JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need help to identify song

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JR_Ewing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need help to identify song
    Posted: 17 Nov 2013 at 2:00pm
It's a jazz piece from the movie Eyes Wide Shut.  The song is not in the soundtrack, nor listed in the credits, nor posted on the imdb website.  I posted on several movie forums but nobody knows what the song is.  I hope someone on a jazz forum might recognize it.  Thanks.
I uploaded a short video clip from the movie which plays the song in the background.

View the Video
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2013 at 2:22pm
Nice music, I don't recognize right away, but let me see what I can find out.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2013 at 2:49pm
Although it sounds like an older player, looks like it may be Brad Mehldau:

In addition to his trio and solo projects, Mehldau has worked with a number of great jazz musicians, including a rewarding gig with saxophonist Joshua Redman’s band for two years, recordings and concerts with Pat MethenyCharlie Haden and Lee Konitz, and recording as a sideman with the likes of the late Michael BreckerWayne ShorterJohn Scofield, and Charles Lloyd. For more than a decade, he has collaborated with several musicians and peers whom he respects greatly, including the guitarists Peter Bernstein and Kurt Rosenwinkel and tenor saxophonist Mark Turner. Mehldau also has played on a number of recordings outside of the jazz idiom, like Willie Nelson’s Teatro and singer-songwriter Joe Henry’s Scar. His music has appeared in several movies, including Stanley Kubrick’s Eyes Wide Shut and Wim Wender’sMillion Dollar Hotel. He also composed an original soundtrack for the French film, Ma Femme Est Une Actrice.

I have to work now, but I will be pursuing this more later, stay tuned. Wink

JR_Ewing View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JR_Ewing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2013 at 2:50pm
Thank you.  I really appreciate that. 
JR_Ewing View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JR_Ewing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2013 at 3:01pm
Thanks, again.  I'm going to check out some of Brad Mehldau best songs to see if I can't locate that piece.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2013 at 3:06pm
In a couple hours when I am off work, I'll try to pinpoint the actual song.
JR_Ewing View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JR_Ewing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2013 at 3:13pm
Awesome.  Thanks!  Of course, if I find it before then I'll post it here. 
JR_Ewing View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JR_Ewing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2013 at 3:47pm
I should note that unless the song on the soundtrack is severely truncated, it is not Brad Mehldau's Blame it on My Youth which does appear on the soundtrack but is not the song heard in that scene.  It's similar but it's not it and the tempo is also different.

Edited by JR_Ewing - 17 Nov 2013 at 3:49pm
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2013 at 6:01pm
I keep thinking it sounds like Oscar Peterson, lets check this song:
JR_Ewing View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JR_Ewing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2013 at 6:12pm
It could be the Oscar Peterson Trio but it's not any of the songs on the soundtrack album.  Strange thing.  I just skimmed through most of the songs from the Brad Mehldau discography and I didn't hear it.  I'm going to try Oscar Peterson next and after that, Roy Gerson.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2013 at 6:17pm
^ thats not the right song, I'm still looking. Geek
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2013 at 6:19pm
My other choice of piano player is Gene Harris, its a bluesy player with a light refined touch, which fits Peterson and Harris both.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2013 at 6:38pm
By the way, the changes to the song are similar to "Georgia" and another piano player that sounds like this is Nat King Cole.

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2013 at 7:12pm
I can't find it, let me know if you do.
JR_Ewing View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JR_Ewing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2013 at 8:16pm
I appreciate your taking the time to look.  If I find it I'll post it here.  It's a mystery why it's not on the soundtrack as it certainly is a good piece of music.  Maybe Stanley Kubrick paid a composer to whip up a piece of a song just for that scene and it doesn't really exist.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2013 at 8:38pm
It sounds like a classic recording from the 60s or 50s, its hard for people to fake that sound on that good of a level. I could be wrong, but I think its a well known jazz piano player who has a very refined soft touch and a tendency to use blues cliches.
 Oscar Peterson, Gene Harris and Nat King Cole all come to mind, but there are others. 

The chord changes sound somewhat like "Georgia on my Mind", but those changes are similar to other songs too.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2013 at 8:51pm
Here is Oscar Peterson playing "Georgia on my Mind", its very similar to your sample.

Edited by js - 17 Nov 2013 at 8:52pm
JR_Ewing View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JR_Ewing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2013 at 10:16pm
I found it!! Smile

Odd thing.  The title matches a title on the soundtrack but it's not the same song.

The song is called I Got It Bad and That Ain't Good  by the Oscar Peterson Trio.  The song on the soundtrack with the same title matches a song that is played during a scene when the main character is in the Sonata Cafe talking with his friend Nick.

This is the song from the Album Night Train by the Oscar Peterson Trio and is the music played during the kissing scene:

Choose "Download This File" and click open when prompted.
http://www.wikiupload.com/VWRFR8KE6Y12UKA
Compare with this from the link you posted earlier and it is not the same:

This is just another mystery as to how this could happen, but I'm glad I found the song.  The link to the Night Train album is actually on the same page as the Youtube link you posted, so you did help me after all.  Thanks!

Edited by JR_Ewing - 17 Nov 2013 at 10:21pm
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2013 at 10:40pm
Yeah, I thought the chord changes sounded similar, but one had a guitar and the other didn't, should have thought to look for other versions of the same song. I guess that was Kubrick's little joke to use two versions of the same song.
Thus ends my internet searching, I saw a movie site where you had posted.
JR_Ewing View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JR_Ewing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2013 at 12:50pm
Thank you, again, for your help.  I really appreciate it very much.

It takes movies to help me to appreciate the jazz music genre.
I grew up with the Beach Boys, the Beatles, and Elvis. 

Eyes Wide Shut opened the door to jazz music.

Thank you.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic