Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dianne Fraser's Debut Album "YOU AND I"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dianne Fraser's Debut Album "YOU AND I"
    Posted: 14 Nov 2023 at 11:27pm

VOCALIST DIANNE FRASER RELEASES DEBUT ALBUM,

A TRIBUTE TO THE MUSIC AND LYRICS OF LESLIE BRICUSSE

YOU AND I

Coming December 1, 2023 on Blujazz

DIANE FRASER - You and I cover

STREAM   

DIANNE FRASER had wanted to be a Broadway star since she was five years old. Although life would eventually take her down a different path, she never lost her love of music and her desire to perform. Now, in the middle of a successful career as a literary manager for film and television writers, she is finally releasing her debut album, YOU AND I, an homage to the words and music of Leslie Bricusse.

A Los Angeles native, Fraser is a storyteller who uses her warm, expressive voice to capture the beating heart of a lyric. She joined forces on YOU AND I with some impressive local talent. Pianist and arranger TODD SCHROEDER has collaborated with many distinguished performers, such as Leslie Odom Jr., Billy Porter, Tom Jones, and Postmodern Jukebox. He also enjoyed a 25-year association with the late Angela Lansbury and was a music and vocal director for several live shows, including Disney's Aladdin, A Musical Spectacular and Wicked at Universal Studios Japan. Bassist ADAM COHEN has worked with luminaries including Ray Charles, The New York Voices, David Benoit, Ernie Watts, Phil Upchurch, and Mark Isham. Also joining Fraser is her sister, drummer DENISE FRASER, who plays regularly with the Restless Blues Band and has performed in Broadway and Off-Broadway shows.

Fraser has always loved the songs of Leslie Bricusse. A film and theater composer who wrote many iconic tunes like “What Kind of Fool Am I?” and “Pure Imagination,” he also received two Academy Awards®, a Grammy Award® and four Tony Award® nominations. Fraser decided to record an album while working with Schroeder on developing a live show featuring Bricusse’s songs.

Fraser’s life took many twists and turns before she finally returned to music, her first true love. She took singing lessons when she was a little girl because she loved musical theater. In college, she entered UCLA as a music major, but eventually switched her major to French after spending a year in Bordeaux.

After graduating, Fraser moved to New York City with hopes of breaking into the theater scene. She performed in summer stock and Off Broadway shows, but found it difficult to land a big role, so she decided to create her own opportunities. She and a couple of friends revived The Baker’s Wife, a show by Stephen Schwartz, which never made it to Broadway. Working directly with Schwartz, Fraser and friends produced the show at the Lobero Theatre in Santa Barbara. She later reunited with Schwartz as a producer on the revised version of the musical Working, which ran at Chicago’s Broadway Playhouse.

Fraser soon moved back to Los Angeles and began performing in musical theater. She has appeared in regional theatre productions of The Boys From Syracuse, which received a Bay Area Theatre Award nomination, The Music Man, Tintypes, She Loves Me, Hello, Dolly!, Once Upon A Mattress, Oklahoma!, The Pirates Of Penzance, The Mikado and H.M.S. Pinafore. She created a long-running variety show, An Evening of Classic Broadway, which was nominated for a Los Angeles Regional Broadway World Award for Special Theatre Event. She also created and performed the critically acclaimed show, Part Time Diva, on stages in Los Angeles, Palm Springs, and San Francisco.

To help pay the bills, Fraser became an assistant at a television production company. A gregarious person at ease connecting with people, her husband suggested that she would make a great agent. She soon began assisting a friend at a talent agency, and a new career path opened for her. Representing televisions writers, her work caught the attention of ICM, one of the biggest talent agencies in the world. ICM invited her to join the company as Vice President of Series Packaging and TV Literary.

After several years of working for ICM, she accepted a position as a partner in the management/production company Industry Entertainment Partners. Her new position allowed her to spend time on her own creative endeavors, one of which was creating her Part Time Diva show and a new show which became the inspiration for her debut album, YOU AND I.

Fraser sets the tone for the album with a medley of two songs from the movie Dr. Dolittle, a heartfelt rendition of “At the Crossroads” and a jaunty take on “After Today.” She covers “Pure Imagination” from Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory and “Feeling Good” from the musical The Roar of The Greasepaint -- The Smell of The Crowd. She sings a mashup of “Crazy World” and “If I Ruled the World.” The music for “Crazy World” was written by Henry Mancini for the film Victor/Victoria. Bricusse wrote “If I Ruled the World” with Cyril Ornadel for a lesser-known musical called Pickwick. The song was a hit for Tony Bennett, and was also recorded by The Supremes, Tom Jones, and Stevie Wonder.

As a Francophile, Fraser could not resist putting a French spin on “Le Jazz Hot,” another song from the movie Victor/Victoria. “Happiness” is from the movie musical Scrooge. She sings another mashup of two tunes, the iconic “Look at that Face,” with music and lyrics by Leslie Bricusse and Anthony Newley, and “Something in Your Smile,” words and music by Bricusse for the film Dr. Dolittle, featuring a duet with singer DAMON KIRSCHE, a stage and screen actor known as a leading interpreter of traditional popular songs.

The song “Once in a Lifetime,” which has become a jazz/pop standard, is from the musical Stop the World - I Want to Get Off, the first major success for Bricusse and Anthony Newley. Fraser pairs it with “This Is the Moment” from the musical Jekyll & Hyde, with music by Frank Wildhorn and lyrics by Bricusse. She has loved the song “You and I” since the first time she heard Petula Clark sing it in the movie Goodbye, Mr. Chips. The song was the initial inspiration for the album. Fraser closes with “Two for the Road” by Mancini and Bricusse, an intimate song she dedicates to her husband.

The songs of Leslie Bricusse, a celebrated composer and lyricist for film and theater, have been performed by countless vocalists. Now, Dianne Fraser adds hSter own sensitive interpretations and crystalline voice to his poignant and engaging music.

# # #

YOU AND I will be released on December 1, 2023 on Blujazz and will be available on all platforms.

Online:

Diannefraser.com

Facebook.com/dianne.fraser.5

Instagram: @dianne_fraser77

X: @diannefraser77

Blujazz.com/cd-new-releases

Edited by snobb - 14 Nov 2023 at 11:28pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic