What got you into jazz?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2012 at 10:23am
Ha, you guys are close by, I'm in Memphis. Is South Miss in Jackson?
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2012 at 10:17am
University of Southern Mississippi
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2012 at 11:53pm
Where does your Dad teach?
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2012 at 10:34pm
My dad is a jazz educator and saxophonist. My brothers are finishing up their jazz degrees. Of course, with such a family, I was already introduced to jazz. My appreciation of it came in surges, with each surge appreciating it more than I did before. 
bytor2112 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bytor2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2012 at 10:39pm
Originally posted by idlero idlero wrote:

I was bored listening again and again toi the same classic and prog music , I needed some new music to listen to, so I started to listen to jazz.

Me to, although I am still happy with my prog. But it used to be that if I wasn't in the mood for Prog and it's many subgenres, I just wouldn't listen to music. But now Jazz can fill that gap for me, I'll never not have to listen to music again!LOL
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2012 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by Amilisom Amilisom wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=km6JVqpc85Y&feature=share&list=UUnMDBu3GIm317SHbaUa6T1A

Um, well don't say I didn't warn you

The real intention does not know how I felt the performance that you went for. However, you put it in Youtube surely. I have not heard the arrangement that soaked "Freddy Freeloader" with variety. In Latin rhythm and swing in funk. Even as for the flexibility of the tempo.
Please do not think that the performance is bad. I enjoyed your performance really enough.
Amilisom View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amilisom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2012 at 12:42pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=km6JVqpc85Y&feature=share&list=UUnMDBu3GIm317SHbaUa6T1A

Um, well don't say I didn't warn you
"Pay no attention to what the critics say; there has never been a statue set up in honor of a critic."

-Jean Sibelius
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2012 at 1:36am

^ At least I wait for an opportunity to see it. Smile

Amilisom View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amilisom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2012 at 1:24am
Jazz Band class in high school. But it wasn't just that in itself, mostly when we arranged combos one trimester and I realized how fun playing in a combo can be. The freedom of improvisation and communication. My friend did a really interesting arrangement of Freddy Freeloader that involved switching the feel from swing to latin to funk, which was recorded and I put on youtube, despite how much we sucked   
"Pay no attention to what the critics say; there has never been a statue set up in honor of a critic."

-Jean Sibelius
smartpatrol View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smartpatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2012 at 3:55pm
Time out by Dave Brubeck
nuff said
chuckyspell View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckyspell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 5:08pm
This may be the silliest if not shallowest reason...but in 1988 I was reading an interview with Megadeth's Dave Mustaine complaining that Jeff Young the other guitar player in the band at the time was really into Al Di Meola and that was all. So I looked in my big brother's collection and voila Elegant Gypsy was there...and here I am.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2012 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Originally posted by Ovalotus Ovalotus wrote:

My parents listening to Vince Guaraldi.

Oh yeah, The Charlie Brown Christmas music when I was really young didn't hurt.

Same here. I used to listen to A Charlie Brown Christmas soundtrack a lot when I was 11 and 12, before I really "got into" music.
My Last.fm

“I go out onstage, and my intention is to make the first four rows bleed from their ears.”

-Sonny Sharrock
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2012 at 7:41pm
Yes. I did not know all of musicians who appeared for the festival. Probably it does not consist of only the pure jazz musician. However, such a festival is carried out in Japan. And I thought that I could look for the name of the musician whom at least people knew by a list.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2012 at 7:29pm
Holy cow!  A lot of big guns in that one.  Also a lot of names I don't know.  That's the best thing about these festivals is discovering artists you don't know.
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2012 at 6:46pm

By the way, such an event is going to be held next month in Japan.

http://www.tokyo-jazz.com/en/artists/index.html

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2012 at 6:27pm
Jazz Rock, of course, and free Jazz concerts in Piedmont Park in Atlanta.

Originally posted by Ovalotus Ovalotus wrote:

My parents listening to Vince Guaraldi.

Oh yeah, The Charlie Brown Christmas music when I was really young didn't hurt.

Edited by Slartibartfast - 20 Aug 2012 at 7:27pm
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2012 at 5:31am
Friends who were older and had broader tastes than me. I think I had to be lent a few albums multiple times. I too was getting tired of metal and my favourite rock bands like Zeppelin & Floyd, though I still love them both

Miles was the one they started me with, not any of the fusion stuff, but some Hard Bop and KOB. Pretty sure I looked into Herbie Hancock's Head Hunters next.

We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
HURBRET View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HURBRET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2012 at 11:49pm
I was a classical musician before anything else, and what really started it was the classical pianist Earl Wild's interpretations of Gershwin tunes. Around that time, my brother got into prog rock and so did I, so I received a simultaneous upbringing in "classic" jazz and jazz fusion.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2011 at 9:53pm
I was still very much a "noob" to progressive rock when I was introduced to this album...

...and the rest is history
My Last.fm

“I go out onstage, and my intention is to make the first four rows bleed from their ears.”

-Sonny Sharrock
kmurphy View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmurphy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2011 at 9:20pm
I got into jazz by first learning to read and play in an orchestral setting, then formed a rock group that listened to a lot of dead…not the proudest time in my life… but i was young and wanted to learn how they jammy jammed so well.

So i discovered Paul Desmond. My life changed forever! There will never be another person who can speak as paul desmond did.

Heres a couple of my favorites that made me fall in love with jazz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkcRo7oUIro&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KwdZHDJi64
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic