JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What got you into jazz?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DustyFoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2017 at 7:32am
By 1999 I had mostly been a classic rock fan, with a smattering of classical, blues and 2 or 3 jazz CDs just to vary my collection a bit. 

Prior to Christmas that year I mentioned to my wife that I should 'add a bit more jazz' to my collection which was 90% rock.  So she bought me the 2-disc Sony release "Jazz- The Definitive Performances" which spanned milestone recordings from 1917-1997.  Almost overnight I became obsessed with the sample tracks from Kind of Blue, Time Out, Mingus Ah Um, Concert By the Sea, and especially "Nica's Dream" by the 1956 edition of the Jazz Messengers.  In fact before too long, I had bought the full albums these tracks originated from.  And not long after that, I had acquired Horace Silver's "Song For My Father" which began my ongoing mission to acquire as many Blue Note albums as I could. 
So in the 17 years since, although I have not stopped listening to non-jazz, jazz in almost all of its forms has been my main interest.  80% of my collection resides in the hard bop/ free bop 1955-1965 release timeframe, but I always enjoy discovering new eras and subgenres.  Lately I have been delving into the soul-jazz era of the late 60s and discovering albums by Reuben Wilson and latter era Grant Green.  But if I ever get sent to that desert island, I will be grabbing as many Horace Silver, Joe Henderson, and Kenny Dorham CDs as I possibly can!
guido View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guido Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 2:28pm
For me it was growing up in a household where Benny Goodman and Charlie Parker recordings were played when I was a baby. Wherever my tastes of the moment stray, I always come back to jazz.
jazzlover98 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzlover98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 2:41am
My dad would always listen to jazz and latin jazz on the radio when I was a kid (and he still does) and we would drive around at night listening to jazz. Nothing better than listening to jazz while looking at the city lights at night.
JonesJazz Fan View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonesJazz Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 5:52pm
Strangely it was video games like Final Fantasy growing up, and anime. I didn't understand what was going on in the music, then my dad was playing a Larry Carlton record, and then I fell in love with the music. The rest is history. I try to incorporate that sound in my own music actually.

https://youtu.be/sKeHGCjlkyM
justfrank View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justfrank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 12:26am
I listened almost exclusively to punk rock until I heard A Night in Tunisia, and was blown away that an album could start out with over a full minute of smashing cymbals and breakneck drums, and instantly fell in love with the genre
Frederic_Alderon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frederic_Alderon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 12:54pm
For sure it was this genius of the saxophone - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Armstrong
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 2:23pm
Louie Armstrong on saxophone?!?
Frederic_Alderon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frederic_Alderon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 1:45pm
This video actually:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMQD3Bv5ZG4&t=1826s
fabiojazz View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fabiojazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2019 at 9:04am
''What'' got me into Jazz has been ..this.. Live Music Show from 1968,!!
As 'young-student' I have seen this totally unknown to me,!! jazz-drummer..: Max Roach, to play a 'Drums Solo'.,!!.
Well, from the 'day-after'..: jazz-drummers were in my 'mind'..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59RTAEhvV4g   
jazzaficionado98 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzaficionado98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2020 at 1:33am
My dad would listen to 88.1 (K-Jazz) in the car as a kid (and he still does). I've always liked both regular jazz and Latin jazz and I've liked it more and more as I've gotten older. 
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2020 at 11:26pm
Since creating this thread 9yrs ago.....I'm proud to write my collection has been growing nicely, especially the past 2-3yrs. Second I walk into a record store I head for the Jazz section.
I have a good selection of styles but really focus on Hard Bop genre, that 1950s-1960s stuff really makes my turntable happy!
My jazz collection....a work in progress.
birdtranescoe View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote birdtranescoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 9:12pm
Hello - can't wait to read everyone's stories Smile  Here's mine in a nutshell..  I played a lot of guitar and listened/played Towner, Metheny, Return to Forever, etc .. But on a car ride across the country I heard sun ship play on the radio, which was a revelation, epiphanous really.  Within a week I happen upon a vinyl copy in the used bin, and - I was hooked.  I've been obssessed since.

pinknote View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinknote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 2:18pm
As a poor, lower-middle class Eastern European with basic musical education from state school (when I say basic, I mean it - we learned about the Western canon, the spirituals, Gershwin and not much else, which allowed me later to view 20th century classical as a more rebellious thing than it is perceived in some more privileged quarters nowadays...), it was a cable channel - Mezzo TV - that exposed me to the beauty of jazz, though not in a very diverse manner - their narrow programme for jazz was stuffed mostly with French jazz, European jazz, and not the most adventurous -, yet it still was exciting to hear while seeing how musicians perform... My town didn't have a jazz festival (there is one organized instead in Tulcea, but I never afforded even going there), and the only jazz club faded away by the time I matured, so my biggest friend has been the Internet in this matter.

Before Brexit, I was daydreaming about potentially living around London and taking the underground to Cafe Oto, but I am more likely to move out from Romania to Germany, perhaps Berlin. 
Roadrunner14 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roadrunner14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 12:22am
Similar to some of the others, I was looking for a change from rock, metal, pop, and stumbled across Norah Jones, Tom Waits, then that led to Nina Simone and from there into the usual suspects of Miles Davis, Art Pepper, John Coltrane, and the list goes on and on from there as I explore.
ManyRiversMan View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ManyRiversMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2022 at 12:02pm
Parents
ManyRiversMan View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ManyRiversMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2022 at 12:04pm
UK will always have the underground. No matter how dumb out government is x andyhay.bandcamp.com
shrews824 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shrews824 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2022 at 8:54am
Well, like most here I'm sure, I was way into music as a child and young adult.  I always felt like I had a passion for music that the majority of my peers didn't have.  I seemed to always seek out music that was either uncommon or not the most popular.  Not that I didn't like a lot of popular music (still do actually), but I liked listening to different stuff regardless of style.  

Truthfully, it wasn't until I was 23 that I really began to listen to jazz.  I had been playing guitar for about 6 or 7 years at that point and had generally gravitated toward the typical classic rock, popular rock of the day (1990's).  I had a friend ask me if I had ever heard of Mike Stern.  Of course, I hadn't so he played me the 1999 release Play.  That really peaked my interest.  He made me a copy and I wore that thing out!!!  Even though that wasn't a typical jazz record it did possess a lot of jazz characteristics.  From then on I was hooked and dipping my toe into various other guitarists along the same vein.  Sco, Metheny, Martino, etc.  And just over the years I began to dive deeper and deeper into the realm of jazz.  

The great thing about it also is that no matter what I discover, if it's old or very popular to some, it's all new and fresh to me.  It's like I can have a brand new track or album everyday!!!  There is so much to be explored that I doubt I'll ever reach the bottom of the rabbit hole!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic