JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >I Have A Question For You......?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Song ID

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Song ID
    Posted: 22 Nov 2023 at 7:16am
Hi All,
Can anyone identify this song, please? This is the intro played twice. Ignore the sound of a person sighing!
It's about ten minutes long. I recall the lead instrument is a trumpet. It sounds very much like Miles but I've been through his entire catalogue with no success.

I've uploaded the song onto YouTube, please ignore the video which has nothing to do with the song; I had to find a random bit of video in order to upload it!

please put the following in YouTube search:

https://youtu.be/S-zDBJVebR4

Any help appreciated, many thanks.

Edited by ChrisA - 22 Nov 2023 at 7:20am
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2023 at 7:37am
Here is your clip in a format that is easier for people to access. I don't hear any trumpet.

ChrisA View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2023 at 8:10am
Hi JS,

Many thanks for posting the clip in a more accessible way.

I should have explained that the trumpet features after the intro. I only have the intro to share!  

From memory, the intro 'vamp' is maintained throughout the song, which is dominated by trumpet, with a trumpet solo on top. It's from the 1970s or 80s. 

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2023 at 8:18am
My only guess is that the piano vamp sounds like Ramsey Lewis or Herbie Hancock. 

Edited by js - 22 Nov 2023 at 8:19am
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2023 at 8:19am
have you tried one of those new apps that recognize songs?
ChrisA View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2023 at 8:56am
Hi JD,

You got it! 

When you mentioned Herbie Hancock it rung a very distant bell (forty years distant!), so I looked at Herbie Hancock's discography and recognised an album of his I used to own, Called 'Quartet' from 1981.

The song's called 'A Quick Sketch' and the trumpet player is Wynton Marsalis.

Thank you so much! You've made me very happy.

Regards,Chris

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2023 at 9:09am
Awesome, love it when these mysteries are solved. I'm going to move this to the I Have a Question section. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic