JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

JAZZ AND POETRY

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RonPrice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: JAZZ AND POETRY
    Posted: 31 May 2014 at 7:39am
Jazz and poetry are intertwined because of their immense opportunity for self-expression.  One could, of course, make this same claim for the intertwining of poetry with other forms of self-expression.  Poet, essayist, saxophonist and Professor English, Sascha Feinstein, in his discussion of this linkage, this interweaving, of jazz and poetry, emphasizes the spiritual devotion of some jazz musicians.  For them, a life separated from jazz can not be contemplated. It is the improvization, he says, which is at the centre of this self-expression. 

This line of thought is also true of my poetry, but the devotion in my case is to a new religion of The Book.  My life is literally unimaginable without this Book.  It would be quite unnatural for me not to write about this new religion of The Book.  This Book is intimately connected to emotionally charged events in my personal life and my poetry gives expression to this intimacy, this emotional charge, in a form of self-expression that is rooted in improvization. –Ron Price with thanks to “Jerry Jazz Musician: Interview with Sascha Feinstein,”  Internet Site, 1 November 2008.

They’ve been playing in the background

all my life, but I have to turn the dial, put

the program on, listen to the record or CD.

Receptivity is a key, investing meaning or

nothing will happen: it will just be a lot of

noise, sound, crashing waves on the shore.

I’ve slowly grown accustomed to the sound

like a distant echo that keeps repeating, a fog

horn that keeps blowing as the ships come in

on stormy nights.  There’s nostalgia in many

of the cadences, intonations, tones and timbre.

They take me back and over, through and with.

It’s a pity that such beauty can not be seen and

only heard, but that will be enough to enrich my

life to the last syllable of my recorded time here.

Ron Price

1 November 2008

Edited by RonPrice - 31 May 2014 at 8:02am
married for 48 years, a teacher for 32, a student for 18, a writer and editor for 16, and a Baha'i for 56(in 2015)
RonPrice View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RonPrice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2014 at 7:42am
How does a person change the background colour of a post like the one abover?-Ron
married for 48 years, a teacher for 32, a student for 18, a writer and editor for 16, and a Baha'i for 56(in 2015)
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2014 at 7:54am
I'm sorry, but only the site owner can change the background.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2014 at 7:59am
If you can find another way to post it, I'm interested in Ellington and Fletcher Henderson.
RonPrice View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RonPrice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2014 at 8:02am
I decided to simple post another pice of my writing about jazz and poetry.-Ron Price, Australia
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic