JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Jazz pieces with saxophone and violin?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saga333 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jazz pieces with saxophone and violin?
    Posted: 01 Jun 2014 at 9:49pm
Does anyone know any advanced jazz compositions that have both violin & alto saxophone?

It doesn't have to be duos or trios, just pieces with those instruments... 

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2014 at 10:20pm
You probably want to check out the music of violinist and composer Leroy Jenkins, I'm sure he has plenty of music with saxophonists.
In an interesting coincidence, I saw him in concert once with just him on violin and Oliver Lake on saxophone.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2014 at 7:33am
Henry Lowther play (s)ed trumpet and violin,

But on his first album, he plays with Roberts, who is on sax

Other hints (obviously easier to search via violonists):

jean Pierre Catoul (Belgium, not yet in the database), Didier Lockwood (most likely if so, it's with saxman Didier Malherbe), JL Ponty and Stephane Grapelli, but at first hand, it's not that obvious that any of them featured major amount of sax in their solo albums

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

kiwistech View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwistech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2014 at 2:03am
I noticed even here some people has played violin and saxophone, and they are not duos trio or quartets. You should consider listening them too.
onlinejazz View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onlinejazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2014 at 6:34am
You may as well have a look for pieces with flute and sax. Flute and violin are quite exchangeable. 

Perhaps you have to put some parts an octave down, but it should be fine. I have played some violin stuff with my flute.

Another idea would be to take a saxophone duo and to transpose a Bb voice to C. It will be quickly done.

http://www.nyjazzacademy.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic