JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New member: Mssr Renard

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mssr_Renard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New member: Mssr Renard
    Posted: 26 Jan 2023 at 2:14am
Hello,

I am kind of new at Jazz Music Archives but have been a member of Progarchives for ages, so I know how this website and forum works.

I like all kinds of music, ranging from pop to metal, from classical to jazz, from country to r&b/soul, from EDM to krautrock.

Mostly I prefer instrumental music in all kinds of forms and when I listen to pop and rock I prefer the seventies and eighties. When I listen to metal I prefer the eighties and nineties.

The first bands and music I started listening to where progressive rock (from Queen to Barclay James Harvest, Jethro Tull, Gentle Giant, Camel), than I shifted towards southern rock and heavy metal. Than I started to listen to more contemporary music (acid jazz, nujazz, jazzfunk, drum&bass, EDM).

After that I had a long period of hardcorepunk and metal, and than I started to listen extensively to stoner rock, jambandrock and spacerock.

After all these years I still had not picked up the old blues and jazz, wich I started to listen to some 4 or 5 years ago.

To me, jazz and blues are the missing pieces in my musical universe. I really like hardbop, postbop and fusion/jazzrock.

For me music has to have soul and a groove. I am not really fond of most avant-garde jazz and neo-classical music, as it is to serious for me.

My musical mood is dependent on how I wake up. One day I am totally into Uriah Heep or Jethro Tull, the other day I want to listen to heavy metal or Wayne Shorter. And other days I am totally into Psytrance or Psybient like Carbon Based Lifeforms.

The only thing I really don't like is most mainstream pop and rock that was created after 1990. For instance I really don't like Radiohead, Muse and Coldplay. Maybe one day I understand why Radiohead is so brilliant, but I really don't get it.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2023 at 7:30am
^ Hardcore punk of the late 70s and early 80s was fun music, especially the California bands.
Mssr_Renard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mssr_Renard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2023 at 8:17am
I listened more to the urban styles of New York, Brooklyn etc. like Biohazard, Madball, Sick of it All, but also westcoasters like Suicidal Tendencies.

I think I was drawn to the masculinity and tribal choruses.

But all punk is enjoyable in their own way.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2023 at 8:33am
^ Black Flag, Bad Brains and the Dead Kennedys were some that I liked. Bad Brains were a DC band and they had previously been a jazz fusion band, under a different name of course.

Edited by js - 26 Jan 2023 at 8:35am
Mssr_Renard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mssr_Renard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2023 at 8:36am
I never knew that, wich is kind of cool. I love genre-bending. It confuses people, and I like that.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2023 at 9:12am
^ After being about the best hardcore band on the circuit, they eventually became a mostly reggae band.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic