JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Suggest new bands/artists to JMA
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gary Wilson [US]

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AshtrayHeart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gary Wilson [US]
    Posted: 14 Oct 2023 at 7:37pm
Gary Wilson [US] for Funk Jazz/Jazz Related Rock/Jazz Related Electronica

Artist Photo https://i.scdn.co/image/ab6772690000dd22fb7872bde88b8d728f4c76a8

Hailing from Endicott NY, avant garde rock experimentalist Gary Wilson has been making music since his childhood, playing a stand up bass at age ten for his school band. At age twelve Wilson would acquire a tape machine and would record music in his parents basement, around this time he would become fascinated with rock'N roll. Shortly after he would start playing an organ and would play in a short lived garage psych band called Lord Fuzz. In 1969 Wilson discovered the music of John Cage and would even meet with him, Cage would give Wilson the advice "If your music/performance doesn't irritate people, you aren't doing your job" and since then Wilsons music would take an experiential turn. In 1976 Wilson would record his most infamous album "You Think You Really Know Me" and with help from his new band The Blind Dates. His stage presence would be very bizarre, often using duck tape on his body and bed sheets, flour, milk and fake blood would also be common at his shows. In 1978 he would move to California thanks to him being under a new label and would record two EPs titled Forgotten Lovers and a more rock'N roll influenced EP tilted Invasion Of Privacy, they wouldn't gain much traction at the time however he would receive fan mail from The Residents, Wilson would tour in 1981 before leaving the music scene for twenty years. In the early 2000s a record label called Motel Records would attempt to search for the musician, even going as far to hire a private detective but were unsuccessful at the time, they would eventually find him through ex band members, once the label found him he would give permission to repress You Think You Really Know Me and would also start playing live again and would release an updated version of Forgotten Lovers. Shortly after Wilson would join the label Stones Throw and would release his album "Mary Had Brown Hair" and would be the first album in nearly thirty years to have original material. The album would have a huge change in sound, the album being made completely of electronic instruments, this would from then on be Gary's trademark sound

6.4=Make Out
https://youtu.be/lzdqCaJsYic?si=bjZAP7v4-p_qyKIN

You Keep On Looking 
https://youtu.be/2Ir6-Yk7QQo?si=Y21noFkO1f4JCVIU

She Makes Me Think Of Endicott
https://youtu.be/Lsk46OVlPRo?si=zpecEvhtGR_UmSDS

I Will Do What It Takes
https://youtu.be/DTLlqXx-0vE?si=F02wS836UfCQF7i6

Another Galaxy
 https://youtu.be/VJftqloQj_g?si=A2jpxCjL7j3qbcIo
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2023 at 9:51am
Thanks, but we are passing on this one.
AshtrayHeart View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AshtrayHeart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2023 at 6:53am
Any reason why? I don't see why he can't be here
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2023 at 7:15am
We're a mostly jazz site, some RnB and blues, jazzy rock etc.
Gary is an amusing outsider avant-pop kind of guy, very creative, but its not the kind of music we feature on here. 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AshtrayHeart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2023 at 7:22am
I don't understand though, he's still a form of jazz music he can't at the very least be related? Captain Beefheart, Tom Waits and Frank Zappa are here so avant jazz rock isn't alien to the site
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2023 at 7:37am
No, the three you listed have more jazz or RnB/blues in their music. Have you tried taking Gary to any other jazz sites besides this one?
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AshtrayHeart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2023 at 7:50am
Gary is an electronic jazz funk musician, he's perfect the Jazz Related Electronica label. Does a musician have to have a specific style to be here? If so where is the line drawn, and why?
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2023 at 7:53am
Try taking him to another jazz site and see what they say. 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AshtrayHeart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2023 at 8:09am
What other jazz site? Also thanks for ignoring my question
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2023 at 8:22am
Use your search engine to find jazz sites, there are lots of them. You need to hear more opinions from jazz fans. 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AshtrayHeart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2023 at 8:47am
I want him on this site because the whole point of this specific site is archival purposes and Gary belongs here because he's a jazz musician and he's very obscure(so if I were to use another site people wouldn't know who is his) and this site would potentially help people find him. Again you aren't giving a reason why he's not a jazz musician other than you personally don't "vibe" with it if you pay attention to how his music is composed it's very much jazz, and again Beefheart, Tom Waits and Zappa are here and Gary Wilson jazz roots are very much in jazz funk, hell whats stopping his electronic albums from being in the pop label at the least?
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2023 at 9:14am
Have you ever visited any jazz sites besides this one?
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AshtrayHeart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2023 at 9:25am
Yeah and I don't like them, JMA is one if my favorite websites in general. Gary Wilson can't be here because...? (I also doubt you've listened to any Gary Wilson)
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2023 at 9:42am
I listened to about five of his albums, he's witty and amusing and I enjoyed listening to him. I also like The Monkees, Iggy Pop, Deep Purple, David Bowie, Ravel and Stravinsky, but they aren't on here either. 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AshtrayHeart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2023 at 9:52am
He isn't even near classic rock...tf are you on?

Anyway since you haven't listened to any Gary Wilson, listen to these songs and tell me why it's not jazz

Another Galaxy
https://youtu.be/VJftqloQj_g?si=8syRkCuDmDsveEZE

We'll Dance Into The Stars
https://youtu.be/JghdqX8PSII?si=geZHvdzQUIjtcXfo

She Danced Near The Frozen Lake
https://youtu.be/QwycEZ0i6Mw?si=TIo6ct1yGd5AXUMY
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2023 at 9:59am
I said I did listen to him, a couple hours already.

Here is a massive list of sites dedicated to indie music that would probably love to hear about Gary. Go visit them:

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2023 at 10:03am
Okay, that "Another Galaxy" album is the first one I've heard that had some fusion to it. All the other albums I heard by him did not. 
I will consider adding him, but you're going to have to add the albums if we do. 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AshtrayHeart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2023 at 10:20am
I have no problem with adding the albums. Last thing I'm going to say is listen to his electronic music and picture it with live instruments if you don't hear the jazz in it then I'm sorry

Edited by AshtrayHeart - 24 Nov 2023 at 10:21am
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2023 at 12:01pm
Gary Wilson is added, you can add his albums, if you want
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic