JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Report errors & omissions here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sonny Stitt – The Matadores Meet The Bull

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mssr_Renard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sonny Stitt – The Matadores Meet The Bull
    Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 1:26pm
This one should be Afro Cuban Jazz. I am playing it right now (I bought the lp), and it features Tito Puente and Ray Baretto.

Here is some more proof:

Edited by Mssr_Renard - 16 Mar 2023 at 1:27pm
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 2:22pm
Thanks I'll check it out. I studied and performed Afro-Cuban jazz with esteemed pianist Rebecca Mauleon, so I know the genre fairly well.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 2:57pm
One track is Latin Jazz and there is a Latin percussion breakdown on one song and there is one ballad, but the rest is hard bop with Latin percussion as an add on. Adding Latin percussion to hard bop and soul jazz records was common back then.
Ray Barretto was a very versatile musician, he shows up on lots of RnB and funk albums too.

Edited by js - 16 Mar 2023 at 3:20pm
Mssr_Renard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mssr_Renard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2023 at 2:18am
Okay we'll keep it hardbop then. I will edit the discogs-entry
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2023 at 8:12am
Originally posted by Mssr_Renard Mssr_Renard wrote:

Okay we'll keep it hardbop then. I will edit the discogs-entry
Calling it Latin Jazz would not be way off as it does have a lot of Latin influences, but its definitely not Afro-Cuban jazz. Afro Cuban jazz has very specific rhythms and forms and there are names for all of the rhythms. Matt used to do a lot of the Afro-Cuban tagging for us, but he hasn't been around in a while.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mssr_Renard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2023 at 9:34am
My favorite cuban-flavoured album ever must be: https://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/album/roy-hargrove/habana

But I see it's tagged hardbop aswell
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2023 at 9:45am
^ The tag may be wrong, I'll check it out.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2023 at 10:03am
Originally posted by Mssr_Renard Mssr_Renard wrote:

My favorite cuban-flavoured album ever must be: https://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/album/roy-hargrove/habana

But I see it's tagged hardbop aswell
Yes, lots of Cuban influence on this one, its a hybrid of many styles and not quite pure Afro-Cuban, so I moved it to Latin Jazz. The essence of Afro-Cuban is 3 against 4 rhythms, its the most African jazz genre.

Edited by js - 17 Mar 2023 at 10:05am
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mssr_Renard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2023 at 12:43am
Of course, I forgot about the latin jazz-tag. Except for bossa nova, boogaloo and samba, it's the most used tag for anything with influences from latin America.

I will have to dig into the Afro-Cuban thing. I'm interested now. I know that Tito Puente is latin (Oye Como Va) and Barretto is Boogaloo, wich I like a lot, because of the soul/jazz hybrid. But apparently I was thrown off, and I know no Afro-Cuban jazz. I will check it out.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2023 at 7:31am
You can also check our Latin Rock/Soul category where a lot of the boogaloo stuff goes.
Matt wrote a lot of good Afro-Cuban reviews, he's an expert on the stuff.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic