JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

When Lights Are Low

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gitfrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: When Lights Are Low
    Posted: 11 Jul 2014 at 8:36am
I'm desperate for some assistance on the the bridge of Benny Carters' song, When Lights Are Low.

Can anyone send me the chords to the bridge? (for guitar- Key of F please, but will take another key)

I already have the Miles Davis arrangement, so it has to be Benny's original chart.

I would greatly appreciate your help.

Regards,
Geno

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2014 at 8:40am
I will look into it and let you know if I find anything or not ... and welcome to the site.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2014 at 8:49am
Here is a link that might work for you, looks like its in Eb so you'll have to take everything up one step to get in F. Let me know if you need help transposing, I can do that.
Also, let me know if this isn't what you are looking for, I found other resources too.

gitfrog View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gitfrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2014 at 9:06am
I've seen that before ( and all sorts on the internet) and I tried to look inside as they say you can, even tried downloading "scorch", or whatever they say you need to see it, but still couldn't get to see any part of the bridge. So I don't know if it has Benny's original bridge or not.

I have a few recordings of the song but I'm having difficulty hearing the changes.

Thanks for your quick response. I appreciate your time.

Geno
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2014 at 9:16am
No problem, let me look some more. I'll get back to you.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2014 at 9:20am
Check this guy, there is another sheet music resource that I really like, but i haven't re-found it yet, still looking.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2014 at 9:31am
Here it is, check this thread, I've found some cool lead sheets on here that I couldn't find elsewhere.

gitfrog View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gitfrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2014 at 9:58am
Nope, the first one doesn't have the song and the second one, the site is no longer on the net.

Cry

Geno
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2014 at 10:11am
Bummer, that was a good site, probably got in trouble for copyrite violation.
I have to step out for a bit now, I'll do more looking later, but this appears to be a difficult find.

You might want to try listing your request in the musician section of New York City's Craig's List.
Hold on and I will get you a link.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2014 at 10:14am
Here is a link to NYC's craigslist musician section. I'll check back later.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2014 at 11:38am
Found this on craigslist.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2014 at 11:40am
^ they have Lights are Low, I just looked at it, its free too, but I don't know if it is the Miles arrangement.
gitfrog View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gitfrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2014 at 11:41am
That last one did it! I found a site that I actually saw before and there it was.

Thanks so much for all your time and effort. You must be retired like me to have the time to do this.LOL

Regards,

Geno
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2014 at 11:42am
LOL  No, not retired, but I work at schools a lot, summer time is free time! (mostly). 
gitfrog View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gitfrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2014 at 11:45am
Do you play? Are you a musician?
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2014 at 11:47am
Yeah, I play keyboards, I'm more in the jazzy/RnB realm than pure jazz. I work on playing standards at home and with friends, and will occasionally play things like that in public, but I'm not in the same class as the real hardcore boppers. I keep working on it, meanwhile I do pro gigs in RnB, funk, fusion, blues etc.
gitfrog View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gitfrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2014 at 11:57am
Obviously I own a guitar, and I mostly play by myself with backing tracks. They're great. Always on time and never make a mistake. I try to get together with my grandson, who passed me a long time ago. But he occasionally humors me and makes the effort.

By the way, that chart was in the key I wanted.

Thanks again,

Geno
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2014 at 12:04pm
I noticed it was in F, that was cool.
By the way, if you ever feel like writing reviews or know someone who wants to, please go ahead, our site gets a lot of fusion reviews while other genres are not getting the attention they deserve.

Even if you don't want to review, feel free to rate some records, its quick and easy, our older jazz styles need more ratings and reviews.
Right now I'm just about the only person on the site who can review pre-50s jazz, or even pre-60s sometimes.

Also, tell any jazz loving freinds or relatives about us if you want.
gitfrog View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gitfrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2014 at 12:15pm
Let me look into that. I love Jazz but I concentrate on guitar. I'll check out you review section and see if I can do it.

Geno
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2014 at 12:20pm
If the reviews look difficult, you can always click on the stars under the albums and rate them, that part is easy, but all the same, don't feel obligated.
Cheers my friend.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic