studio near Woodstock, New York, this intergenerational offering features the 44-year-old pianist, 47-year-old bassist, 32-year-old Hungarian drummer and 80-year-old avant-garde pioneer blending organically, telepathically on a set of conversational music running the gamut of dynamics and emotions. 

As Saft explains, "All the music was completely improvised in the studio. No predetermined compositions at all. No hand signals, no charts: nothing but trust, deepest intuition, and mutual respect."

The key to this highly interactive session, says Rudd, was not chops but rather the participants' highly attuned listening skills. "The really important thing, especially with collective improvisation, is that you're playing off of each other. So the music comes as a result of listening to each other and your response to the other players. I really found myself delving deeply on this occasion because the other musicians were not only putting it out there but they were also responding in depth. When you're lucky enough to be in the company of very proficient musicians who not only can play but also can listen deeply, this is what I think I love more than anything else in the performance of music."

The revered trombonist, who came up playing Dixieland or trad jazz music while attending Yale University in the mid 1950s and later made his mark in the free jazz world through collaborations with Cecil Taylor, Archie Shepp, John Tchicai and longtime collaborator Steve Lacy, is a formidable presence on this RareNoise recording. Whether it's his lyrical playing on the spacious ballad "Luminescent," his unrestrained blowing on a surging "The Bedroom," his conversational plunger work on "Cobalt Is a Divine" and the title track or his early New Orleans tailgate-styled testifying on "Struttin' for Jah Jah," Rudd's trombone resounds with history, humor and humanity. Dunn provides thick grooves and potent contrapuntal lines throughout (particularly when he is paired in a duet with Rudd on "Dunn's Falls") while Pandi propels the proceedings with kinetic backbeats and swinging momentum. Saft, performing on his 1966 Steinway Model L piano at his home studio, adds spiky comping, cascading call-and-response lines and some exploration inside the piano. "This piano has a unique sound," he says. "It's darker than most modern pianos. Sometimes I will use paper and pen if they are handy as tools to modify the acoustic piano, but mostly it's just real time manipulation of the inside of the piano with these two hands."

"The piano is a strange and opulent instrument," adds Saft. "It is a physical object which requires adherence to the basic laws of physics. The greatest pianists understand how to harness the power of gravity and understand the internal mechanisms of the instrument and how they relate to the laws of gravity. I always work to use gravity to my advantage as an instrumentalist. With proper understanding of the way the piano and the human body interact, one can constantly push the instrument into new areas while retaining a deep and rich tone. Whether I'm seated at the piano or working inside the piano, I'm still always dealing with laws of physics. The idea is to let gravity do all the work for you. This gives a deep and crisp tone and maximum technical flexibility."

Saft explains that this collaboration with Rudd was partly born out of proximity. "Roswell and I live five miles or so from each other in Kerhonkson, New York. Roswell and Verna Gillis, his brilliant partner, have recorded a number of times at my studio Potterville International Sound. This is how we initially met. It was clear very quickly that we needed to make music together."

Rudd says that the Strength And Power session is a continuation of "the pursuit of mystery" that he has tirelessly been on throughout his entire career, from his days as a collegiate Dixielander to the present. "This river that runs through all of my performing and recording from the earliest times, it's essentially what we did over at Jamie's that day. It's a special recording and I look forward to getting back together with the musicians, Balazs, Trevor and Jamie, and doing more, taking it out and playing for audiences somewhere. I'd love to play it for a bunch of people with thirsty ears."

Adds Saft, who has also racked up numerous credits on various John Zorn projects over the years, "It's a great privilege to make music with a true legend of improvised music such as Roswell. His compositions are deep and vast, his sound is unmistakably brilliant, and most of all he's a truly beautiful human being. The last point is crucial here: when one improvises with such a beautiful person all is possible. Roswell constantly strives to impart his love of sounds to humanity. His positivity and shining vibe make this clear, obvious, and essential."

TRACKS
1. Strength & Power
2. Cobalt is a Divine
3. The Bedroom
4. Luminescent
5. Dunn's Falls
6. Struttin' For Jah Jah

Roswell Rudd - Trombone
Jamie Saft - Piano
Trevor Dunn - Acoustic Bass
Balazs Pandi - Drums

CD AND MULTIPLE DIGITAL FORMATS AVAILABLE IN STORES AND ONLINE ON FEBRUARY 26, 2016 AND THROUGH WWW.RARENOISERECORDS.COM

from  www.jazzcorner.com 

Edited by snobb - 05 Feb 2016 at 3:50am
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2016 at 8:33am

Kenny Barron to Release Trio Album March 4

His first featuring Kiyoshi Kitagawa and Johnathan Blake

By JazzTimes

Pianist Kenny Barron will release his first album with his longstanding working trio of bassist Kiyoshi Kitagawa (with him for 20 years) and drummer Johnathan Blake (10 years). Titled Book of Intuition, it will be released March 4 on impulse!, his second for the label.

Kenny Barron Trio's upcoming performances:

February 19 / Soka Performing Arts Center / Aliso Viejo, CA 
February 20 / Biamp PDX Jazz Festival / Portland, OR 
April 6 - 7 / Jazz Bistro / St. Louis, MO 
April 15 / Athenaeum / La Jolla, CA 
April 16 / Jazz Bakery / Los Angeles, CA 
April 18 / Lobero Theater / Santa Barbar, CA 
* April 20 - 24 / SF Jazz Center / San Francisco, CA 
April 25 / Kuumbwa Jazz / Santa Crus, CA 
April 26 / Boise State University / Boise, ID 
** April 28 / Zeiteron's Stage Door / New Bedford, MA 
April 29 - 30 / Regattabar / Cambridge, MA 
May 1 / Gilmore International Keyboard Festival / Kalamazoo, MI 
May 3 - 8 / Jazz Standard / New York, NY

snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2016 at 1:47pm

Previously Unreleased ’60s Larry Young Performances Out in March

First new release of music by the organist in 38 years

By JazzTimes

Resonance Records, in partnership with the National Audiovisual Institute (INA) of France, has announced the forthcoming release of Larry Young In Paris/The ORTF Recordings. The album features previously unreleased studio and live performances by the organist and pianist from 1964 and 1965 made for French radio. The recording will be released on March 11 in deluxe two-CD and limited-edition two-LP sets.

Musicians featured on these recordings include trumpeter Woody Shaw, tenor saxophonist and bandleader Nathan Davis and drummer Billy Brooks. Supporting players include pianist Jack Diéval, tenor saxophonist Jean-Claude Fohrenbach and bassist Jacques B. Hess; Italian drummer Franco Manzecchi, Jamaican trumpet player Sonny Grey and Guadaloupean percussionist Jacky Bamboo. This album marks the first new release of Larry Young music in 38 years. 

According to a press release, “This project came about in 2012 when producer Zev Feldman traveled to France to explore the ORTF (Office of French Radio and Television) archives (the media vaults overseen by the French National Audiovisual Institute (INA) in the hope of finding undiscovered treasures, which he suspected he might find there. Feldman asked INA executives about specific artists and was stunned to learn that the vaults contained recordings documenting some of the greatest American jazz musicians who lived in, or visited, Paris in the 1960s, including Larry Young. Resonance Records presents in this album tapes that had been sitting idly in the vaults for nearly 50 years, scrupulously maintained by INA.” 

Resonance plans to release other projects from the INA vaults. 

TRACK LIST

Disc One

Trane Of Thought (6:46) 
Talking About JC (14:53) 
Mean To Me (4:12) 
La Valse Girls (16:09) 
Discotheque (10:43)

Disc Two

Luny Tune (4:36) 
Beyond All Limits (7:36) 
Black Nile (13:59) 
Zoltan (20:31) 
Larry's Blues (6:13)

snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2016 at 11:32am

Gregory Porter to Release New Blue Note Album May 6

Singer will support “Take Me to the Alley” with tour

By JazzTimes

Singer-songwriter Gregory Porter will release Take Me to the Alley, the follow-up to his Grammy-winning 2013 Blue Note debut Liquid Spirit, on May 6. Two singles—“Holding On” and “Don’t Lose Your Steam”—have already been released; fans will receive them instantly when pre-ordering a download of the album. (The album is also available for pre-order on CD now, and the singles are also available on streaming services.)

A live video of “Don’t Lose Your Steam” can be viewedhere

Take Me to the Alley was recorded in the fall of 2015 in New York City. As he’s done on his previous three albums, Porter teamed with producer Kamau Kenyatta. Accompanying Porter are pianist and music director Chip Crawford, bassist Aaron James, drummer Emanuel Harrold, alto saxophonist Yosuke Sato and tenor saxophonist Tivon Pennicott. Singer Alicia Olatuja, trumpeter Keyon Harrold and organist Ondrej Pivec also make appearances throughout.

Porter has also announced extensive tour dates throughout North America and Europe this spring and summer. See below for a list of U.S. tour dates. For a list of Porter’s worldwide tour dates visit Gregory Porter Live

Track Listing 

1. Holding On (Gregory Porter/James John Napier/Guy William Lawrence/Howard John Lawrence) 
2. Don't Lose Your Steam (Gregory Porter) 
3. Take Me To The Alley (Porter) 
4. Day Dream (Gregory Porter/Craig Dawson) 
5. Consequence of Love (Porter) 
6. In Fashion (Porter) 
7. More Than A Woman (Porter) 
8. In Heaven (Darlene Andrews) 
9. Insanity (Porter) 
10. Don't Be A Fool (Porter) 
11. Fan The Flames (Porter) 
12. French African Queen (Porter)

U.S. Tour Dates 
April 30-May 1 – New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival – New Orleans, LA 
May 7 – Jacobs Music Center's Copley Symphony Hall – San Diego, CA 
May 8 – Segerstrom Center for the Arts – Costa Mesa, CA 
June 4 – Polk Theater – Nashville, TN 
June 5 – Knight Theater – Charlotte, NC 
June 9 – Mayo Performing Arts Center – Morristown, NJ 
June 10 – Symphony Center – Chicago, IL 
June 14 – Rialto Theater – Tucson, AZ 
June 16 – Revolution Hall – Portland, OR 
June 17 – Moore Theater – Seattle, WA 
June 18 – Fox Theater – Oakland, CA 
June 19 – Harris Center for the Arts – Folsom, CA 
June 23 – Jazz Aspen Snowmass – Aspen, CO 
July 29-30 – Newport Jazz Festival – Newport, RI 
August 13 – Westhampton Beach Performing Arts Center – Westhampton Beach, NY
October 6 – Orpheum Theater – Los Angeles, CA 
October 7 – Granada Theater – Santa Barbara, CA 
October 25-November 1 – Blue Note Jazz at Sea Cruise – Transatlantic Crossing 

Edited by snobb - 17 Mar 2016 at 4:19pm
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2016 at 3:10pm
Sonny Rollins's "Holding the Stage: Road Shows, vol. 4" to Be Released by the Saxophonist's Doxy Records, With Distribution by Sony Music Masterworks/OKeh

(Published: March 15, 2016)

For his new album Holding the Stage: Road Shows, vol. 4, the great tenor saxophonist Sonny Rollins once again taps into his vast archives of his own concert recordings to compile superior performances for release in the acclaimed Road Shows series. The album encompasses some 33 years (1979-2012) yet coheres with all of the compelling logic and narrative force of an extended Sonny solo. 

Holding the Stage, to be released by Doxy Records digitally April 8 and on CD April 15, the second album in a distribution agreement with Sony Music Masterworks and its jazz imprint OKeh, is truly a treasure chest that includes tunes Rollins has never before recorded and musical relationships previously undocumented. "This album consists of various periods of my career, with something for everybody," says Rollins. "It's who I am, and the music represents just about every aspect of what I do."

Three Rollins originals pay tribute to departed friends and colleagues. The soulful blues "H.S.," for Horace Silver, has been a concert staple since its appearance on Sonny's 1995 Milestone album Sonny Rollins +3. Saxophonist/arranger Paul Jeffrey, who died last year at 81, is remembered in the funky "Professor Paul," a new composition making its recorded debut here. Of "Disco Monk," from 1979's Don't Ask (Milestone) and rarely performed since, Rollins told CD annotator Ted Panken: "It was disco-disco-disco then, everywhere you went, but I heard something juxtaposed with [Thelonious] Monk within this disco craze, and I wanted to meld them in a way that both styles would be themselves and yet be one." 

Another highlight is a previously unreleased 23-minute medley (and concert closer) from his September 15, 2001 Boston performance, most of which had been immortalized in Rollins's final Milestone album, the Grammy Award-winning Without a Song: The 9/11 Concert. "Sweet Leilani," introduced on hisThis Is What I Do album of the year before, morphs into a richly evocative solo cadenza and an epically ecstatic "Don't Stop the Carnival."

In the Harlem of his youth, Rollins told Panken, "music was happening on every street corner. So the idea of ‘keep the music going' is in that song. Don't stop the carnival. In the case of 9/11, that was especially prophetic."

Since launching his Doxy Records imprint in 2006 with the Grammy-nominated studio album Sonny, Please, Sonny Rollins has been turning to his concert recording archive dating back nearly 40 years for release on the label. The selections in Volume 1 (2008) spanned nearly three decades and included a trio track from the saxophonist's 50th-anniversary Carnegie Hall concert, while Volume 2 (2011) focused primarily on his historic 80th-birthday concert at New York's Beacon Theatre. Volume 3 (2014) marked the first recording of "Patanjali" and hinged on a stunning 23-minute excavation of Jerome Kern's "Why Was I Born?"

Holding the Stage: Road Shows, vol. 4 was produced by Rollins and his longtime engineer, Richard Corsello. Personnel includes trombonist Clifton Anderson; pianists Stephen Scott and Mark Soskin; guitarists Bobby Broom, Peter Bernstein, and Saul Rubin; bassists Bob Cranshaw and Jerome Harris; drummers Kobie Watkins, Perry Wilson, Victor Lewis, Jerome Jennings, Al Foster, and Harold Summey Jr.; and percussionists Kimati Dinizulu, Sammy Figueroa, and Victor See Yuen.

More Information: http://www.sonnyrollins.com  

Edited by snobb - 16 Mar 2016 at 3:10pm
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2016 at 4:17pm
 Never-al-Sunset-14

Zhenya Strigalev launches his new album for Whirlwind Recordings at Ronnie Scott’s on Sunday 3 April.

NEVER GROUP (catch the review in May’s issue of Jazzwise) is the Russian-born, London-based alto saxophonist’s follow-up to his 2015 sextet recording Robin Goodie. Typically, this latest joust cuts from the intrepid liverwire's questing past, focusing on the transitory and unanticipated within vignettes of impassioned improv, funnelled into electronically-enamelled, mind-fussing conceptions.

See him inaugurate these devious tactics at Ronnie’s in the company of Federico Dannemann (guitar),Linley Marthe (bass) and Eric Harland (drums).   

– Spencer Grady

For more details about NEVER GROUP visit www.whirlwindrecordings.com 

from http://www.jazzwisemagazine.com/

Edited by snobb - 17 Mar 2016 at 4:18pm
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2016 at 2:20pm

Brad Mehldau Trio to Release “Blues and Ballads” June 3

Trio’s first release since 2012

By JazzTimes

Nonesuch Records will release the Brad Mehldau Trio’s Blues and Ballads on June 3. The trio’s first new release since 2012’s Where Do You Start, the new recording features material by Charlie Parker, Lennon and McCartney, Cole Porter and others. (The track list is below.) The Brad Mehldau Trio is Mehldau on piano, Larry Grenadier on bass, and Jeff Ballard on drums. They will perform several U.S. dates in April.

Track Listing 

Since I Fell For You 
(Buddy Johnson) 

I Concentrate On You 
(Cole Porter) 

Little Person 
(Jon Brion) 

Cheryl 
(Charlie Parker) 

These Foolish Things 
(Jack Strachey) 

And I Love Her 
(John Lennon & Paul McCartney) 

My Valentine 
(Paul McCartney) 

Brad Mehldau Trio Tour Dates 

Friday, April 15 – Berklee Performance Center, Boston, MA 
Saturday, April 16 – Swyer Theatre at The Egg, Albany, NY 
Tuesday, April 19 – World Café Live, Philadelphia, PA 
Wednesday, April 20 – Sixth & I Synagogue, Washington, DC 
Thursday, April 21 – Finney Chapel, Oberlin College & Conservatory, Oberlin, OH 
Friday, April 22 – Symphony Center, Chicago, IL

snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 3:27am

Lovano Salutes Lundvall, Hank Jones on 25th Blue Note Disc
Posted 6/7/2016

Joe Lovano will add the 25th album to his Blue Note discography on July 29 with the release of Classic: Live At Newport, which the Grammy-winning saxophonist has dedicated to the memory of pianist Hank Jones (1918–2010) and longtime Blue Note president Bruce Lundvall (1935–2015).

Recorded on Aug. 14, 2005, at the Newport Jazz Festival, the album captures the Joe Lovano Quartet with a then 87-year-old Jones, as well as bassist George Mraz and drummer Lewis Nash.

Lovano first assembled an ensemble with Jones and Mraz for the 2004 ballads album I’m All For You (the drummer for that session was Paul Motian). The album was well received, and the quartet returned to the studio in 2005 to record Joyous Encounter, which was released in May 2005.

That summer Lovano took his working quartet (which replaced Motian with Nash on drums) on a European tour before returning to the States to perform at Newport.

“With Lewis the music took on a much more hard-hitting approach, and I felt a need to record us live at Newport, even though I knew it couldn’t be released at the time,” Lovano recalled.

“This was truly my Classic Quartet in every sense of the term,” Lovano said. “Hank Jones was clearly one of the modern jazz geniuses of all time and he elevated us all with his imagination and inspiration. His accompaniment and solos were full of love, poetry and searching; he made you feel so good all the time. … His wisdom and knowledge about music and life, his humor, wit, passion and love will always inspire and be with me.”

Classic: Live At Newport captures the quartet’s entire 6-song set, which opened with the Lovano blues “Big Ben” and featured songs drawn from the band’s studio albums, including two songs written by Jones’ brother Thad (“Don’t Ever Leave Me” and “Kids Are Pretty People”). The album closes with a performance of Oliver Nelson’s “Six And Four.”

The release of Classic: Live At Newport coincides with the start of the 2016 Newport Jazz Festival, which runs from July 29–31. Lovano will be performing at the festival with guitarist John Scofield, reuniting another quartet that made a series of memorable Blue Note albums in the early 1990s (Lovano also appeared on Scofield’s Grammy-nominated album, Past Present, released in September 2015 the Impulse! label).

Also in July, Lovano will reprise his 1995 double album Quartets: Live At The Village Vanguard with a two-week stand at the titular New York City club. Lovano will be appearing at the Vanguard with pianist Kenny Werner, bassist John Patitucci and drummer Andrew Cyrille from July 5–10, followed by a week with trumpeter Tom Harrell, bassist Anthony Cox and drummer Billy Hart from July 12–17.

Quartets: Live At The Village Vanguard has recently been reissued on vinyl as part of the Blue Note Records 75th Anniversary Vinyl Reissue Series. For more info, visit the label’s website.

—Brian Zimmerman

from www.downbeat.com

snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 5:10am

Cline Crafts Ambitious Double Album with 23-Piece Ensemble
Posted 6/23/2016

On August 5, Blue Note will release guitarist Nels Cline’s ambitious double album Lovers, which features a 23-piece ensemble of woodwinds, brass and strings. The 18-track program was arranged and conducted by Michael Leonhart, who’s famous for his work with Karrin Allyson, Donald Fagen and Rufus Wainwright.

Lovers includes Cline’s original compositions, as well as interpretations of Great American Songbook standards and songs by Sonic Youth and Arto Lindsay.

“I have been dreaming about, planning and re-working my rather obsessive idea of this record for well over 25 years, and it was always going to be called Lovers,” Cline said. “It is meant to be as personal in its sound and in its song selection as it is universal in its endeavor to assay or map the parameters of ‘mood’ as it once pertained, and currently pertains, to the perculiar and powerful connection between sound/song and intimacy/romance. In this I hope Lovers offers something of an update of the ‘mood music’ idea and ideal, while celebrating and challenging our iconic notion of romance.”

The guitarist, who leads the avant-garde band Nels Cline Singers and is also a member of the rock band Wilco, assembled an amazing array of talent for Lovers. Among the acclaimed musicians on the album are Steven Bernstein (trumpet, slide trumpet, flugelhorn), Erik Friedlander (cello), Ben Goldberg (clarinet), Julian Lage (acoustic and electric guitars), Kenny Wollesen (vibraphone, marimba) and the leader’s brother, Alex Cline, who plays drums and percussion.

Nels Cline will premiere the album at the Newport Jazz Festival on July 31. He will also present the material next year at UCLA in Los Angeles and SFJAZZ in San Francisco.

Lovers will be available in digital, CD and vinyl formats.

(Note: To watch a video of Nels Cline performing the new track “Beautiful Love,” click here.)

—Izzy Yellen

from  www.downbeat.com

snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2016 at 11:00am

Redman, Mehldau To Release Duo Album on Sept. 9 

On Sept. 9, saxophonist Joshua Redman and pianist Brad Mehldau will release Nearness, a selection of duets recorded live during their recent European tour. The album, available on Nonesuch, will be the first duo recording by the two musicians, who collaborated together in ensembles throughout the late 1990s and 2000s, including on Redman’s 1994 album, Moodswing (Waner Bros.), and Mehldau’s 2010 disc, Highway Rider (Nonesuch).

Redman and Mehldau had reunited earlier in the decade to play on each other’s records. “It’s like one of those friendships where you don’t see someone for a long stretch and then you fall right back where you left off,” Mehldau said.

Despite several years of not collaborating frequently, each artist stayed busy with various projects, including some noteworthy albums for Nonesuch. Redman has recorded several albums on the label as both a leader and sideman. The most recent of which is 2015’s The Bad Plus Joshua Redman, his highly acclaimed quartet album with members of The Bad Plus.

Mehldau has appeared on numerous Nonesuch releases, in many different groups and collaborations, including Mehliana: Taming The Dragon (a collaboration between Mehldau and drummer Mark Guiliana) and the recently released Blues And Ballads, recorded with his trio (bassist Larry Grenadier and drummer Jeff Ballard).

Redman and Mehldau will tour together during late September and early October, with shows planned for New York City, California and the Midwest. The album is available for pre-order now at iTunes and nonesuch.com.

To read a review of Joshua Redman’s performance at the 2016 Playboy Jazz Festival, click here.

—Izzy Yellen

from  www.downbeat.com

snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2016 at 2:58pm

E.S.T. SYMPHONY release announced

Now it's official: ACT will release the album "E.S.T. SYMPHONY" on October 28th!

The album with symphonic versions of the music of e.s.t. Esbjörn Svensson Trio has just been recorded with the Royal Stockholm Philharmonic Orcestra, conducted and arranged by Hans Ek feat. Dan Berglund (b), Magnus Öström (dr), Iiro Rantala (p), Marius Neset (sax), Verneri Pohjola (tp) and Johan Lindström (git). 

from www.actmusic.com
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2016 at 3:51am
A number of classic albums by Ray Charles have been remastered and are set to be re-released in a new collection celebrating his years on Atlantic Records. Mono LP’s in the box set will include his self-titled 1957 release, plus ‘Yes Indeed,’ ‘What’d I Say’ and ‘The Genius of Ray Charles.’ 

Each record pressed on high quality 180 gram vinyl and packaged in sleeves that replicate the original releases in exacting detail, presented in an elegant hardbound box. The set also includes a booklet with period photos by Atlantic’s in-house photographer at the time, Lee Friedlander, and liner notes by Ray’s biographer, Grammy-winning writer David Ritz.

Ray Charles Atlantic Years in Mono will be released on September 23rd, his 86th birthday anniversary.

Ray Charles: The Atlantic Years – In Mono:

Ray Charles (1957)

Side One

1. Ain’t That Love
2. Drown In My Own Tears
3. Come Back Baby”
4. Sinner’s Prayer
5. Funny (But I Still Love You)
6. Losing Hand
7. A Fool For You

Side Two

1. Hallelujah I Love Her So
2. Mess Around
3. This Little Girl Of Mine
4. Mary Ann
5. Greenbacks
6. Don’t You Know
7. I Got A Woman

The Great Ray Charles (1957)

Side One

1. The Ray
2. My Melancholy Baby
3. Black Coffee
4. There's No You

Side Two

1. Doodlin’
2. Sweet Sixteen Bars
3. I Surrender Dear
4. Undecided

Yes Indeed! (1958)

Side One

1. What Would I Do Without You
2. It’s All Right
3. I Want To Know
4. Yes, Indeed!
5. Get On The Right Track Baby
6. Talkin’ ‘Bout You
7. Swanee River Rock (Talkin’ ‘Bout That River)

Side Two

1. Lonely Avenue
2. Blackjack
3. The Sun’s Gonna Shine Again
4. I Had A Dream
5. I Want A Little Girl
6. Heartbreaker
7. Leave My Woman Alone

What’d I Say (1959)

Side One

1. What’d I Say – Part I & II
2. Jumpin’ In The Mornin’
3. You Be My Baby
4. Tell Me How Do You Fee
5. What Kind Of Man Are You?

Side Two

1. Rockhouse – Part I & II
2. Roll With My Baby
3. Tell All The World About You
4. My Bonnie
5. That’s Enough

The Genius Of Ray Charles (1959)

Side One

1. Let The Good Times Roll
2. It Had To Be You
3. Alexander’s Ragtime Band
4. Two Years Of Torture
5. When Your Lover Has Gone
6. Deed I Do

Side Two

1. Just For A Thrill
2. You Won’t Let Me Go
3. Tell Me You’ll Wait For Me
4. Don't Let The Sun Catch You Cryin'
5. Am I Blue
6. Come Rain Or Come Shine

The Genius After Hours (1961)

Side One

1. The Genius After Hours
2. Ain’t Misbehavin’
3. Dawn Ray
4. Joy Ride

Side Two

1. Hornful Soul
2. The Man I Love
3. Charlesville
4. Music, Music, Music

The Genius Sings The Blues (1961)

Side One

1. Early In The Mornin’
2. Hard Times (No One Knows Better Than I)
3. The Midnight Hour
4. The Right Time
5. Feelin’ Sad
6. Ray’s Blues

Side Two

1. I’m Movin’ On
2. I Believe To My Soul
3. Nobody Cares
4. Mr. Charles’ Blues
5. Some Day Baby
6. I Wonder Who

from www.jazzfm.com/

snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2016 at 5:42am

Album features recordings of the Second Great Quintet

By Will DiGravio

In celebration of the 50th anniversary of Miles Davis’ legendary album Miles Smiles, Columbia/Legacy Recordings, a division of Sony Music Entertainment, will releaseMiles Davis Quintet: Freedom Jazz Dance: The Bootleg Series, Vol 5 on Oct. 21.

The three-CD set will include performances from three albums: Miles SmilesNefertitiand Water Babies, all of which were recorded between 1966-68. The recordings feature Davis’ Second Great Quintet, which included Wayne Shorter (tenor saxophone), Herbie Hancock (piano), Ron Carter (bass), Tony Williams (drums) and, of course, Davis on trumpet.

The collection will feature never-before-heard recordings, including full session reels, alternate takes of songs like “Masqualero,” lengthy studio conversations and a home recording of Davis and Shorter playing "Blues in F (My Ding).”

“Sourced from original four-track analog session reels and master tapes transferred and mixed in high resolution at 24-bit/192 kHz, Miles Davis Quintet: Freedom Jazz Dance: The Bootleg Series, Vol 5 offers a profound and intimate look at Miles' creative process in the studio, providing insight into the bold new musical directions Davis and members of his quintet would take as the 1960s drew to a close,” reads a press release announcing the set’s creation.

A complete track listing can be found below.

Disc 1 
1. Freedom Jazz Dance (Session Reel) 
2. Freedom Jazz Dance (Master Take) 
3. Circle (Session Reel) 
4. Circle (Take 5) 
5. Circle (Take 6) 
6. Dolores (Session Reel) 
7. Dolores (Master Take) 

Disc 2 
1. Orbits (Session Reel) 
2. Orbits (Master Take) 
3. Footprints (Session Reel) 
4. Footprints (Master Take) 
5. Gingerbread Boy (Session Reel) 
6. Gingerbread Boy (Master Take) 
7. Nefertiti (Session Reel) 
8. Nefertiti (Master Take)

Disc 3 
1. Fall (Session Reel) 
2. Fall (Master Take) 
3. Water Babies (Session Reel) 
4. Water Babies (Master Take) 
5. Masqualero (Alt. Take 3) 
6. Country Son (Trio Rehearsal) 
7. Blues in F (My Ding) 
8. Play Us Your Eight (Miles Speaks)

from jazztimes.com

Edited by snobb - 23 Aug 2016 at 5:42am
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2016 at 12:36pm

A January 1966 live recording, hitherto unreleased, of Yusef Lateef is to be issued on vinyl this autumn.

Issuing label Gearbox Records notes: “Accompanied at Ronnie Scott’s by the house band of pianist Stan Tracey, double bassist Rick Laird and drummer Bill Eyden, most of the repertoire played comes from Lateef’s earlier recordings for Savoy and Prestige such as Jazz Moods and Eastern Sounds. Lateef plays flute on ‘The Dreamer’ and ‘Last Night Blues’ (it was the last night of the run). He plays the shenai – a kind of oboe – on ‘Blues from The Orient,’ the xun – a Chinese flute – on ‘Song of Delilah,’ and tenor saxophone on ‘Yusef’s Mood’.” Release date is 4 November.

from http://www.marlbank.net

snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2016 at 7:32am
Strut Records are to issue a wealth of 45 single releases from avant-garde Cosmic jazz giant Sun Ra.

‘Singles: The Definitive 45s Collection’ will be released on a three CD volume, and two volumes on vinyl, with all music fully remastered, and including rare photos, poster artwork, extensive sleeve notes and detailed track by track and session notes.

The collection has been produced with the blessing and close working relationship with the Sun Ra Estate, spanning his immense and prolific output during the 1950s through more sporadic years to 1991. 

Most of Sun Ra's 45s were only pressed in small runs and have since become extremely rare and sought after. Some have only been discovered in physical form in recent years and  some were planned and penciled but allegedly never made it to vinyl. Some appeared as one-off magazine singles and posthumous releases.

The three CD collection, a vinyl box set with ten 45 singles and a limited edition vinyl LP will be released on November 25th 2016 followed by a second box of 45s and a gatefold three LP set in March 2017.

from www.jazzfm.com

Cannonball With Hat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2016 at 8:26pm
^ Hmm...I'm mildly interested. Though I imagine the second box will be more my speed.
Hit it on Five.

Saxophone Scatterbrain Blitzberg

Stab them in the ears.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2016 at 8:59pm
This already happened in the mid 90s to much acclaim:
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/album/sun-ra/the-singles(compilation)

I guess this new one has some extra tracks, it should, to make it worth the trouble.
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2016 at 12:10pm

National Jazz Museum, Apple to Release “The Savory Collection, Vol. 1”

Available Oct. 14

By Carolina Worrell

The National Jazz Museum in Harlem, New York and Apple Music have partnered up to release The Savory Collection, Volume 1 – Body and Soul: Coleman Hawkins and Friends, an 18-track collection featuring never-before-heard material by swing era jazz artists recorded between 1936 and 1940 and taped from radio broadcasts by sound engineer Bill Savory, available Oct. 14.

Featuring tracks by Coleman Hawkins and his orchestra, such as “Body and Soul,” and “Dinah,” a Lionel Hampton jam session, as well as recordings by Ella Fitzgerald, Fats Waller, Carl Kress and Emilio Caceres, the album, which was produced by Loren Schoenberg, founding director and senior scholar of the National Jazz Museum, and Ken Druker, includes a foreword by historian-filmmaker Ken Burns.

The Savory Collection is the story of a buried treasure,” said Schoenberg in a press release. “Imagine finding an unknown play of Shakespeare’s or an unknown novel by Mark Twain—that’s what this is! It’s as close to a musical time capsule as you’ll ever find—you are right there, in the moment, hearing never-before-heard sounds in truly remarkable fidelity.”

According to the press release, Schoenberg, with the help of Savory’s son Eugene Desavouret, discovered 975 discs and “hundreds of hours of music that no one knew about, which the museum immediately acquired with the goals of restoring the music and making it available to the public.”

“The superior sound of the tracks makes you feel as if you were in the room, with phenomenal pick up, due to Savory recording from in-studio lines coming directly from the radio networks on professional equipment,” according to the release.

The Savory Collection, Vol. 2 , featuring tracks from Count Basie’s band with saxophonist Lester Young, is expected to be released later this year, with subsequent volumes to follow in 2017.

from http://jazztimes.com

Edited by snobb - 28 Sep 2016 at 12:12pm
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 11:07am
"Art Pepper & Warne Marsh," Vol. 9 of the Critically Acclaimed "Unreleased Art" Series, to Be Released by Laurie Pepper's Widow's Taste Label on November 11

(Published: October 08, 2016)

On April 26, 1974, two wildly gifted and very different artists, Art Pepper and Warne Marsh, met again, for the first time in 17 years, by accident, on the stage at Donte's in North Hollywood, because Jack Sheldon had to cancel. It must have made for an unforgettable night for those who found themselves sitting in the legendary club and listening totwo cult heroes, two profoundly great musicians, playing for the audience and each other -- out of the lives they'd lived at the same time, in the same places, but personally and stylistically so far apart. 

Now we can join that audience. The music was recorded. And it will be released as a 3-CD set on November 11, just in time for the anniversary of Widow's Taste, the label Laurie Pepper started ten years ago to bring her collection of Art Pepper's unheard live performances to his fans.

In 1974, Art was at the very outset of what would be his last great comeback. He'd quit his job managing a bakery and was making a living playing bar mitzvahs and weddings. He had just started playing in Jack Sheldon's band, once a month, at Donte's.

Unlike Art's, Warne's career had been relentless and ongoing. He'd been touring with his own bands for years, and in 1974, he was traveling the world with Supersax, with whom he'd won a Grammy.

Though Warne forbade recording at his gigs, this gig was recorded. On reel-to-reel, quarter inch, quarter-track tape. The original tapes were quite good; the audio was probably picked up from the sound board. And the tapes were sent to Laurie Pepper by persons never known or now forgotten. She rediscovered them while cleaning out a closet. As she tells us in her liner note: "Sometimes, the way things and people come to me for Art's sake is -- I want to use the word -- miraculous." A good word for this night and those tapes. Laurie gave them to the incomparable Wayne Peet of Newzone Studio, who, "knows how jazz, how Art should sound." He balanced and enriched the onstage sound, killed excessive noise, and dealt delicately with inevitable glitches that occur in live recording. Laurie, a non-musician, goes on to talk about the Pepper/Warne distinctions in the language of a dedicated fan.

"Art lives down in the grime of earth. You can find him on the L.A. Freeway. You can get into your car, roll up the windows, put on any of Art's blues or ballads and delve into your pain and scream aloud to it. 
"Warne seeks sublimity, improvising music that's transcendent, that makes mere passions puny. He can take you to a level where sh*t doesn't matter.
"Warne offers to distract us. He offers art, the endlessness and possibilities of art, the infinite inventiveness and charm. Something in me, if I'll listen, hears his rhythmic and harmonic revelations and responds with pleasure, satisfaction, even laughter, as to a mystic's holy trickery.
"Art discovers, witnesses, makes us confront, the disasters and the raptures swimming through our own, shared, volatile blood, beyond the reach of language. He knows our grief, our joy, our rage, and turns them into something timeless. His music seems to talk about real, actual life, the one that's nasty, sweet, and short. And he convinces us, repeatedly, that, just as-is, it's sacred." 

This latest album joins the catalog of previous albums from the "Unreleased Art Pepper" series. All have gotten rave reviews from well-known critics. They are:

Volume I, Abashiri (2-CD set)

Volume II, Last Concert: Kennedy Center

Volume III, Croydon (2-CD set)

Volume IV, The Art History Project (3-CD set)

Volume V, Stuttgart (2-CD set)

Volume VI, Blues for the Fisherman: Live at Ronnie Scott's (4-CD set)

Volume VII, Sankei Hall, Osaka (2-CD set)

Volume VIII, Live at the Winery

And all (except Volume IV, which is available for download only) are available at both Amazon (http://bit.ly/buyArtPeppe...) and CD Baby (http://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/ArtPepper). Laurie says she'll keep releasing yearly miracles as long as she keeps finding them. She says there are still plenty in her closets. Maybe, next year, a ballad set? Maybe. 

More Information: http://www.lauriepepper.net

from  www.jazzcorner.com 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 19>
  Share Topic