Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Peter Gabriel's first new song in seven years

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Peter Gabriel's first new song in seven years
    Posted: 06 Jan 2023 at 2:03pm
Lifted from his upcoming album 'i/o' 

Peter Gabriel has shared his first new single in seven years, ‘Panopticom, (Bright Side Mix).’

Lifted from Peter Gabriel’s upcoming tenth solo album ‘i/o’, which is his first record of original material in 21 years, ‘Panopticom’ features electronic elements from Brian Eno, backing vocals from Ríoghnach Connolly of The Breath, and music from Gabriel’s frequent collaborators Tony Levin, David Rhodes and Manu Katché.

The song is lyrically inspired by three groups - Forensic Architecture, investigative journalist group Bellingcat and the Gabriel co-founded pioneering human rights organisation WITNESS.

“The first song is based on an idea I have been working on to initiate the creation of an infinitely expandable accessible data globe: The Panopticom,” comments Gabriel.

“We are beginning to connect a like-minded group of people who might be able to bring this to life, to allow the world to see itself better and understand more of what’s really going on.”

Listen to Peter Gabriel's 'Panopticom':

‘Panopticom’ was recorded at Real World Studios in Wiltshire and The Beehive in London, and it has been released today to coincide with the full moon. The lunar phases will guide the release schedule in 2023.

“Some of what I’m writing about this time is the idea that we seem incredibly capable of destroying the planet that gave us birth and that unless we find ways to reconnect ourselves to nature and to the natural world we are going to lose a lot,” explains Gabriel.

“A simple way of thinking about where we fit in to all of this is looking up at the sky… and the moon has always drawn me to it.”

Each release in 2023 will be accompanied by a special piece of art, and the ‘Panopticom’ sleeve was created by Canadian-British installation artist David Spriggs.

Commenting on why he recruited Spriggs for the sleeve, Gabriel said: “It was the theme of surveillance that connected me with the work of David Spriggs because he’d done a piece relating to that.

“David does this amazing stuff using many layers of transparencies so you get these strange creations with a real intensity to them. Part of what he does is imagine what art might look like a few years in the future and then try and create accordingly and I think he’s done that very successfully in this particular piece.”

‘i/o’ is released in 2023 and Gabriel supports its release with a UK & Ireland arena tour in June 2023, which is part of a larger European trek. Head to Planet Rock Tickets to check ticket availability.

i/o - The Tour will see Gabriel playing new material from his forthcoming album i/o, as well as delving into his peerless catalogue of music, with hits, fan favourites and the unexpected. For the shows, Gabriel will be joined by regular band-mates Tony Levin, David Rhodes and Manu Katché.

from https://planetradio.co.uk

Edited by snobb - 06 Jan 2023 at 2:03pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic