JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sub-genre Identification

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soziblewuup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sub-genre Identification
    Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 4:52pm
Hi there. 

I know next to nothing about different types of Jazz, and I was listening to a Jack Harris vinyl earlier today and fell in love with the song "Amoresque" originally by Sid Phillips, I believe. 

It can be previewed here (first track). http://www.amazon.co.uk/Amoresque/dp/B0055YUOH0  

For another reference point there is also Denny Dennis - The Touch Of Your Lips. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4tQAzz1Ptg

Even though this is vocal based, it has the same, almost trembling, lead and slow pace. If someone could also tell me the correct term for what sounds like a small pitch bend, that would be great (you've started to render an image of how little I actually know about music haha). 

I am trying to find slower Jazz like this and have no clue what to search. Could anyone help me identify the sub-genre? 

much appreciated, 
Jack

Edited by soziblewuup - 12 Sep 2013 at 4:54pm
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 5:44pm
Sure, give me a few minutes or so to check out your samples and I will get back to you.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 5:54pm
Both of your samples are from the Swing genre. Swing peaked in the 1930s and early 40s, but its a long lasting style that has enjoyed many comebacks and many people still like swing. Its great music for couples dancing.
Not all swing is mellow like that, it was meant to be dance music, so often its uptempo, but there were always some slow dance tunes in there for people who wanted something a little more romantic.

Almost any swing record will have a mix of uptempo and slower songs.
My first suggestion for mellow swing music is Lester Young, a beautiful saxophone player who favored more laid back tempos.

Let me know if you want more suggestions or help.
soziblewuup View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soziblewuup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 7:35pm
That's great; thanks for your help and the information! 

Just had a listen to Lester Young and that's the kind of stuff I'm after. Although I do prefer a clarinet, oboe, or any other softer woodwind instrument as the lead. Do you have any other suggestions down that path? 

Thanks again.  

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 7:49pm
There are not many oboe players in the swing era, but plenty of clarinet players.
Benny Goodman is one of the best. He plays a lot of uptempo stuff, but you'll find some mellow numbers too.
Bobby Gordon is a modern clarinet player who played in an older swing style, and there are more too.

One more saxophonist I would recommend for having a nice pretty tone is Coleman Hawkins.

Edited by js - 12 Sep 2013 at 7:50pm
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 8:29pm
Another swing clarinet player you may be interested in is Barney Bigard.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic