JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What you think about classical music ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stayl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What you think about classical music ?
    Posted: 20 May 2014 at 4:05pm
Hi, I saw some opinion of Classical listener about jazz on some forums, but I don't think I've seen any serious opinion of Jazz listener about Classical ? It irritates how some classical listener denigrate Jazz and says it's poor music, while some others are more open about Jazz.
What do you think about this music ? Generally, about the emotions, the harmonies, the melodies, technically speaking, the ambiance...Smile
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2014 at 7:50pm
There is classical music I like, and some I don't like as much. My favorites are mostly in the 20th century, starting with the Russian nationalists and moving through the French impressionists, then the American and French take on both neo-classical and serialism, and finally the avant-garde of the 50s and 60s. There is a lot of music I like in that entire century.
Besides that, I think my next favorites would be J S Bach and the pre-Baroque composers.

As far as classicists complaining about jazz, once you hit the 20th century, the two worlds of jazz and concert hall music become entwined and never separated again.
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwordser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2014 at 9:59am
I like jazz and  (most) music typically classified as "classical".   I'll listen to either depending on my mood, though i I spend most of my time listening to prog rock.

We fortunately live in a time when all past music is at our fingertips. I try to listen to and understand music in a wholistic sense, and I believe it is not possible to fully understand  or appreciate jazz without appreciating classical as well. There's a development from one type and style to another in a gigantic tree where some branches grow together, so it's all related.
Cannonball With Hat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2014 at 5:15pm
I like classical music. My interests mainly in the early 20th century stuff (Second Viennese school)  and similar avant-garde/modern composition works as well as Stravinsky and Bartok and the like.

I do like the more "classic" stuff...Mozart, Bach, etc...but I don't listen to them all that often. They certainly fulfill the criteria of music that I like but I'm not a huge fan of all the competition between the recordings/weight the conductor has over a certain recording, so I generally don't buy the stuff. (I also usually want more drums too but thayt's all on me. Tongue)

In short....classical is Thumbs Up
Hit it on Five.

Saxophone Scatterbrain Blitzberg

Stab them in the ears.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic