JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Unknown song, can you help me identify it?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McCHitman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unknown song, can you help me identify it?
    Posted: 14 Jul 2014 at 1:53pm
Hi, 1st time poster.

I've been trying to figure out the name of this song for a while now. It plays at the end of a Cosby Show episode titled, "Claire's Place".

I have uploaded the song to Youtube, so you can listen to it. I appreciate the help.

http://youtu.be/nBa5spcPsgk
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2014 at 2:52pm
Welcome to the site, I will check this out and hopefully have your answer soon.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2014 at 3:40pm
Its a piano player who plays in the RnB/jazz idiom, and the original recording probably comes from the late 70s or early 80s.

That narrows the field quite a bit. Its does not sound like Herbie Hancock at all, but it does sound a lot like Ramsey Lewis, but as for now, I don't know the title yet. I'll keep looking, in the meantime, let me know if you find out.
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2014 at 3:54am
My audio card is being an idiot for some reason - I heard a handful of notes on this one before it stopped working

https://myspace.com/groverwashingtonjunior/music/song/look-at-this-55196585-59813468

Similar? I dunno - I heard some of your clip before I loaded this one. Will restart my computer in a tic and see if I can finish comparing.

Long story just for one link, huh? :)

Edited by dreadpirateroberts - 15 Jul 2014 at 3:54am
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2014 at 5:55am
Thats not the right song, but it could be the same piano player, they have similar styles.
 I assumed the op had already seen this album while he was doing his searches, but maybe not.
McCHitman View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McCHitman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2014 at 6:10pm
Hey I appreciate the help! I haven't seen this album before oddly enough, but I'm definitely gonna listen to it now that I know about it haha.

I'm guessing you already know that it's not one of the songs from the "House Full of Love..." album? Or could it possibly be one of those tracks?

Again, I appreciate the search!

EDIT: I found this album http://rateyourmusic.com/release/comp/various_artists_f2/stu_gardner_presents_total_happiness__music_from_the_bill_cosby_show_vol_ii/

But can't seem to find anyplace to listen to the tracks. I might just buy it off amazon to see if it's on there.

EDIT #2- Purchased the CD from Amazon. Fingers crossed haha.

Edited by McCHitman - 15 Jul 2014 at 6:30pm
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2014 at 6:34pm
Keep us posted, it might be on one of those albums. If your song is on the Grover Washington album, then its a part of the song where Grover's saxophone doesn't appear.
McCHitman View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McCHitman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2014 at 7:31am
I listened to the Grover album last night and it wasn't on there. I'm hoping it's on the one I ordered. None of that music appears on iTunes or YouTube, that's strange.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2014 at 8:21am
You can watch the episode on youtube, but there are no credits for the song at the end of the show.
McCHitman View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McCHitman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2014 at 4:35pm
Welp, I received the album and listened to it, but the song I'm searching for isn't on there....

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2014 at 4:51pm
I still think its Ramsey Lewis. You might want to try a site like allmusic or amazon where you can hear song samples and try the Lewis albums from about the mid 70s to the early 90s and see if its in there somewhere.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic