JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Billie Holliday or Robert Johnson fans?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kiefntee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Billie Holliday or Robert Johnson fans?
    Posted: 15 Jul 2013 at 3:09pm
Its rare these days to find someone that gives this woman the respect her music deserves. especially from the younger generation.

Im 22, and people look at me like Im crazy when I have them listen to some old jazz.
I think theyre crazy when they turn on dubstep.

Anyways,
I (semi)recently made a song on an instrumental that sampled a Billie Holliday song.
I thought to give it the proper respect it deserves, It should entail something with her as well.

The lyrics (save for the first verse) are song titles throughout her career.

as rare as it is to find Billie Holliday fans these days, its rarer to find a Robert Johnson fan, let alone someone whose heard of him.
The first verse are song titles from his career.

The song is also symbolic for my life-long relationship with life and its struggles onto eventual over-coming of its fetters

<iframe width="100%" height="166" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapi.soundcloud.com%2Ftracks%2F90542578&amp;color=ff6600&amp;auto_play=false&amp;show_artwork=true"></iframe>
If that doesn't work,
https://soundcloud.com/kiefntee/billy-holliday

Let me know what you think!

for better or worse

<iframe width="100%" height="166" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapi.soundcloud.com%2Ftracks%2F90542578"></iframe>

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2013 at 3:17pm
Hey Kiefntee, welcome to the site. I'll definitely check out your music later, I'm in the middle of practicing right now.
As for Billie Holiday, yes I'm a fan, but I don't have much of her music, hopefully that will change over time. I do like her work with Lester Young.

As for Robert Johnson, I live in the Memphis area and play the occasional blues gig, Robert's influence on this part of the country is huge.

Anyway, looking forward to checking out your music later today, hope you enjoy the site.
Kiefntee View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kiefntee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2013 at 3:21pm

Thanks!

Yeah I was just taking a look around and its pretty unique.

Not too many (that I could find anyway) dedicated to jazz thats still actually active. 

anyways, 

thanks for the reply!

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2013 at 3:24pm
We're very active, at least as far as building the database goes. There's a couple of us here every day adding artists and albums, but our forum can be quiet at times, a lot of our visitors are kind of shy. Wink
Kiefntee View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kiefntee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2013 at 3:33pm

Right. 

Well hopefully Ill add to the activity.

not enough jazz fans these days

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2013 at 3:44pm
i decided to take a few minutes and check out your tune, very well done, you really preserved the integrity of the original, nice work.
Kiefntee View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kiefntee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2013 at 4:36pm

I wish I could take credit for the beat.

That, however, goes to a man by the name of l'orange.

He did an entire cd sampling billie holliday,

Not sure what its called tho off the top of my head

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2013 at 5:40pm
I think its called "Old Soul", its on bandcamp, but you probably already knew that.
Kiefntee View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kiefntee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2013 at 7:37am

Yep, thats it.

That guys a genius in my eyes

Shrdlu View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrdlu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2014 at 12:59pm
I normally dislike vocals in jazz, but Billie was always superb. She regarded herself as just one of the boys on a session, as if she were playing a horn. She will never be surpassed as a jazz vocalist. No-one even comes close.

A few years back, they put out an almost complete collection of her 30s recordings for the various Columbia labels. These were issued either under Teddy Wilson's name or Billie's. The list of sidemen on those is very long, and is a real who's who of jazz musicians of the day. There are plenty of solos on those. (The later recordings for Commodore are, to me, very disappointing, because there are very few solos.)

A well-known video site has Billlie's 1957 live recording of "Fine and Mellow", with a star-studded collection of soloists, including Prez. I wish they had recorded more tracks, but jazz has always been badly neglected it its country of origin.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic