JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Suggest new bands/artists to JMA
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

van der graaf generator

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: van der graaf generator
    Posted: 22 Jul 2014 at 6:31pm
I wouldn t bring up vdgg as a jazz related possibility if you didn t have yes here. Probably already been suggested but what say youz?
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2014 at 6:52pm
Quick comparison:

Yes was the backup band for Eddie Harris' "EH in the UK" in a sense, they were already here.

A lot of Yes' music was created and performed by musicians who put out high quality bona fide jazz albums on a regular basis:
Bill Bruford
Steve Howe
Patrick Moraz
On many, although not all, of Yes' albums you can hear the jazz influence, especially the early albums.

The early version of Yes with Tony Kaye and Bruford had a strong RnB/jazz element, a later version with Moraz (and the album preceding his arrival) had a strong fusion element. 
There are plenty of later Yes albums with no jazz, RnB or fusion at all, but we generally operate on a full discography rule.

Only the rock fans come here and fuss over our Jazz Related Rock section, its really a somewhat inconsequential section of the site. Wink
No for VDGG, ... but they would make a great addition for a prog rock site.

And yes, Yes is listed on allaboutjazz, if you think we are going to let them beat us at anything, you are so very very wrong, bruhahahaha Evil Smile

To all that I would add that in my years of working with fusion and RnB/jazz bands, in conversation, Yes is a rock band that has always ranked at the top for the musicians in those bands, I can't recall anyone ever mentioning vdgg at all.

Edited by js - 22 Jul 2014 at 8:20pm
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2014 at 10:08pm
Thanks for that detailed reply. I love Yes and agree that their music is complex. Didn t know the jazz connections. So VDGG having a member who can play two brass instruments simultaneously isn t jazz enough
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2014 at 10:31pm
Also Van Der Graaf is on Allaboutjazz as well.
They're beating us!

http://musicians.allaboutjazz.com/vandergraafgenerator

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2014 at 10:32pm
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2014 at 1:04am
Maybe they could be added some day, but for now we're going to concentrate on the hundreds of jazz musicians we are still missing. I see they have a spot reserved on allabout, but no one has ever bothered to fill it in, still not a big interest in them from the jazz side of things. Just in terms of pure chops, I never heard vdgg play on near the same level as Yes with Bruford on drums. 
Two horns at once does increase your Rahsaan Roland Kirk appeal though.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2014 at 8:50am
I agree. They come from more of a progressive singer songwriter angle. I hesitated in suggesting them but thought what the hey. Totally understand your decision
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic