JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Grover Washington Jr.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siddhant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grover Washington Jr.
    Posted: 07 Aug 2013 at 9:27pm
Hey guys!

So I've recently gotten into Jazz and have found an artist that I've become obsessed with. The artist is, as the title conveys, Grover Washington Jr. The purpose of this post is to firstly, find awesome stuff about and perceptions of his music. Secondly, I hope to find more music like his.

I have found one song that sums up why I like his stuff so much, which is 'Until it's time for you to go' from Inner city blues. The tone, the groove and the composition itself is pure genius! however, there are two questions I have about the song. Now, there is a part in the song with just 4 notes that play with an interval of 4 counts (i'm pretty bad at talking about music objectively) and kinda sounds like an altissimo with some reverb. The lead is also played with the same instrument without the reverb, probably. First, I want to confirm if it is a Saxaphone at all. (Also, isn't the tone insane?? :D). Also, I'm pretty new to jazz, so while looking for more music like Washington's (and in particular, with a 'feel' like this particular song's), which sub-genre should I be looking into? Smooth Jazz doesn't isn't exactly it.

I know how it can get pretty hard finding the same sound of an artist even within the same sub-genre, so recommendations genres with a similar sound are more that welcome! :) 

Thanks Guys.
Rock Steady!
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2013 at 9:34pm
Hold on, I have that album, let me check out the part you're talking about and I'll get back to you, give me a few minutes here.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2013 at 9:53pm
I just listened to the song, I didn't hear anything particularly unusual, thats just Grover playing his tenor sax. He goes a little high a few times, thats probably altisimo range, but he does that all the time. 
There are some easy listening strings in the background with heavy reverb.

This song probably falls into the Pop Jazz genre on our site, but it also leans a bit towards Jazz Related RnB. I like Grover, he's great, I tend to go for his more RnB side. You'll need to check out "Mr Magic", his big classic song.some time.

As far as music like this song goes, David Sanborn comes to mind, also you might want to check out this new RnB smooth jazz supergroup called BWB, they just released an album of Michael Jackson songs that sounds great.

I'll try to get back to you with some more similar artists.

Edited by js - 07 Aug 2013 at 9:54pm
siddhant View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siddhant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2013 at 3:54am
I've heard a bit of David Sanborn and love Mister Magic (one of my favorite Washington albums!). The thing with Sanborn is that he's almost too 'pop-y' for my liking (I see how that's the worst way to explain myself, but bear with me :p). The reason why I like that song is probably more because of the ambient or 'spacey' elements of it than the pop-y ones. [Though I can see how you'd classify it (and a lot of his other stuff) as pop-Jazz.]. It sounds like it has some cerebral psychedelic elements in there too while essentially being jazz, to the point where I could have mistaken it for a modern day downtempo/psybient act with heavy jazz influences. So it's these elements that I'm looking for. 

PS - I heard BWB..they sound great! A lot of fun! thanks for the recommendation! :)

thanks!

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2013 at 7:07am
Yeah, I know what you are talking about, that proto trip-hop sound, I like that too. 

Try out Bennie Maupin's album, "Slow Traffic to the Right" a nice cross between psychedelic jazz and pop jazz, also the song "Vein Melter" by Herbie Hancock.
Les McCann's "invitaion to Lightness" might be worth checking out, but its less on the pop side.
I haven't listened to Herbie Mann's "Stone Flute" in a while, but it might be along those lines too, I'll try to get some more for you.

Edited by js - 08 Aug 2013 at 9:09am
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2013 at 9:11am
Lonnie Liston Smith Cool
siddhant View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siddhant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2013 at 11:03am
Huge problem man..apparently, the song I was talking about wasn't Until it is time for you to go. I heard it on a mix wrongly titled that. I can't find the mix anymore and realized it was the wrong title after I got the song. So, now I'm in a terrible fix. I just can't seem to be able to find that song! :s Come to think of it, it kinda sounds like a cover/different version of Mister Magic. And the part I was talking about? I think it'll help to tell you that it's just 4 sustained notes that seem to increase by an octave each time..I'm really hoping someone can help me find it!
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2013 at 12:03pm
http://www.allmusic.com/album/inner-city-blues-mw0000192866

Here is a link where you can sample all the songs from "Inner City Blues", see if your re-mix is based on one of those songs.
siddhant View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siddhant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2013 at 1:05pm
I think I'm pretty sure it was Mister Magic.
siddhant View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siddhant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2013 at 4:06pm
Oh and thanks for Lonnie Smith man! Really loving his stuff! Just my style! :)
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2013 at 4:25pm
Here's a nice one, "Song for a Friend" by Billy Cobham, more laid back than his usual music at the time.

Edited by js - 23 Sep 2013 at 2:35am
Mr. Grizzly Bear View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Grizzly Bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2013 at 10:30pm
Favorite Grover album (thanks to my Dad) was Soul Box (both volumes). Has a very smoky version of Marvin Gaye's "Trouble Man" and closes oddly enough with a very fiery rendition of Billy Cobham's "Taurian Matador" scored for full big band, (Cobham himself plays on it ) and takes it pretty out (for a CTI record).
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic