JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

World Music Artist Marcus Corbett New CD

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glassonyonpr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: World Music Artist Marcus Corbett New CD
    Posted: 10 Sep 2013 at 9:29pm
For Immediate Release

World Music Artist Marcus Corbett Releases Highly Anticipated Debut Album Strung Deep

“Marcus Corbett is an artist with a unique blend of intricate acoustic guitar brilliance and a primal vocal delivery influenced by his years in India. A rare exotic jewel.” - Sonja Kristina (Curved Air)

London, UK – Much to the excitement of music enthusiasts worldwide, Folk-World music artist Marcus Corbett has released his highly anticipated debut album Strung DeepBased between Marlborough and Oxford in the UK and Pune in India, and having gigged the length and breadth of the UK and on the western coast of India, Marcus has quietly been gaining an esteemed reputation for his esoteric, unique blend of Indian classical music and British folk. Says Marcus, “I have studied Indian Classical Music because it is (for me) an undeniably beautiful and compelling musical genre. In my composition, I do not try to play it directly as my music is mine and mine alone.”

Marcus started to travel to India in the mid ‘70s and has since spent the following decades continuing to cultivate an ongoing relationship with Tabla and Indian Classical Music. As Corbett puts it – “I traveled first to India as a wide eyed 18 year old and I heard a Tabla solo by the river Ganga. All I can say is my world changed; but it was the vocal that really hooked me – the voice in the music found an echo in me.”

On the subject of his musical influences, aside from his times in India, Marcus states, “I've been affected by John MartynNick Drake,Roy Harper – anybody that makes the guitar sing or speak. John McLaughlin with the 'Mahavishnu Orchestra' and early 'Shakti' was a revelation as has been Jerry Garcia's soulful musicality.”

Over the last decade Corbett has been on yearly travels to Pune and Gadag in western India to work with renowned Tabla players Nitin Gaikwad and Sharanappa Gutteragi. The most recent in a series of recordings to come out of these sessions is Strung Deep.

Mostly recorded with engineer Abhijit Saraf of Musical Stars Studios in Pune, Strung Deep perfectly encapsulates the beauty, grace and dexterity of Corbett’s extraordinary talent and unique vision to fuse UK and European folk musics with India classical tradition. Aided and abetted by the majestic Bansuri (Indian flute) playing of Milind Date and exquisite violin talents of Sanjay Upadhye, Strung Deep is a joyous meeting of musical worlds.

“...perfect Sunday morning music... I really enjoyed listening through it – it is a very well paced and interesting listen.” – Nigel House (founder of Rough Trade)

Comprised of 4 tracks spread across 32 minutes Strung Deep is, as Marcus describes, lyrically themed on finding hope and resolution in the face of bereavement and tragedy – “Strung Deep traces a journey from the depths of insecurity and bleakest of outlooks experienced in a dream to waking up in the morning and joyfully re-engaging with the light of day. It is a celebration of the rich texture of life.”

“Highly original acoustic guitar based hybrid folk with atmospheric vocals” – Sound On Sound Magazine

With Strung Deep being Marcus Corbett's first formal commercial release it seems that it is finally time for one of folk’s best kept secrets to get the recognition he has for so long deserved.

So Lonely (pt 2) video (second version): http://youtu.be/Oet4qjYZ5zM

To purchase Marcus Corbett Strung Deep CD:

For more information:

Press inquiries: Glass Onyon PR, PH: 828-350-8158[email protected]
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2013 at 10:11pm
Thanks for that, I was just listening to some of his new album. we'll get him added to the site.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 1:08pm
Thanks for this :)
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 3:38am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic