JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Albums not released yet

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 19>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2015 at 1:15pm

Composer/Musician Wayne Horvitz Releases New Album Inspired by Richard Hugo Poetry

Composer/Musician WAYNE HORVITZ Releases Some Places Are Forever Afternoon, Paying Tribute to Poet Richard Hugo

Release Date: July 10, 2015 (Songlines SGL 1614-2)
Composer: Wayne Horvitz
Performers: Wayne Horvitz (piano, Hammond B-3, electronics), Ron Miles (cornet), Sara Schoenbeck (bassoon), Peggy Lee (cello), Tim Young (guitar), Keith Lowe (bass),
Eric Eagle (drums)
TRT: 58:13
Tracks: Money or a Story, Those Who Remain are the Worst, You Drink Until You are Mayor, Nothing Dies as Slowly as a Scene, All Weather is Yours No Matter How Vulgar?, The Beautiful Wives, for Jim and Lois Welch, In Some Other Home, The Car That Brought You Here Still Runs, Last Place There, You Must Have Stayed Hours, Some Places are Forever Afternoon

SEATTLE, WA - Known for his multifaceted musical personality, composer/musician Wayne Horvitz ventures into progressively-inclined acoustic jazz and ultra-modern classicism in his latest album, Some Places Are Forever Afternoon. Written in honor of the iconic Northwest poet Richard Hugo (1923-82), Some Places Are Forever Afternoon is a full-length suite of 12 compositions influenced by different poems of Hugo's. A colorful 28-page booklet featuring the poems and complementary photos accompanies the CD. In its final iteration, Some Places Are Forever Afternoon will tour in Fall 2015 including stops in the Northwest where Hugo lived, loved or wrote about and a New York City premiere at Roulette; there will also be a world premiere of an orchestral work for Seattle Symphony and guitarist Bill Frisell. (See below for tour schedule.)

"It is Hugo's enduring love of music, rambling, and the places of the Northwest that inspired me to interpret his work," says Horvitz. Born in White Center, Hugo crisscrossed the Pacific Northwest, Idaho, and Western Montana before settling in Missoula, Montana. From West Marginal Way to La Push to the Union Bar Grill in rural Montana, Horvitz followed his footsteps and visited some of the people and places that inspired Hugo. "Having grown up in the culture of the 60s, I am always fascinated by the writers, poets, painters and musicians who were the precursors to the giant sea change that happened in the 60s."

Like much of Horvitz's oeuvre, Some Places Are Forever Afternoon is skillfully constructed by combining jazz sonorities and harmonies in a composed structure. At times haunting, his imaginative collage of pre-composed music peppered with improvisation exudes a jazz feel. According to Horvitz, the music directly reflects Hugo's poems. "Hugo's poems are inherently musical because of the way they sound, the way they read, and the way they are structured. Consequently, the music is fairly structured, really instrumental songs, which is not typical of my work." Written for septet, Some Places Are Forever Afternoon combines members of two of Horvitz's most successful groups, Sweeter Than the Day and the Gravitas Quartet. "I have been thinking about putting these two bands together for a while. These are some of my favorite musicians on the planet."

Horvitz, who turns 60 on September 1st, has gone from being a key figure on the 1980s downtown New York music scene (he was the first booker at the Knitting Factory in NY in 1986) to catalyst for another fertile scene in Seattle over the past two decades (he founded Seattle's performance venue, The Royal Room, in 2011). Considered one of America's most creative musicians, he has been called "delightful and original" by Mojo. According to The New York Times, Horvitz "has[d] an evened-out, coherent composing voice that contains[ed] bebop and rock, gospel hymns and country, free jazz and funk and midcentury film music and Charles Ives. There is[was] very little posturing or provocation or wackiness in it."

About Wayne Horvitz
Wayne Horvitz (b. 1955) is a composer, pianist and electronic musician who has performed extensively throughout Europe, Asia, Australia, and North America. He is the leader of the Gravitas Quartet, Sweeter Than the Day, Zony Mash, The Four plus One Ensemble and co-founder of the New York Composers Orchestra. He has performed and collaborated with Bill Frisell, Butch Morris, John Zorn, George Lewis, Robin Holcomb, Fred Frith, Julian Priester, Michael Shrieve and Carla Bley, among others.

Commissioners include the NEA, Meet the Composer, Kronos String Quartet, Seattle Chamber Players, BAM, and Earshot Jazz. Collaborators include Paul Taylor, Liz Lerman, Bill Irwin and Gus Van Sant. Horvitz was recently awarded the 2015 MAP Grant (as well as two previous ones) and 2015 McKnight Visiting Composers Program. Recent compositions include The Heartsong of Charging Elk based on the novel by James Welch and 55: Music and Dance in Concrete, a site-specific collaboration with dancer Yukio Suzuki and video artist Yohei Saito. He is the music programmer for The Royal Room, a performance venue in Seattle, Washington, and a professor of composition at the Cornish College of the Arts.

Fall 2015 CD Release Tour:
10.2 Myrna Loy Center for Performing Arts, Helena, MT
10.3 Top Hat Lounge, Missoula, MT
10.5 Cisel Hall at MSU, Billings, MT
10.7 Location TBA, Pt Townsend, WA
10.8 Creative Music Guild, Portland, OR
10.9 The Shedd, Eugene, OR
10.10 Earshot Jazz Festival, Seattle, WA
10.11 Location TBA, White Center, WA
10.29 Seattle Symphony, Seattle, WA (premieres a new commissioned piece Those Who Remain by Horvitz featuring renowned jazz guitarist Bill Frisell)
11.27-28 Roulette, Brooklyn, NY

from www.jazzcorner.com
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2015 at 2:44pm

John Scofield to Release New Album, “Past Present,” Sept. 25

Quartet recording includes Joe Lovano, Bill Stewart, Larry Grenadier

By JazzTimes

Guitarist John Scofield will release a new album, Past Present, Sept. 25 via Impulse!/Universal Music Classics. The recording updates Scofield’s early-’90s quartet with drummer Bill Stewart and saxophonist Joe Lovano, joined by bassist Larry Grenadier, who replaces Marc Johnson and the late Dennis Irwin. Between 1990 and 1992, the guitarist released three albums--Meant to Be, Time on My Hands and What We Do —for the Blue Note label as the John Scofield Quartet. Past Present features nine new compositions by Scofield.

snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2015 at 4:03pm

Bob James and Nathan East to Release Duets Album

Recorded in Nashville entirely on Yamaha gear

By JazzTimes

Keyboardist Bob James and bassist Nathan East will release their first collabotrative outside of the group Fourplay album, The New Cool, Sept. 18 via Yamaha Entertainment Group. The recording, recorded in Nashville, was made using Yamaha gear exclusively. Produced by Chris Gero, the album consists of all-new original material and a few covers, including a version of Willie Nelson’s “Crazy” sung by country star Vince Gill. East and James, along with drummer Harvey Mason and guitarist Chuck Loeb, will also release a new Fourplay album later this year.

snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2015 at 3:52pm

John Pizzarelli to Release Album of Paul McCartney Covers Sept. 11

Ex-Beatle suggested the idea to the guitarist/vocalist

By JazzTimes

Guitarist and vocalist John Pizzarelli will release Midnight McCartney, an album of Paul McCartney covers, on Concord Records on Sept. 11. The idea for the album, which also features Pizzarelli’s wife, singer Jessica Molaskey, and pianist Larry Goldings, came from McCartney himself. According to a press release, the former Beatle suggested to Pizzarelli that he cut songs from McCartney’s canon. Pizzarelli and McCartney got to know each other when the guitarist contributed to McCartney’s Kisses on the Bottom, an album of standards. Pizzarelli has dipped into this catalog before, having recorded John Pizarelli Meets the Beatles in 1996.

Track listing

Silly Love Songs
My Love (includes Pizzarelli’s father Bucky on rhythm guitar)
Heart of the Country
Coming Up
No More Lonely Nights
Warm and Beautiful
Hi, Hi, Hi
Junk
My Valentine
Let 'Em In
Some People Never Know
Maybe I’m Amazed

snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2015 at 3:35am

HARRIS EISENSTADT'S CANADA DAY IV WILL BE RELEASED ON SEPTEMBER 4

Drummer/Composer's Quintet Features Nate Wooley on Trumpet, Matt Bauder on Tenor Sax, Chris Dingman on Vibraphone and New Member Pascal Niggenkemper on Bass

"With each new release, Canada Day is developing into a more intriguing ensemble as well as an ideal, malleable outlet for Eisenstadt's distinctive concepts." - Shaun Brady, Jazz Times

Canada Day III made many Best of 2012 lists. In the meantime, award-winning drummer Harris Eisenstadt launched a new group, Golden State (with two releases on Songlines). Now Canada Day, his his longest-running band, returns with its most accomplished album yet, a thoroughly entertaining, provocative program of original compositions that blends swinging modern jazz and spikier, off-center avant-jazz styles. The band's idionsyncratic sound world features close percussive/textural interplay between gorgeous vibist Dingman and Eisenstadt, who leads from the kit almost like a modern-day Art Blakey. Frontline soloists Wooley (whom Dave Douglas has called "one of the most interesting and unusual trumpeters living today") and Bauder (who recently toured for a year with Arcade Fire) play the whole jazz/improv tradition with great verve and character. Pascal Niggenkemper has taken over the bass chair, and the arrangements allow for many more small groupings than before. This eager, quick-witted bunch (highly respected bandleaders all) take full advantage of their opportunities with playing that frequently elicits smiles for its daring and abundant good humor. As Harris says, "I do think we're at our best when there's a palpable sense of high-wire negotiation of written and improvised materials happening. There's a congeniality amongst us that is also palpable. I value that looseness and trust within the group very much. If you're not enjoying yourselves together, why bother?"

Harris recaps the band's history and current direction: "Canada Day's first gig was at pianist Jim Carney's Konceptions series in Brooklyn on July 1, 2007 ¬- Canada Day [Canada's national holiday]. My original intention - really, what motivated me to move back to New York in 2005/2006 (I lived in New York from 1998-99 before moving to California for seven years) ¬- was to have a working band. I wanted to find the folks who would work together well, stick with it and develop a group concept incrementally. The group concept has changed over time as I've changed over time, but the core principle has remained basically the same: a quintet of standard instrumentation (with vibraphone slightly less traditional than piano would be) that could be a long-term vehicle for a variety of compositional structures and improvisational strategies. For Canada Day IV I wanted to go deeper into the possibilities of solo, duo, trio and quartet spaces within the ensemble. And rather than have stand-alone small group pieces, I decided to incorporate these different pieces into larger wholes, to keep shifting amounts of sonic information, weight and scope. As for my drumming, I continue to draw inspiration from non-drumset rhythm concepts, polyrhythmic traditions of Africa and the Diaspora, and particularly Cuban batá drumming these last five years."

About Pascal Niggenkemper Harris has this to say: "Pascal is a fantastic interpreter, reader, creative pattern varier, and a very adventurous improviser. Playing grooves with him feels great, as does improvising textures. I would say his playing probably incorporates more extended techniques than the other Canada Day bassists. So he has this really far-reaching creativity plus that intangible thing which everybody loves about a great bass player: he makes the music feel good."

A few notes on some of the pieces and their titles: "I started writing ‘After Several Snowstorms' one morning during the winter of 2014 when New York was getting dumped on. The opening bass line (which quickly morphs during the opening tenor solo and returns briefly at the beginning of the full ensemble material) has three groups of two notes... a series of one-two punches. ‘Sometimes It's Hard to Get Dressed in the Morning' and ‘Let's Say It Comes in Waves' both reference our son Owen, and the challenges of parenting. ‘Life's Hurtling Passage Onward,' ‘What Can be the Set to the Side' and ‘What's Equal to What' all come from the same Richard Ford passage that ‘The Arrangement of Unequal Things,' the first track on Golden State II, came from. ‘Meli Melo' is actually the French name for a Canadian snack mix called (in English) Bits and Bites. I started writing the book for Canada Day IV with a bunch of short pieces - some of which became duet pieces within longer structures, and two that ended up making up this last piece on the record - and they all had the title ‘Bits and Bites' with numbers assigned to them. As I tried to find a title for these last two parts that came together as one piece, for some reason an image of the red bag with Bits and Bites on one side and Meli Melo on the other came into my mind. Shreddies, peanuts, pretzels, and cheese crackers all mixed up together and over-salted. A little Canadian nostalgia, I guess."

Canada Day IV will next perform as part of Eisenstadt's residency at The Stone from September 1-6. For more information: www.harriseisenstadt.com

More Information: http://www.songlines.com

snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2015 at 3:57pm

New Release: Charlie Haden & Gonzalo Rubalcaba’s “Tokyo Adagio”

Late bassist and pianist were recorded together in 2005

By JazzTimes

Impulse!/Universal Music Classics will release Tokyo Adagio, an album featuring the late bassist Charlie Haden with pianist Gonzalo Rubalcaba, on Aug. 7. The album was recorded over several evenings at the Blue Note Tokyo in 2005. Haden passed away in July 2014.

The pair have been heard previously together on the Montreal Tapes (1998), Nocturne (2001) and Land of the Sun (2004).

snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2015 at 12:37pm

Karrin Allyson to Release Rodgers & Hammerstein Tribute Album

Kenny Barron and John Patitucci accompany the vocalist

By JazzTimes

Singer/pianist Karrin Allyson will release Many a New Day (Karrin Allyson Sings Rodgers & Hammerstein) Sept. 18, her debut for Motéma. The 14-song collection features Allyson’s takes on such classics as “Oh, What a Beautiful Morning,” “Happy Talk” and “I Cain’t Say No.” The album features Kenny Barron on piano and John Patitucci on bass (only the second time the two have recorded together).

Recorded at Sear Sound in New York City on May 1 and 2, Many a New Day is arranged by Allyson, executive produced by Jana Herzen and produced by Allyson in association with Michael Leonhart, known for his work with Steely Dan, Bobby McFerrin and most recently with Bruno Mars. 

TRACK LISTING

1. Oh, What A Beautiful Morning
2. Many A New Day
3. Happy Talk
4. I Cain't Say No
5. I Have Dreamed
6. Out Of My Dreams
7. Bali H'ai
8. When I Think Of Tom/Hello Young Lovers
9. We Kiss In A Shadow
10. You've Got To Be Carefully Taught
11. Something Wonderful
12. Surrey With A Fringe On Top
13. Something Good
14. Edelweiss
iTunes Bonus track: This Nearly Was Mine

snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2015 at 6:53am

Mack Avenue SuperBand to Release New Album

“Live From the Detroit Jazz Festival—2014” is third in series

By JazzTimes

The Mack Avenue SuperBand will release Live From the Detroit Jazz Festival—2014 Sept. 18 on Mack Avenue Records. The live album (following 2012 and ’13 releases from the same event) features bandleader and bassist Rodney Whitaker joined by
drummer Carl Allen, pianist Aaron Diehl and guitarist Evan Perri of Hot Club Of Detroit. Alto saxophonist Tia Fuller returns from the SuperBand's debut and vibraphonist Warren Wolf and tenor saxophonist Kirk Whalum also return.

snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2015 at 3:10am

NEWS: Eberhard Weber Jubilee Concert including Metheny premiere to appear on CD

Pat Metheny. Theaterhaus Stuttgart January 2015
Photo Credit Ralf Dombrowski. All Rights Reserved
Sebastian writes:

It is confirmed that a single ECM disc, "Hommage à Eberhard Weber", a recording of part of the 75th birthday jubilee tribute concert to the Grman bassist,, which was held in Stuttgart in January, will be coming out on CD, with a release date in September. Weber has not been able to play the bass since suffering a stroke in 2007. (Source Universal Germany - in German*)

The concert had Pat Metheny, Gary Burton, Jan Garbarek and Paul McCandless as guest soloists. Mike Gibbs directed the SWR Big Band for part of the programme. Ralph Towner was billed to appear but was indisposed. The main work was a premiere by Pat Metheny.

(*) The Jazz Echo story maintains that Metheny does not appear on the new record which is factually incorrect.

from www.londonjazznews.com
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2015 at 12:51pm

Herb Alpert to Release New Studio Album Sept. 25

Set consists of standards and new originals

By JazzTimes

Trumpeter, bandleader and record company executive Herb Alpert will release Come Fly With Me, a new studio album, Sept. 25 via his own label, Herb Alpert Presents. The set consists of new original compositions as well as standards such as the title track, the Beatles’ “Something,” “Take the ‘A’ Train” and “Danny Boy.”

Alpert and his band will be on tour through January. Full itinerary is below.

Come Fly With Me track list:
1. Come Fly With Me
2. Blue Skies
3. Got A Lot of Livin' To Do
4. Cheeky
5. Take The A Train
6. Love Affair
7. Windy City
8. Sweet and Lovely
9. Walkin' Tall
10. Night Ride
11. Something
12. On the Sunny Side of the Street
13. Danny Boy

Tour dates:
September 25 - Malibu, CA - Smothers Theatre
September 26 - Tucson, AZ - Fox Theatre
September 28 - Austin, TX - One World Theatre
September 29 - Austin, TX - One World Theatre
October 1 - Chicago, IL - Chicago City Winery
October 2 - Rochester, MN - Mayo Civic Presentation Hall
December 2 - Saratoga, CA - Montalvo
December 3 - Saratoga, CA - Montalvo
December 5 - Oakland, CA - Yoshi's Oakland
December 6 - Oakland, CA - Yoshi's Oakland
December 7 - Oakland, CA - Yoshi's Oakland
January 26 - Seattle, WA - Jazz Alley
January 27 - Seattle, WA - Jazz Alley
January 28 - Seattle, WA - Jazz Alley
January 30 - Spokane, WA - Spokane Symphony

snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2015 at 12:54pm

Santana & McLaughlin Montreux Set Coming to CD

Companion to previously released video

By JazzTimes

Eagle Rock Entertainment has announced the Sept. 11 release of Invitation to Illumination—Live At Montreux 2011 on two-CD and in digital formats. The performance was previously issued in video formats—this marks the first audio release of the concert, which took place July 1, 2011.

TRACK LISTING
1) Echoes Of Angels
2) The Life Divine
3) Medley: Peace On Earth / A Hard Rain Is Gonna Fall / Stairway To Heaven / Summer In The City / Our Prayer / Free America / The 8th Of January / La Marseillaise / SOCC
4) Medley: Right Off / Guitar Interlude / Voodoo Child (Slight Return)
5) Vuelta Abajo
6) Vashkar
7) Medley: The Creator Has A Master Plan / Guitar Interlude
8) Naima
9) Medley: Lotus Land Op.47 No.1 / Don’t Let Me Be Misunderstood

Disc Two:
1) Downstairs Blues
2) Medley: Venus / Upper Egypt
3) Let Us Go Into The House Of The Lord
4) Medley: Black Satin / Smooth Criminal / Land Of 1000 Dances
5) Cindy Blackman Santana Drum Solo
6) A Love Supreme
7) Shake It Up And Go

snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2015 at 1:25pm

Pérez, Patitucci and Blade Announce Trio Album

All are Wayne Shorter Quartet members

By JazzTimes

Danilo Pérez, John Patitucci and Brian Blade, three-quarters of the Wayne Shorter Quartet for more than a decade, are releasing a trio album, Children of the Light, Sept. 18 on Mack Avenue Records.

The 11 tracks include original compositions by all three members of the trio and a new take on "Dolores," a Shorter classic. Pérez, who typically plays acoustic piano, plays a Yamaha CP4 Stage electric piano on his West African-rooted piece "Lumen." Patitucci, who plays acoustic, five- and six-string electric bass, contributes three pieces, including "Ballad for a Noble Man," which features cellist Sachi Patitucci. Drummer and percussionist Blade contributes "Within Everything.”

The name of the recording is a play on Shorter's "Children of the Night," a piece that first appeared on Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers' Mosaic in 1961.

snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2015 at 1:26pm

Nicholas Payton to Release 2-CD “Letters” Album Friday

26 tracks, each named after a letter of the alphabet

By JazzTimes

Trumpeter/composer Nicholas Payton will release Letters, his first double album, this Friday. Aug. 7. The album features Payton’s band mates Vicente Archer (bass) and Bill Stewart (drums). The 26 tracks are titled from A to Z and several are dedicated to the likes of Axel Foley, Quincy Jones, Patrice Rushen, Al Hirt, Melvin Lastie, Bud Powell, Donald Bailey, Wilson Turbinton and Dario Payton, Nicholas’ brother. The release is on Paytone Records, the artist’s own label.

A press release was written by pianist Benny Green. The text follows in its entirety:

“Being a pianist, I am fascinated in hearing how musicians whose primary instrument is not the piano, touch the keys. While there are seemingly no limits to the variety of sounds which can be achieved through the instrument, I've noticed that horn players, bassists, drummers and vocalists inevitably approach the piano with an unaffected kind of fresh take, untethered by constraints imposed by the ego of a self-claimed pianist.

“With crystal clear articulation and a refreshingly welcoming economy of notes, Nicholas achieves such a warm, infectiously optimistic mood from the piano without broadcasting any sort of agenda to exhibit “pianism." And this lack of a projected impulse to affect a virtuosic front creates some of the most inviting piano I’ve heard in recent times.

“The mutual respect within the band is abundantly apparent in every turn of phrase. Anyone who’s truly listening can sense that Nicholas, Vicente and Bill love playing together. This is an energetically engaged band. All three players are so versed in music that they share values and an unspoken attitude of zero jiveness or "show biz” trickery in their collective approaches.

“This music is fertile and potent with emotion, and all the while the wide-ranging sweep of moods represented on these two discs is doing things to your ears and body, there is an ongoing dialogue in every moment for the intellectual seeker to feast on.

“Nicholas’ piano playing reveals an unhampered approach to telling a story and connecting with the rhythm section organically rather than stacking upon them. This chemistry mirrors how much easier it becomes for humans to connect in substantial ways when egos are set aside with an intention to support and compliment one another. Nicholas’ piano playing speaks with the clarity of honesty and a noticeably selfless, organic vibe that I must say I’ve never quite heard or felt before.

“There is a sonorous nature to the songs and intervals which cause a piece we’ve never previously heard to feel like a hip long-lost friend, like meeting someone and intuitively feeling so relaxed around them as though you’ve known them all your life.”

Listen to selections from Letters here.

snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2015 at 10:29am

Fred Hersch to Release “Solo” CD, Premiere Theater Piece

Pianist/composer will celebrate 60th birthday with tour

By JazzTimes

Pianist/composer Fred Hersch will celebrate his 60th birthday this fall with a new CD, a world theatrical premiere and concerts. On Sept. 4 Hersch’s new CD, Solo, will be released on Palmetto Records. On the same day Hersch and his trio will perform at the Chicago Jazz Festival.

Also planned: 

* September 9—Trio Performance at Bucknell University

* October 15-18—World premiere of Rooms of Light, described as “a song cycle for stage featuring words by poet Mary Jo Salter,” commissioned by Peak Performances and to be performed at Montclair State University.

* October 20-25—A Week at the Village Vanguard with his trio

* October 29 –Solo concert at Jordan Hall, New England Conservatory

snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2015 at 10:30am

Adegoke Steve Colson Releases 1st Solo Piano Album

AACM mainstay pays tribute to great abolitionists

By JazzTimes

Adegoke Steve Colson, best known for his decades-long association with the AACM (Association for the Advancement of Creative Musicians), will release Tones For, his first-ever solo piano album, Nov. 20, on his own Silver Sphinx label. On the recording, Colson pays tribute to anti-slavery activists Harriet Tubman, Sojourner Truth and Frederick Douglass.

The release of the album, Colson’s first since his 2010 CD The Untarnished Dream, coincides with the 150th anniversary of the end of the Civil War and 50 years since the founding of the AACM, with which Colson has been associated for most of his career.

Tour Dates

Sept. 6 – Steve & Iqua Colson 40 Years in the Moment at the Jazz & Heritage Pavillion as Part of The Chicago Jazz Festival

Oct. 17 – Penn Ar Jazz - Atlantique Jazz Festival #12, Brest, France

Oct. 23 – AACM New York Chapter
50th Anniversary Celebration
Steve and Iqua Colson: 40 Years in the Momentwith Marlene Rice (vn), Reggie Workman (b) and Andrew Cyrille on Drums

Nov. 19 – Tones For CD Release
Steinway Hall, 1155 Avenue of the Americas, NY, NY

snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2015 at 10:31am

Christian McBride Trio to Release “Live at the Village Vanguard”

Album arrives Sept. 18 on Mack Avenue

By JazzTimes

The Christian McBride Trio will release Live at the Village Vanguard on Mack Avenue Records on Sept. 18. The album features bassist McBride with drummer Ulysses Owens, Jr. and pianist Christian Sands.

snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2015 at 3:52pm

Fourplay Celebrates 25th Anniversary with “Silver”

Third album by group to feature guitarist Chuck Loeb

By JazzTimes

The contemporary jazz quartet Fourplay will celebrate its 25th anniversary with the Nov. 20 release of Silver (Concord), the third album to feature the group’s newest member, guitarist Chuck Loeb. Loeb joins original members bassist Nathan East, keyboardist Bob James and drummer Harvey Mason. Silver also features special guest appearances from guitarists Larry Carlton and Lee Ritenour, both early members of the group, and saxophonist Kirk Whalum.

Following the theme of the occasion, most of the 10 new original compositions comprising Silver play off of the anniversary, bearing titles such as “Sterling,” “Precious Metal” and “A Silver Lining.”

snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2015 at 3:53pm

Brad Mehldau Releasing Live 8-LP Vinyl Box Set October 16

Decade of recordings from European concerts; CD and digital to follow

By JazzTimes

Nonesuch Records will release Brad Mehldau’s 10 Years Solo Live eight-LP vinyl box set on Oct. 16. The set is culled from 19 live recordings made over a decade of the pianist’s European solo concerts and is divided into four thematic subsets of four sides each: Dark/Light, The Concert, Intermezzo/Rückblick, and E Minor/E Major. The complete track listing is below. 10 Years Solo Live will be released on CD and digitally the following month; vinyl pre-orders are available now at nonesuch.com and include in instant download of the album track “Waltz for J. B.”

Track listing

DARK/LIGHT
Side 1
1. Dream Brother (13:34)
Jeff Buckley
Recorded 11/5/13 at the Liszt Academy of Music, Budapest, Hungary

2. Blackbird (6:30)
John Lennon/Paul McCartney
Recorded 9/18/11 at Auditori Palau de Congressos, Sala de Cambra, Girona, Spain

Side 2
1. Jigsaw Falling into Place (11:52)
Thom Yorke/Jonny Greenwood/Colin Greenwood/Phil Selway/Ed O'Brien
Recorded 9/17/11 at Oper Leipzig, Leipzig, Germany

2. Meditation I – Lord Watch Over Me (8:45)
Brad Mehldau
Recorded 3/10/14 at Palais des Beaux-Arts, Brussels, Belgium

Side 3
1. And I Love Her (15:59)
John Lennon/Paul McCartney
Recorded 11/08/13 at Théâtre de Vevey, Vevey, Switzerland

Side 4
1. My Favorite Things (12:14)
Richard Rodgers/Oscar Hammerstein II
Recorded 3/16/10 at Conservatoire de Musique, Luxembourg, Luxembourg

2. This Here (8:15)
Bobby Timmons

THE CONCERT
Side 5
1. Smells Like Teen Spirit (9:37)
Kurt Cobain

2. Waltz for J. B. (6:05)
Brad Mehldau
Recorded 7/15/10 at Castello degli Ezzelini, Bassano del Grappa, Italy

Side 6
1. Get Happy (12:31)
Harold Arlen/Ted Koehler
Recorded 10/30/10 at Shiftung Mozarteum Großer Saal, Salzburg, Austria

2. I’m Old Fashioned (5:20)
Jerome Kern/Johnny Mercer
Recorded 3/17/10 at Muziekgebouw Eindhoven, Frits Philipshal, Eindhoven, Germany

Side 7
1. Teardrop (14:13)
Grantley Marshall/Andrew Lee Isaac Vowles/Robert Del Naja/Elizabeth Fraser
Recorded 6/09/11 at Wiener Konzerthaus, Mozartsaal, Vienna, Austria

2. Meditation II – Love Meditation (5:53)
Brad Mehldau
Recorded 9/17/11 at Oper Leipzig, Leipzig, Germany

Side 8
1. Holland (11:06)
Sufjan Stevens
Recorded 11/08/13 at Théâtre de Vevey, Vevey, Switzerland

2. Knives Out (11:34)
Recorded 03/29/11 at Auditorium Parco della Musica, Sala Sinopoli, Rome, Italy

INTERMEZZO/RÜCKBLICK
Side 9
1. Lost Chords (9:29)
Brad Mehldau
Recorded 7/10/05 at Copenhagen Jazz Festival, Copenhagen, Denmark

2. Countdown (10:42)
John Coltrane

Side 10
1. On the Street Where You Live (7:08)
Frederick Loewe/Alan Jay Lerner

2. Think of One (7:46)
Thelonious Monk
Recorded 8/05/04 at the Menton Music Festival, Basilique Saint Michel Archange, Menton, France

Side 11
1. Zingaro/Paris (10:42)
Antônio Carlos Jobim
Brad Mehldau

2. John Boy (3:35)
Brad Mehldau

3. Intermezzo in B-flat major, Op. 76: No. 4 (2:39)
Johannes Brahms
Recorded 6/07/11 at Stadttheatre, Wels, Austria

4. Junk (5:07)
Paul McCartney
Recorded 11/17/04 at Wigmore Hall, London, England

Side 12
1. Los Angeles II (5:16)
Brad Mehldau

2. Monk’s Mood (4:45)
Thelonious Monk

3. Knives Out (7:22)

E MINOR/E MAJOR
Side 13
1. La Mémoire et la Mer (10:37)
Léo Ferré
Recorded 9/10/11at Cité de la Musique, Salle Pleyel, Paris, France

2. Hey You (11:07)
Roger Waters
Recorded 9/18/11 at Auditori Palau de Congressos, Sala de Cambra, Girona, Spain

Side 14
1. Bittersweet Symphony/Waterloo Sunset (15:50)
Richard Ashcroft/Keith Richards/Mick Jagger
Ray Davies

2. Intermezzo in E minor, Op. 119: No. 2 (5:06)
Johannes Brahms
Recorded 3/25/11 at Sociedad Filarmónica de Bilbao, Bilbao, Spain

Side 15
1. Interstate Love Song (17:58)
Eric Kretz/Robert DeLeo/Scott Weiland/Dean DeLeo
Recorded 3/10/14 at Palais des Beaux-Arts, Brussels, Belgium

Side 16
1. God Only Knows (16:44)
Brian Wilson/Tony Asher
Recorded 6/09/11 at Wiener Konzerthaus, Mozartsaal, Vienna, Austria

snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2015 at 1:27am
Black Light – new album (sept 2015)

"I have explored ways in music and recorded them with happiness. ‘Black Light’ has opened a portal that is neither Jazz nor Rock, nor Indian nor Blues, and yet all of these: it’s an open door."

from  www.johnmclaughlin.com
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2015 at 12:56am

Chick Corea- Béla Fleck 2-CD Collection Out in September

Followup to 2007’s “The Enchantment”

By JazzTimes

Chick Corea and banjo virtuoso Béla Fleck will release Two, a followup to their 2007 release The Enchantment (Concord jazz), on Sept. 11. The double album, recorded live over an eight-year span, includes compositions from The Enchantment, other Corea and Fleck material, as well as new music added to the repertoire along the way.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 19>
  Share Topic